Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blue Flames?

lovelyevie

Two nights ago (March 1st) my boyfriend and I were driving through some part of Gwinnett county between Loganville and Collin's Hill, and we took a back road to avoid traffic. This was at about ten thirty or eleven at night. There were two police cars parked on the side of the road. One officer was by his car, talking on his radio. The other one was watching another officer drive very slowly down a tree-lined path into the woods. Out of curiosity I looked to see what was going on. At first it looked like a statute of a man lit up by a dim blue light just along the tree tops, but as I looked closer I noticed it was moving and looked like a blue flame. There was no smoke or smell and it didn't spread. I only got a quick look at it, and we didn't drive home that way. Has anyone else seen something like this? I'm a little freaked out and can't find any reports of this anywhere, even on the internet. There are no police reports even close to what I saw.

Edited by lovelyevie
  • Like 1

I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much. Back in my younger day I recall a couple of friends from high school came up to where a bunch of us were hanging out. They were all upset and talking crazy about having seen a resurrection sign in a field. When we managed to calm them down enough to talk coherently about what they'd seen they described seeing a flaming man standing next to a flaming coffin. Then suddenly it would disappear, then come back all of a sudden. Naturally, these guys had been doing a little drinking and just a tiny bit of another recreational material and needless to say their perspective was a tiny bit off.

Ok, so long story short, I got them to take me to where they'd seen this resurrection sign, yes, they were scared to death and yes it did try my patience, but we arrived and sure enough all of a sudden, poof, there was what looked like it could be a flaming man standing next to a flaming coffin. So I got out of the car and started walking across the field. First thing I noticed what the field had been burned off that day. many farmers did that just before plowing a field for the Spring planting back in those days, now EPA will have kittens if they did that on a regular basis. Anyway, when I got up to where the sign was I discovered that there was a simple explanation for it. What was happening is an old tree was the flaming man, and a fallen tree was the flaming coffin. The two had been set a light by the burning of the field earlier in the day and this night there was some mild gusting winds that when they blew caused the trees to flame up. However from the road it did indeed look like what they described, but all it was was a smoldering couple of trees in close proximity to each other. Nothing more.

I can't say what it was you saw but there are any number of possibilities. I suggest you go back in the light of day and with a rational mindset look more closely at the area where you saw this.

• Like 2

Blue flames can be created by nature itself, and if using chemicals like alcoholic stuff. Blue flames can be seen on low lit burners as well as in places with little gravity. As it was moving and not setting anything alight, it seems that it wasn't a flame but something else. Could it have been a blue flame, it's strange but do you remember anymore? what shape was it? how tall was it? did it flicker like a candle?

Two nights ago (March 1st) my boyfriend and I were driving through some part of Gwinnett county between Loganville and Collin's Hill, and we took a back road to avoid traffic. This was at about ten thirty or eleven at night. There were two police cars parked on the side of the road. One officer was by his car, talking on his radio. The other one was watching another officer drive very slowly down a tree-lined path into the woods. Out of curiosity I looked to see what was going on. At first it looked like a statute of a man lit up by a dim blue light just along the tree tops, but as I looked closer I noticed it was moving and looked like a blue flame. There was no smoke or smell and it didn't spread. I only got a quick look at it, and we didn't drive home that way. Has anyone else seen something like this? I'm a little freaked out and can't find any reports of this anywhere, even on the internet. There are no police reports even close to what I saw.

How do you know there was no smoke when it was night and you only got a quick look? Are cops required to put everything on the net?
  • Like 1

When I was a teenager, and lived in east Tennessee, we used to roam all over the back roads out in the country. We went to this abandoned barn one evening, right before sunset. As we were walking back to the car, we heard this weird noise, and when we turned around, there was a huge blue flame shooting out of the ground right next to the barn. We watched it for a minute, then decided we were super creeped out and took off for the car.

As far as we know there were no gas lines or anything out that way, because there were no homes near by, and the barn hadn't seen any upkeep in at least a couple decades.

Still have no idea what it was.

Really hard to say what you saw.Twice i have seen a blue flame. One evening I was with my sister and dad taking a drive on Bulverde Road

north of San Antonio. Near the intersection with Evans I saw by this big mountain cedar tree a glowing bluish light.Why I didn't mention it to them don't know. That was the first time.The next time was driving down Friendship Road near New Berlin and it was dusk. .My dad was driving.I just happend to look to the left towards an old stone house that was abandoned. and sat between two other homes.I saw this bluish light again.Neither times did these look like a flame.To me they seemed more like a large ball of light. It might have been some sort of earth lightbut I really don't know.Maybe the cops thought there was a fire or something and that was what they were trying to find. Really hard to say. As was mentioned you can check out the area in daylight if you recall what road it was.Or maybe you all could drive down the area at night and maybe if you see it again snap a photo with your phone.

By the way again I was driving with my dad one evening near Lavernia. We also saw a couple of Texas State Trooper cars one on each side of the road that crosses FM775. What they were doing have no idea. Think we checked the paper later,,,,,,,,,,,,but didn't see anything about any arrests in the area in the Express-News.So it might be they didn't consider it worth mentioning in a report.

Blue flames are generally associated with the burning of light hydrocarbons like methane and some alcohols. Methane is a product of organic decay and can collect in pockets underground. For it to burn requires sufficient concentration and an energetic ignition source. Naturally occurring discharges of static electricity could be enough to burn it off.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 2

hey what BURN what?\\

Blue flames are generally associated with the burning of light hydrocarbons like methane and some alcohols. Methane is a product of organic decay and can collect in pockets underground. For it to burn requires sufficient concentration and an energetic ignition source. Naturally occurring discharges of static electricity could be enough to burn it off.

ru talkin mini flame?

Edited by nisi

So, I went back to the spot where I saw the fire. There was no sign that it was ever there.

• 4 weeks later...

In the East of England there are large areas of flat land called the Fens. There is a natural phenomenon which has been mistaken as paranormal called 'Willow the Whisp'. It is where natural gas escapes from the gound and ignites. This looks just like a

blue spirit. In fact it is rather beautiful. However it has been the cause of many death. Generally it is near marsh, swamp ground or soft ground. People see it, are naturally curious and as they get closer are swallowed up. Like quick sand.

• Like 1