Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scorpiosonic

Shackelton's Voyage Of Endurance

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From the link, "The final major expedition of the heroic era began when Ernest Shackleton left England in the ship Endurance on August 8, 1914. Shackleton's plan was to make the Weddell Sea-Ross Sea traverse that Filchner had envisioned but failed to accomplish. However, like Filchner, Shackleton became trapped in the Weddell Sea pack ice and drifted through the winter. Ultimately, the Endurance was crushed by the ice and sank on November 21, 1915. There followed the most incredible survival story in Antarctic history...." http://www.antarctic...ory/history.htm

One of the most incredible anyway, Part One VID was awesome. :tu: ...checking out Pt 2 now....several vids accessible here.

EL, thanks for Vids, etc.!! :tsu:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by scorpiosonic
2 people like this

I just saw a documentary on this not to long ago. Sadly I think it's often overlooked compared to other famous expeditions, like Lewis and Clark's.

Very brave crew.

1 person likes this

Yes, very brave, and very lucky. :yes: Several minor miracles along the way. :innocent:

They finally got back 17 months later!!! :cry:

1 person likes this

FYI: The 14 min vid is just an intro. I viewed pt 1, pt 2, and the conclusion of the story, worth watching B) , a bit overly dramatic in some sm bits. :whistle:

Features both still and moving pics taken during exp......they had to throw away and leave a few hundred 'glass plates' of pics taken to lighten load when finally abandoning the Endurance. :tu:

1 person likes this