Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Virus Resurrected from Permafrost

Still Waters

A mysterious giant virus buried for 30,000 years in Siberian permafrost has been resurrected.

The virus only infects single-celled organisms and doesn't closely resemble any known pathogens that harm humans.

http://uk.news.yahoo...90.html#JQ3l4N3

• Like 2

A mysterious giant virus buried for 30,000 years in Siberian permafrost has been resurrected.

The virus only infects single-celled organisms and doesn't closely resemble any known pathogens that harm humans.

Yes, Just like the swine flu and bird flu.

• Like 2

maybe it will mutate and start the zombie apocalypse 0_0

• Like 5

We can fix that.
  • Like 4

Finally! Sounds so exciting...Imagine getting to watch these under a microscope :D

It always worries me when I hear about scientists doing "research" on viruses....there is also the odd scientist who can be bought by the power seekers.

We will never be immune to natures little devils, medicins help....until another virus comes.

• Like 5

The virus only infects single-celled organisms...

Each of the cells in our bodies is a single cell.

and doesn't closely resemble any known pathogens that harm humans.

Right, but it might resemble an unknown pathogen that harms humans. All of the known pathogens were unknown before they were discovered.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 6

It's good it is harmless to people, however if this one has survived 30,000 years by being frozen, it's possible something more dangerous can survive as well and how would we every know? The chance of finding a "normal sized" virus in an ice core would seem remote at best. Let's hope they don't revive smallpox or some virulent strain of influenza, remote as that chance might be.

It's good it is harmless to people, however if this one has survived 30,000 years by being frozen, it's possible something more dangerous can survive as well and how would we every know? The chance of finding a "normal sized" virus in an ice core would seem remote at best. Let's hope they don't revive smallpox or some virulent strain of influenza, remote as that chance might be.

techinically small pox is still alive. U.S has some frozen cells and so does Russia

• Like 3

Just be thankful this virus, or ones like it, didnt arrive on a meteorite that got lost in a jungle.. and begin living again...and multiplying.. :cry:

Anything which has been buried for 30,000 years and is able to be ressurected.........is a threat.

techinically small pox is still alive. U.S has some frozen cells and so does Russia

Understood, but it's been decades since vaccinations for smallpox were given and should it appear again, say from the permafrost, you would have a huge problem before sufficient vaccine could be produced, especially with the threat of spread from air travel. I'm not too keen on Russia and the U.S. keeping this virus either, even for "research" purposes. Technically I'm not even sure viruses are considered alive and they are not cells, more like bits of DNA or RNA with a shell.

Seems to me this virus has basic design and probably wouldn't be able to cope with our immune system but who knows

Oh great...the great crapstorm of our time begins...

panic2.gif

doom.gif

"Doesn't effect humans"...

But apparently it effects other things...that can effect other things...so on and so on...when does it mutate and start infecting anything and everything?

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

I hope 'they' don't upgrade it and then use it to relegate us.

:no:

Oh, pardon me, forgot to put my rose coloured glasses on.

Ahh, crap. They're broken!!!

• Like 1

I hope 'they' don't upgrade it and then use it to relegate us.

Like scientists do with other viruses..
  • Like 1

This virus in particular may not worry people, but the idea that a virus is still living 30,000 years later within permafrost is quite worrisome, and who knows what other viruses may dwell within. All it takes is global warming to release these viruses (some may even be dangerous to our species) and anyone with a brain knows global warming is a real situation.

Edited by Collateral Damage
  • Like 1

This virus in particular may not worry people, but the idea that a virus is still living 30,000 years later within permafrost is quite worrisome, and who knows what other viruses may dwell within. All it takes is global warming to release these viruses (some may even be dangerous to our species) and anyone with a brain knows global warming is a real situation.

lets hope they don't combine it with something else or some ****. if they do were ****ed. 30,000+ year old virus that no one on earth has immunity to+X Virus=GF Human Race.

I love how the author had to point out: "(A "non-zero" probability just means the chances of the event happening are not "impossible.") ... thank you soo much for clearing that up. Either he needed that explained to him and decided to share his new discovery, or assumes a very low IQ among his readers. oy

We live with undiscovered threats everyday. I'm personally much more concerned with viruses that are sitting frozen in military laboratories. Eventually something is going to go wrong. Murphy's law demands it. Look at all the care we humans have put into containing the hazardous potential of enriching heavy elements like uranium. No matter how careful we are there will eventually be a screw up somewhere and then all hell will break loose.

Too pessimistic?

Oh great...the great crapstorm of our time begins...

"Doesn't effect humans"...

But apparently it effects other things...that can effect other things...so on and so on...when does it mutate and start infecting anything and everything?

Without rereading the article I believe this was a mimivirus which, if memory serves, only attack amoeba. There are many viruses that are host specific so it's probably not a big deal and I doubt amoeba have changed all that much in 30,000 years and it's quite possible that this virus was already "alive" and well somewhere infecting them, just perhaps rare and undiscovered.

Yeah, no worries. This does not have fatal human pathogenic ability(that I know of)

Seasonal flu and similar is much more dangerous.

This is scary. Kinda reminds me of a book I read a few years ago, something about a virus that was hidden under the ice I think in Antarctica.

It's been locked away for 30000 years, maybe it was put there for a reason. Some things are supposed to stay hidden ...