Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The death ship of the south seas

UM-Bot

Ritoban Mukherjee: While unfathomable tales of ghostly ships and recondite accidents at sea have always clung to traditional folklore, the case of the S.S. Ourang Medan remains one of the most ominous and unsettling. It began with the tracing of a morbid distress call and ended with the discovery of a foreboding vessel littered with human cadavers, which soon burst into flames. A ship from the Netherlands? Or one from the Netherworld?

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin_Shadowes

• spud the mackem

• Astra.

• Jilliman

Carbon monoxide poisoning followed by a gas explosion. The rescue party was not there long enough to have been affected. Still creepy though.

I remember going up the English Channel to Rotterdam one summers evening,when we had to change course quickly as there was a ship heading straight for us, it was Panamanian registered,but looking through the binoculars,we found no one on the Bridge and no one on deck. Other vessels reported this as it was in the wrong sea lane, going against the traffic.

What a mind boggling article. The sea holds many secrets and mysteries .

The ship does not show up on any register or charter, good chance the entire story is bogus. If it is true, one missionary claims to have spoken to a survivor that died soon after, and from that information, it seems that the cause for all the deaths was dangerous cargo, perhaps even nitroglycerin which would cause the explosion on contact with seawater.

• 1 month later...

I never heard of this, thanks for the article, I will look further into it tomorrow. Mary Celeste has always been my favorite mystery, but this one is just as intriguing..