Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

£500 fine and a ban for driving in puddle

Commander CMG

• Samuel Lees, 22, was prosecuted after he was seen by a police officer creating a 'large wave' that left the children screaming when they got wet
  • He splashed Debbie Pugh, 48, and her children, David, eight, and Emma, 11
  • The mother said: 'I think they must have wanted to make an example of him but I think a slap on the wrist would have been sufficient'

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Its actually dangerous to drive through a large puddle.It takes your steering away.Think thats why they prosecuted him due to a fraffic offence.

• Like 1

Good, its not funny when that happens. To me its the same as if a stranger just comes up and throws a bucket of dirty water over you. Is dangerous and those who do this should be banned from driving, we do not need irresponsible drivers on the roads.

• Like 2

I remember when I was about 17... on my way out to meet the mates at the pub, dressed up in my White trousers, white slip on canvas shoes (no socks) and my yellow Tee shirt.. All very Miami Vice-ish...... The Don Johnson look.

Then it happened, a van hits the puddle and guess what.. I had to tredge back home to change.

My bad Miami Vice day!

• Like 3

I remember when I was about 17... on my way out to meet the mates at the pub, dressed up in my White trousers, white slip on canvas shoes (no socks) and my yellow Tee shirt.. All very Miami Vice-ish...... The Don Johnson look.

Then it happened, a van hits the puddle and guess what.. I had to tredge back home to change.

My bad Miami Vice day!

Rolled up jacket sleeves? Hands in pocket with the cool stance?

I bet you were the trend of the trend, you devil you.

• Like 3

In Japan it use to be illegal to splash pedestrians - even by accident, and it rains a lot there... When I was stationed there my then wife use to teach conversational English

to some neighborhood (Japanese) kids, and she would ride the city bus to the school... So she spent a lot of time standing at the bus stop... One day she was waiting and

a car came by, hit a puddle and totally drenched her.... The driver screeched to a stop jumped out and thrust a fist full of Yen in her hand saying over and over "Gomenasai!" (Sorry)...

He handed her close to $50 worth of Yen so she wouldn't report him...

She told me this much later that day after she got home, I asked her why she didn't come home and change, and she said "Are you kidding? I stood there for another hour waiting to get splashed again!" :unsure:

The GI's called that practice of "bribes" "Gomen Yen" ...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If we all drove about trying to dodge puddles then I'm sure the police would charge us with dangerous driving lol especially here in Scotland where it rains constantly lol!

P.S £500 for splashing someone when driving through a puddle is a bit harsh lol

Amount of rain we have had lately it is very difficult to drive without going through a puddle. The amount of times I have been splashed as a pedestrian is to many to count. As a driver I can appreciate that you cannot always avoid it without pulling a dangerous maneuver.

Some of these magistrates really live on another planet.

• Like 1

This isn't about making "dangerous maneuvers" attempting to avoid the puddle splashes, that's just insane.

It's about doing something everyone should be doing anyway; slowing down in the rain.

• Like 2