Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs & "Ghosts" ?

Emin

Now i know this thread might have already been made before but i finally felt like making one of my own, so here it is.

I have a dog and she seems to bark out of the blue, at who knows what. Last week I heard the dog barking and I decided to finally go see what the fuss was all about and as I walk up my friend walks out of the room too. I asked what is she barking at. She said she doesn't know. I asked where was it barking? She said she didn't know and could not understand my question. Me and my quick temper fire back with what was it barking at in what direction??? Then she said the couch. The dog had then just walked up to the couch and sniffed it and just walked away. Weird i said. My friend said "Oh, probably it's a ghost." I said nahhh she's just imagining things.

Added Note: my dog is a scaredy cat when I brought out my new bike from my room she backed away barking at it :rolleyes: and whenever I bring in a branch from an outside plant she's afraid to get near it lol.

Okay trying to make this short so I don't delay. My dog has barked at the chimney doors at times when they rattled due to some breeze and another time at some little stuffed toy sitting on the shelf. I once had another dog that seemed to be frightened of plastic bags because of their weird way of being self animated lolll, anyhow I was recalling how people believe in the idea that dogs can sense things that we can't. I know some part of that is true, I however feel that "ghost senses" just possess no credible proof. I was thinking that dogs have just as much a vivid imagination as we do and that most of the time what dogs bark at is just nothing. And I was wondering what are your thoughts on this?

You have Dogs & Ghosts. Then you have Ghost Dog...

ghost-dog-the-way-of-the-samurai.jpg

Dogs have great hearing, Here is a story. My previous dog (died of old age now) would freak out at random times. Staring off space, barking her head off, even whimpering. Well one day i saw this boy running around with a dog whistle.

• Like 4

Dogs have great hearing, Here is a story. My previous dog (died of old age now) would freak out at random times. Staring off space, barking her head off, even whimpering. Well one day i saw this boy running around with a dog whistle.

Hope you beat his butt.

My dog barks at every little sound and if a cat looks at her weird. You just have a barker.

• Like 3

We had this cat a while back that would sit there and meow at this florescent light above the sink.

That cat is dead now.

He never told me what he was meowing at though.

I house-sat for my neighbour on numerous occasions. His dog (a West Highland Terrier that lived to the grand old age of 15+ years and was by all accounts a world-class rat-catcher of a dog),on a few occasions, went nuts and ran outside and barked liked a crazy thing at nothing. I had to physically drag it back inside on at least one occasions.

Dunno about that particular dog, but I tend to equate cats and dogs with random barkiness and general animal craziness as a result.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 4

Scent and hearing.......

I posted numerous information on this. Others all ready stated it.

They are hearing and smelling things we do not, and processing them.

• Like 2

One time I was over a friends house late at night.On a sudden his two tabby cats started acting spooked, and were on alert walking around low to the ground.Turns out there was a Bear wandering around outside.

• Like 1

Interesting, interesting.....all very interesting. :yes:

Dogs sent :

A dog interprets the world predominantly by smell, whereas a human interprets it by sight. As a human I cannot even imagine what that would be like to get most of my information from what I smell. This is why a blind or deaf dog can get along just fine if allowed to be a dog, given the proper leadership and exercise and their sensory whiskers are not cut off when they are groomed. While a dog's brain is only one-tenth the size of a human brain, the part that controls smell is 40 times larger than in humans. A dog’s sense of smell is about 1,000 to 10,000,000 times more sensitive than a human’s (depending on the breed). A human has about 5 million scent glands, compared to a dog, who has anywhere from 125 million to 300 million (depending on the breed). Ever wonder why your dog's nose is wet? The mucus on a dog's nose actually helps it smell by capturing scent particles. When a dog’s nose is dry they may lick it to aid them in scent.

When dogs smell something they are not just registering a smell, they get an entire story. They can smell pheromone, which is not only found in the urine and fecal, but on the skin and fur. From this they can tell a lot about another dog or human including if they are male or female, what they ate, where they have been, what they have touched, if they are ready to mate, if they have recently given birth, or had a false pregnancy, and what mood they are in. They have even been known to smell cancer on people, alerting them to it and saving their lives. This means when your dog smells another person, tree that another dog has peed on, pant leg that another dog has rubbed up against, or chair that someone has sat in, they are actually reading a story, not just smelling an interesting scent. While a human will smell something like spaghetti sauce as one smell, a dog smells each individual ingredient. Unlike humans, dogs can move their nostrils independently, allowing them to know what direction a smell is coming from.

A dog can both sniff and breathe. These are two different functions. Breathing is for air, but when they sniff with short breaths they actually save some scent that does not get exhaled. When a dog is overheated and actively panting, its sense of smell is reduced by as much as 40 percent as it uses the air to cool itself rather than for smelling.

Puppies have heat sensors in their noses to help find their mother during the time when their eyes and ears are closed. These sensors disappear by the time they are adults.

Dogs Eye Sight :

Since dogs do not have a spoken language, their thoughts are more like a sequence of images, much like a child before it learns to speak.

A common question among humans is, "Are dogs colorblind?" The answer is no, not exactly, meaning they do not only see in shades of only black and white. Studies have shown that dogs see in colors of various shades of blue and yellow. For example, a rainbow to a dog would be as follows: dark blue, light blue, light gray, light yellow, dark brownish yellow, and dark gray.

Purple and blue are both seen as shades of blue. Greenish-blue is viewed as a shade of gray. Red is seen as a black or dark gray. Orange, yellow and green all are seen to a dog as various shades of yellow. This means that, to a dog, bright orange toys are the same yellowish shade as the green grass. If you want your dog to clearly see his toys in the green grass you are better off giving the dog blue toys; if you have orange, yellow or green toys, the dog will be able to find them with his nose.

Dogs can see best at dusk and dawn. Their low-light vision is much better than a human’s, but their overall vision is not better. While a human’s vision is considered perfect at 20/20, a dog's vision is on average 20/75. Dogs cannot see as well at a distance as a human with normal eyes. Humans can also see things close up better than a dog can. On average, a human can see something clearly as close as 7 cm away, compared to a dog that sees things burry if they are closer than 33 cm away. Dogs can recognize objects better when they are moving and sometimes overlook the same object when it is still. Dogs see images on a TV screen, but most likely also see a rapidly flickering light, almost like a strobe light, in the picture; a human’s flicker resolution ability is about 55 Hz and a dog's is about 75 Hz.

Dogs hearing :

Puppies are born deaf and cannot hear until they are about 21 days old. Their eyes are also closed. During this time they rely solely on scent to interpret their world. By the time their sense of hearing is completely developed they can hear about 4 times the distance of a human who has normal hearing. Dogs can hear higher pitched sounds that humans cannot hear. They often bark at vacuums because they hear a very loud annoying pitch to their motors.

Dogs detect sounds in the frequency range of approximately 67 - 45,000 Hz (varies with different breeds), compared to humans with the approximate range of 64 - 23,000 Hz. As humans and dogs get older they both lose the ability to hear certain frequencies.

Dogs have 18 or more muscles in their ears allowing them to be mobile, whereas a human has only 6 and can only move their ears slightly, if at all. Dogs with perked ears can usually hear better than dogs with hanging ears, especially if they can move their ears in the direction of the sound.

Dogs sense of energy:

Animals can feel energy (in human words, emotions). It is a universal animal language. Have you ever been watching a group of wild animals out in the yard, perhaps a squirrel, rabbit and a deer all eating peacefully? Clearly these animals are not speaking words to one another asking if they all come in peace; somehow they all know that they are not going to harm one another. Or perhaps you know a dog that other dogs do not tend to like, or a cat that likes one dog but not another. Or perhaps you know of a person who dogs are prone to bark at. When I was a kid growing up I had a Lab mix who loved everyone. There was not a single person he didn't like, except for my uncle. When my uncle would come around he would bark at him. I later discovered that many dogs tended to bark at my uncle and as I got older I realized my uncle was a very tense, nervous person.

Another example was a time when my husband and I were driving down the road with our two dogs in a van that did not have any windows in the back. The dogs were sleeping on the van floor. Suddenly our Pit Bull stood up and started growling. I was in the passenger seat and didn’t see or hear anything. My husband, on the other hand, was amazed. He had just passed a cop and for a split second thought he may have been speeding and at the exact moment he felt a chill of fear run down his spine, his dog had popped up from his curled up sleep and growled, not at us but toward the walls of the moving van. The dog had felt his fear and was jumping up in protection mode.

Dogs interpret human emotions such as worry, anxiety, fear, anger, pity and nervousness, as weaknesses and they do not listen to these emotions. Dogs listen best to someone who is calm but firm in their approach. They use their sense of energy to determine who should be the leader of their pack. The being with the strongest and most stable energy is the one they look to, be it themselves or another being around them. While you can hide your emotions from another human, you cannot hide them from a dog.

• Like 2

This may help you more:

What Does It Mean When a Dog Stares at a Wall & Growls?

When your dog suddenly starts staring, growling and barking at the wall, it can startle you or it can downright scare you senseless. After all, you have to wonder what he is seeing that you can't. It can leave you wondering if your four-footed friend has developed a case of the crazies. Simply because he's growling at nothing isn't a cause for alarm.

Critters in the Wall

If you have critters in your walls, like mice, squirrels or other burrowing animals, your dog's sensitive ears will pick up their scratching even if you cannot hear a thing. Since dogs are territorial and hunters by nature, your dog will look at the unusual sound as threatening and this will result in him staring at the source of the sound and growling or barking. In most cases, the spot that he focuses on is where the critters are residing in between the walls.

Seeking Attention

Sometimes a dog will bark or growl just to get some attention because he knows that his owner will give it to him. Dogs don't always separate good attention from bad attention, so if you scold your dog for growling at the wall, he may just do it again in the near future in order to get you to pay more attention to him.

Senses an Outside Threat

Dogs can see and hear things beyond the scope of human perception, so it is not uncommon for a dog in the back room of a house to growl or bark when he "senses" someone, like the mailman, outside at the other end of the house. Although it may appear that your dog is growling at the wall, he may just in fact be growling in the direction he is sensing something out of the norm.

Breed Peculiarities

Certain breeds of dogs, like Jack Russell terriers and other small breeds, sometimes exhibit odd behaviors that can borderline on the compulsive. One such behavior is incessant growling at nothing in particular. Sometimes this behavior can include an obsession in which the dog licks one spot on the wall.

• Like 2

Wired thing I just got my dog and some times in the morning and night he would look in the kitchen and bark and growl a little bit.

He would not go in the kitchen just like in the door way from the den lol.

This may help you more:

What Does It Mean When a Dog Stares at a Wall & Growls?

When your dog suddenly starts staring, growling and barking at the wall, it can startle you or it can downright scare you senseless. After all, you have to wonder what he is seeing that you can't. It can leave you wondering if your four-footed friend has developed a case of the crazies. Simply because he's growling at nothing isn't a cause for alarm.

Critters in the Wall

If you have critters in your walls, like mice, squirrels or other burrowing animals, your dog's sensitive ears will pick up their scratching even if you cannot hear a thing. Since dogs are territorial and hunters by nature, your dog will look at the unusual sound as threatening and this will result in him staring at the source of the sound and growling or barking. In most cases, the spot that he focuses on is where the critters are residing in between the walls.

Seeking Attention

Sometimes a dog will bark or growl just to get some attention because he knows that his owner will give it to him. Dogs don't always separate good attention from bad attention, so if you scold your dog for growling at the wall, he may just do it again in the near future in order to get you to pay more attention to him.

Senses an Outside Threat

Dogs can see and hear things beyond the scope of human perception, so it is not uncommon for a dog in the back room of a house to growl or bark when he "senses" someone, like the mailman, outside at the other end of the house. Although it may appear that your dog is growling at the wall, he may just in fact be growling in the direction he is sensing something out of the norm.

Breed Peculiarities

Certain breeds of dogs, like Jack Russell terriers and other small breeds, sometimes exhibit odd behaviors that can borderline on the compulsive. One such behavior is incessant growling at nothing in particular. Sometimes this behavior can include an obsession in which the dog licks one spot on the wall.

Very good read, indeed. Thanks for the info. I learned something new today. :D

Ninety five per cent of the time it will be response to stimulus that we are not attuned to due to our weaker hearing and smell and distraction by machines and complex thought. My dog will see the shadow of a branch flicker on the carpet and whine/rustling of trees brushing together and go haywire because she links sudden noises to the postman and movement in that area of the house to the pesky squirrels and birds who come to get food. There are well documented experiences where animals seem to actually FOLLOW and somewhat respond to what is believed to be ghost activity. I'd assume they are in the form before humans can observe their manifestation, why animals can perceive this but not humans remains unclear and obtuse but I believe it's a real occurrence.

Edited by DancingCorpse

My Westie barks every morning, I hear nothing! , but same time, same porthole...and now I know.....at same man walking his dog on the bank on the other side of the marina.

My dog has excellent hearing, if he barks, it means something is out there....somewhere and guarantee its another animal.

• Like 1

They are domesticated yet still retain that downsized state of constant paranoia and curiosity they thrive on, couldn't tell the difference between a ghost and intruder even if they did see anything out of the black lagoon dancing in the living room, it still results in a growl all the same.