Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Fate of mankind

taniwha

Hi UM,

There are alot of nightmares in the world to speak of today. So where are our dreams gone? Have we lost touch with who we are? Its a broad question so I will narrow it down.

The environmental change man is responsible for is likely happening too fast for our naturally timed evolutionary clocks to adapt to and for our planet to cope with. That means we will not be able to evolve biologically quick enough to survive the rate of environmental change, pollution, disease and social ills.

Mini extinctions of life on Earth happens on a daily basis, it is sad and unsustainable fact of industrialized 'progress'. Its time for humanity to awaken or else the mathematical likelihood of self extinction is our likely fate.

Can we look forwards optimistically? Will we unlock the source of our own intelligence perhaps? Is there any potential for humanity to develop further? Or has mankind simply evolved from the cave to the grave?

I believe no problem can exist without solution. So what does it mean to you to be human? All thoughts are welcome, Thanks

Will Earth Be Unlivable by 2050? New Study Reveals Global Warming Increasing Rapidly

"The global warming that was previously predicted to occur within 2,000 years, is now predicted to occur within the lifetimes of some people who are alive even today..."

http://www.designntr...se-droughts.htm

"The bottom line here is that the heat-buildup in our biosphere is happening too fast for species to adapt in any other way than by soaring extinctions, which are already beginning to happen in record numbers. The complex web of ecological changes that will inevitably result from this rapid heat-buildup in our biosphere will cause agriculture to crash, and starvation to become the norm,"

http://www.opednews.com/articles/2/Global-Warming-Is-Rapidly-by-Eric-Zuesse-Climate_Climate-Change_Climate-Change_Climate-Change-Deniers-131226-656.html

Edited by taniwha

Global warming is not mans fault, the ozone levels were higher when man was `nt even around, its just natural climate change. Might be a good thing more land for humans to live on,when the ice melts.:) I`d worry more about those darn asteroids flying around that did the dinos in :cry:

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 3

Global warming is not mans fault, the ozone levels were higher when man was `nt even around, its just natural climate change. Might be a good thing more land for humans to live on,when the ice melts. :) I`d worry more about those darn asteroids flying around that did the dinos in :cry:

Perhaps, but is the percentage of mans contribution to global warming insignificantly measureable?

Global Warming Effects and Causes: A Top 10 List

http://planetsave.co...-a-top-10-list/

Read more at

http://planetsave.co...SCAi68PC8iOP.99

Not to mention the effects that rocket ships aircraft and atmospheric nuclear tests have done to scar the atmosphere.

The planet has no choice but to react to pollutants natural and manmade. Man does have a choice though. There will be a straw which breaks the camels back but predicting that day precisely wont be possible without hindsight in which case it will already have happened and be too late.

Edited by taniwha

Global warming will not cause mass extinction for humans. A pandemic will eventually bring us close, and modern technology is fated to be wiped out, but human brings are very resourceful, the only thing that will really wipe us out totally is a massive comet strike. It something like a mutton star or entering out neck of the woods. As long as the atmosphere is not fundamentally changes or the food chain isn't distrusted beyond repair, humans will pull through to try again in another time.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

Reminds me of this song, and who knows, maybe we will eventually find new homes in the universe, and hopefully, by then, will have learned not to sow our own seeds of destruction.

• Like 1

Newton said the world will end in 2060. Let's wait and see!

Global warming will not cause mass extinction for humans. A pandemic will eventually bring us close, and modern technology is fated to be wiped out, but human brings are very resourceful, the only thing that will really wipe us out totally is a massive comet strike. It something like a mutton star or entering out neck of the woods. As long as the atmosphere is not fundamentally changes or the food chain isn't distrusted beyond repair, humans will pull through to try again in another time.

What is a mutton star??

• Like 1

What is a mutton star??

Hahaha yes well it seems I butchered that whole post. Serves me right posting on my iPhone while half asleep. Auto correct is pretty interesting.

I meant "neutron star". a coupled other words were butchered as well... How funny,

• Like 1

Global warming will not cause mass extinction for humans. A pandemic will eventually bring us close...

In light of ressurecting ancient GIANT viruses its Interesting you should say that, who knows what else global warming will thaw out of the permfrost.

"There is now a non-zero probability that the pathogenic microbes that bothered [ancient human populations] could be revived, and most likely infect us as well,"

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263229

I`d worry more about those darn asteroids flying around that did the dinos in :cry:

modern technology is fated to be wiped out, but human brings are very resourceful, the only thing that will really wipe us out totally is a massive comet strike. .

NEO and the UN take this threat seriously enough to be developing solutions that we might sleep soundly at night. But if the Chelyabinsk meteor is any indication no matter how many watchdogs are active odds are at this stage in our tech one will slip through the backdoor. Like the old saying you dont hear the bullet that hits you.

http://www.examiner.com/article/scientists-wake-up-to-meteor-threat-ancient-greeks-knew-about-2500-years-ago

Reminds me of this song, and who knows, maybe we will eventually find new homes in the universe, and hopefully, by then, will have learned not to sow our own seeds of destruction.

Yes who does know, we do need to grow better habits. Time seems so short and escape from our planet does have appeal to some. It is a huge ask in a short time though. If time be limited that is. I say to all the those future space travellers in all those future spaceships clean up this planet before you leave me in peace lol. I cant see myself getting far without an overwhelming yearning to return. Hmmmm deliverance might be a matter of taste.

Hahaha yes well it seems I butchered that whole post. Serves me right posting on my iPhone while half asleep. Auto correct is pretty interesting.

I meant "neutron star". a coupled other words were butchered as well... How funny,

lol but seriously mini extinctions have been linked to supernova in the distant past so that scenario seems likely again as time runs its course. I think the ozone gets stripped by Gamma rays exposing us to lethal dosages of radiation. In any event we would have years of warning, but what could we do? Hide underground maybe or in caves? Re learn how to live in pre historic ways?

The worlds most imminent radioactive threat is from Fukushima. What if the radioactive tap cant be turned off what then? Is our undoing inching closer as it poisons firstly pacific creatures, local eco systems then distant shores? Migrating a ride with marine birds and mammals to global feeding and breeding grounds, drip feeding into our own diets and becoming a normal part of natures weather cycle?

Hopefully scientists are working around the clock discovering naturally occuring radioactive solvents, or microbes that can digest toxins perhaps or even creating functioning nanobot fungi or sponges to aid the clean up. But this sounds like science fiction as again time is against us. Cavemen no doubt observed, play with fire, youre gonna get burned.

I think history has already heralded our course, starvation, disease, homelessness, war and murders are inevitable.

We already see super resistant antibodies on the rise, our bee's are dying off in massive numbers, war is ever on the horizon and we are mostly connected to a central grid for health, wealth and utilities.

This makes for a super fragile system that could collapse at any time and how many of us are prepared for that.

We cant even light a fire these days if the power goes off or rely on help if an earthquake shatters our comfort zones...

One power outage should be enough to demonstrate our need and reliance on a central distribution grid...is that what we really want?

If not, why do we permit it to be the only way of life for us?

• Like 1

LOL I assumed you meant Neutron Star. I even googled Mutton Star. I was like.. "Hmmm. Could there actually be something I don't know about?" lol j/k

• Like 1

Our ultimate fate is to be made obsolete by the very technology we pursue with endless fervor. I really believe this. More so than any other civilization in human history, ours has excelled at developing technology. The peak of all of it, the pinnacle of our explosive and aggressive technological pursuits will be two things:

A 100% completely mapped virtual reality and an artificial intelligence.

I believe that, given current trends, we will likely become addicted to virtual/augmented reality (think like the movie "Wall-E",) while artificial intelligence(s) and robots will essentially just assume the roles we leave behind. That is mankind's destiny: to give birth to an artificial creation that is superior to us in every way, then we lay back and live out our remaining years in lavish creature comforts.

Edit to add -- there will be some sort of catastrophe before we reach that point. It just doesn't seem plausible that such an aggressive species can have many weapons of mass destruction hidden all over the world and NEVER have a conflict that involves their use.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1

lol but seriously mini extinctions have been linked to supernova in the distant past so that scenario seems likely again as time runs its course. I think the ozone gets stripped by Gamma rays exposing us to lethal dosages of radiation. In any event we would have years of warning, but what could we do? Hide underground maybe or in caves? Re learn how to live in pre historic ways?

The worlds most imminent radioactive threat is from Fukushima. What if the radioactive tap cant be turned off what then? Is our undoing inching closer as it poisons firstly pacific creatures, local eco systems then distant shores? Migrating a ride with marine birds and mammals to global feeding and breeding grounds, drip feeding into our own diets and becoming a normal part of natures weather cycle?

Hopefully scientists are working around the clock discovering naturally occuring radioactive solvents, or microbes that can digest toxins perhaps or even creating functioning nanobot fungi or sponges to aid the clean up. But this sounds like science fiction as again time is against us. Cavemen no doubt observed, play with fire, youre gonna get burned.

I think there are enough prepers and caves in the world to get buy an ozone strip as long as its temporary. Any data on how long it takes the earth to recover from such a thing?

It is possible for us to be come a subterranean race.

As to radiation... Well if its that bad a small bit of the population should have some natural immunities to it. Those people should be able to carry on. The human race ( or was it ancestors of ?) was knocked down to about 2,000 people at one point. 2,000 out of 7-10 billion ( depending on when it happens) should have enough diversity to see us through.

But yes... Primitive skills should not be forgotten. We will certainly need them again someday. There are quit a few Native American proficies that remind us of this. Primitive skills also should not be viewed as parimitive in a simplistic sense. They are actually highly evolved and difficult skills to master.

Try to make friction fire or improve upon a Piut deadfall. You will see what I mean.

I think history has already heralded our course, starvation, disease, homelessness, war and murders are inevitable.

We already see super resistant antibodies on the rise, our bee's are dying off in massive numbers, war is ever on the horizon and we are mostly connected to a central grid for health, wealth and utilities.

This makes for a super fragile system that could collapse at any time and how many of us are prepared for that.

We cant even light a fire these days if the power goes off or rely on help if an earthquake shatters our comfort zones...

One power outage should be enough to demonstrate our need and reliance on a central distribution grid.

Very well said :tu: honestly I think a large majority of people would have to declare they dont have an escape plan mapped out. How many people would be prepared to share their ration of canned beans or make room in their basement for just one more person anyway? Would a global disaster force the hand of humanity, bending us toward more primitive instincts like pack mentality perhaps. Clans might form to battle for any remaining fresh air and water. Hasnt it always been survival of the fittest regardless of the ideals of peace truth and love? Or is there another way.

... is that what we really want? If not, why do we permit it to be the only way of life for us?

The system of things leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. There might be an alternative. Look at Crimea for instance or Syria or Palestine, if the price of ones ideals means death then thats a very persuasive argument to accept things the way they are dished out. However in saying that, Vive Le Resistance!

Our ultimate fate is to be made obsolete by the very technology we pursue with endless fervor. I really believe this. More so than any other civilization in human history, ours has excelled at developing technology. The peak of all of it, the pinnacle of our explosive and aggressive technological pursuits will be two things:

A 100% completely mapped virtual reality and an artificial intelligence.

I believe that, given current trends, we will likely become addicted to virtual/augmented reality (think like the movie "Wall-E",) while artificial intelligence(s) and robots will essentially just assume the roles we leave behind. That is mankind's destiny: to give birth to an artificial creation that is superior to us in every way, then we lay back and live out our remaining years in lavish creature comforts.

Edit to add -- there will be some sort of catastrophe before we reach that point. It just doesn't seem plausible that such an aggressive species can have many weapons of mass destruction hidden all over the world and NEVER have a conflict that involves their use.

One invention that set the technological revolution in motion faster than any other was the wheel. I think its invention was when ancient man truly started thinking outside the square. This type of abstract thinking persists. Its legacy as they say is history.

Your idea of future A.I sounds genuinely surreal and creepy. I like the movie Wall E lol. I think that personal narcissistic cyberworlds already reflect adequate seductive appeal that manipulation and subtle control of mind and emotion is as refreshing to some as a walk in the park.

Oblivious to fate.

tarot-fool.jpg

I think there are enough prepers and caves in the world to get buy an ozone strip as long as its temporary. Any data on how long it takes the earth to recover from such a thing?

Supernova "smoking gun" linked to mass extinctions

http://www.newscient...ml#.UxfDDz9dWVY

Surprisingly ice ages seem to be triggered as a side effect to ozone depletion.

It is possible for us to be come a subterranean race.

As to radiation... Well if its that bad a small bit of the population should have some natural immunities to it. Those people should be able to carry on. The human race ( or was it ancestors of ?) was knocked down to about 2,000 people at one point. 2,000 out of 7-10 billion ( depending on when it happens) should have enough diversity to see us through.

But yes... Primitive skills should not be forgotten. We will certainly need them again someday. There are quit a few Native American proficies that remind us of this. Primitive skills also should not be viewed as parimitive in a simplistic sense. They are actually highly evolved and difficult skills to master.

Try to make friction fire or improve upon a Piut deadfall. You will see what I mean.

I could be wrong but I didnt think resistance to radioactivity would be possible, I thought the gene damage would be irreversible on all living cells.

Have you ever made fire from wood? I have only by striking a match lol. What a great art to master though. That and hunting. I see what you mean about the trap. Simple and effective. Great for catching birds. Pit traps look good for beasts. That with a knack for fishing and assorted weaponry and Id be half way there. Bring on the apocolypse! lol

Edited by taniwha

Supernova "smoking gun" linked to mass extinctions

http://www.newscient...ml#.UxfDDz9dWVY

Surprisingly ice ages seem to be triggered as a side effect to ozone depletion.

I could be wrong but I didnt think resistance to radioactivity would be possible, I thought the gene damage would be irreversible on all living cells.

Have you ever made fire from wood? I have only by striking a match lol. What a great art to master though. That and hunting. I see what you mean about the trap. Simple and effective. Great for catching birds. Pit traps look good for beasts. That with a knack for fishing and assorted weaponry and Id be half way there. Bring on the apocolypse! lol

Yes.... It's not easy. I'm ok at it given the right conditions, by no means a master. Though I am planning to start a friction fire every day for a year eventually.

The piut deadfall catches more than birds. The concept can be scaled up to catch just about anything. If you know various kinds of deadfalls you can be successful at aquiring protein almost anywhere. Mice to bear... Yes there is a deadall to kill a bear.

Trapping is 30 times more effective, you survive by hunting while you check your trap line.

Water

Fire

Traping

Wild edible plants

Field and native medicine

Self defense

Shelter.

Those are your skills for survival. The more you know about how your ancestors did it the more you know how to actually live on your own planet. Most people have forgotten.

• Like 1

Yes.... It's not easy. I'm ok at it given the right conditions, by no means a master. Though I am planning to start a friction fire every day for a year eventually.

The piut deadfall catches more than birds. The concept can be scaled up to catch just about anything. If you know various kinds of deadfalls you can be successful at aquiring protein almost anywhere. Mice to bear... Yes there is a deadall to kill a bear.

Trapping is 30 times more effective, you survive by hunting while you check your trap line.

Water

Fire

Traping

Wild edible plants

Field and native medicine

Self defense

Shelter.

Those are your skills for survival. The more you know about how your ancestors did it the more you know how to actually live on your own planet. Most people have forgotten.

Its interesting that making fire from ice is possible though I dont think snow can be used as a fuel source unfortunately. May I ask who your ancestral link? Mine is Maori / polynesian crossed with English.

Its interesting that making fire from ice is possible though I dont think snow can be used as a fuel source unfortunately. May I ask who your ancestral link? Mine is Maori / polynesian crossed with English.

Native American with some European.

Never made it with ice before. That seems exceptionally difficult. I have thought about freezing a water balloon and giving it a shot on a cold day. Sounds like a project.

I Always wanted to go to New Zealand. I will one day.

Native American with some European.

Never made it with ice before. That seems exceptionally difficult. I have thought about freezing a water balloon and giving it a shot on a cold day. Sounds like a project.

I Always wanted to go to New Zealand. I will one day.

Sure if you get short on contacts look me up when you do youre welcome here. Its a bit like that in NZ we like being hosts :tu:.

That water balloon idea is genius. Another challenge would be finding flintstone or in the absence of those three elements how would you start fire in the desert? Well some things surely just arent meant to be.

Sure if you get short on contacts look me up when you do youre welcome here. Its a bit like that in NZ we like being hosts :tu:.

That water balloon idea is genius. Another challenge would be finding flintstone or in the absence of those three elements how would you start fire in the desert? Well some things surely just arent meant to be.

Most deserts you can find material for a hand or bow drill if you have strong cordage. Probably not something like the pure sands deserts though. But around an oasis you could find material.

The problem with a pure primitive approach is that for a bow drill the string needs to be really tuff. The only material I have found that's good enough for this is showy milk weed, but requires a reverse twist doubled over several times weaving the string. Your boot laces work better. Hand drills are tuff and take practice, but its been done for many thousands of years.

You have got me thinking. A large animal skin filled with water. Then frozen, but frozen while hanging with a large rounded piece of ice with any impurities sinking to the bottom. It could be done with all natural materials. It could then be hung outside your hut or igloo. I'm going to do it.

Yes New Zealand is on my list. The Maori seem like incredible people. NZ seems like a great place to live if SHTF. You are tucked away at the bottom of the world with a population of about what a city is here. I find that awesome.

• Like 1