Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA WISE survey finds no planet X

bison

The NASA WISE survey data has been scrutinized for evidence of an unknown large planet, or small companion star inconspicuously lurking in the outer reaches of our solar system. Nothing of the sort was found.

The theory that such a star or planet played a role in ancient natural disasters, by perturbing the orbits of Oort cloud objects, sending them crashing into our planet had already been largely discounted. The survey did find thousands of new stars and substellar objects within 500 light years of Earth.

http://www.nasa.gov/...7/#.UxsOLRweQrg

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

That will not stop the self annointed doomsday prophets.

• Like 1

It's obviously a cover up!!

• Like 3

It appears that the researchers were being very thorough in testing an already dubious hypothesis. An always-very-distant Jovian planet, which is one of the sorts of objects they were looking for, isn't quite the same thing as the supposed Nibiru. It stands to reason, though, that it, too, would have been detected in a survey of this sort, had it existed.

Those poor, misunderstood Anunnaki. I weep for them.

1391969946805.gif

• Like 2

its obviously because the planet is hiding behind the sun,i saw that on youtube, so it must be real :whistle:

The article makes a common mistake which is thinking that the names planet X, Tyche, and Nemesis refer to the same object. They do not. Each refers to a different search for an object with different properties. These are different theories and each has been shown to be incorrect for different reasons. Planet X was shown not ot exist after it was learned that Neptune's mass was 0.5% off when Voyager 2 flew by the planet. Nemesis was shown to be wrong when it was learned that the periodic extinction rate was not correct. Tyche was proven to not exist by examining the WISE data.

What is interesting is that the WISE data pushes back the possible position of a new planet many order of magnitude more than what the Project PAN-Starrs could resolve.

This recent study, which involved an examination of WISE data covering the entire sky in infrared light, found no object the size of Saturn or larger exists out to a distance of 10,000 astronomical units (au), and no object larger than Jupiter exists out to 26,000 au.

A light year is about 63,000 AU. These are substantial fractions of a light year.

Why oh why does UM keep bursting the bubble? I am going to stick to YouTube for my 'facts' in the future... ;)

• Like 2

The looney fringe will call foul and claim cover up,tis only a matter of Time.

• Like 1

Whenever I heard anyone talk about Planet X, all I could think about was:

C69BEC91A0.jpg

• Like 1

What ? you mean that the planet of the crossing is not on it's way to get us? Damn, I was looking forward to inviting Anunnaki over for Barbeque, I am really crushed.

Huh. It would have been a tantalizing discovery. Oh well...

It's really there, just the Anunnaki don't want us to see them.

Assuming you're serious, what is your evidence for this?