Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animals can see UV flashes from power lines

UM-Bot

Scientists believe that animals are being frightened away from areas around high voltage power cables.

An international study in to the ultra-violet sensitivity of different animal species has revealed that many could be staying away from areas around power lines because they are being scared off by flashes that occur when charge builds up in the cables and is released in to the air.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/263696/animals-can-see-uv-flashes-from-power-lines

My sister has the Bloemfontein power line running through her farm, we have photos from the late 80's of herds of Gemsbok, and Kudu right through the Nibin valley! After the erecting of the power lines the animals disappeared, people put it down to the construction scaring them off, but this sheds new light on a possible reason

• Like 1

Two comments.

One, this would seem to be a good thing. Keeping animals away from the power lines.

Two, large animals like deer don't have any reason to look up. Animals look for predators on the level where they come from. No air predators for deer. Seeing eye dogs have to be trained to look up so they don't lead their master into tailgates or other such things.

Two comments.

One, this would seem to be a good thing. Keeping animals away from the power lines.

Two, large animals like deer don't have any reason to look up. Animals look for predators on the level where they come from. No air predators for deer. Seeing eye dogs have to be trained to look up so they don't lead their master into tailgates or other such things.

They would only be required to look up if they were directly under them!

Even being 100 yards or so either side would be enough for the power lines to come into the natural line of sight

• Like 2

I have killed many white tailed deer on power line openings. Doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Mike

I have killed many white tailed deer on power line openings. Doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Mike

But they aren't an open plains migrating animal, either. Each type of deer have their own set of needs.

• Like 1

Sometimes you can hear the electrical wires "singing" as well. That would keep me far from the area if I was an animal as they have much better hearing than we do.

• Like 1

Yes if we hear them imagine what it must sound like to an animal.

• Like 1

There is a large UV display at both ends of the planet, the arouse.

There is a large UV display at both ends of the planet, the arouse.

I am also aroused by the auroras.....

user_25134_KFSNWKQ9.gifuser_25134_KFSNWKQ9.gif:mellow:

• Like 1

But they aren't an open plains migrating animal, either. Each type of deer have their own set of needs.

All deer migrate some a few miles others thousands of miles. The reindeer have to put up with mother natures UV flashes. If it keeps them away from something dangeress this would be a good thing. Birds perch on the lines all the time. Here in Waco in the winter the power lines are covered with wintering birds.

• 3 weeks later...

Two comments.

Deer like Whitetail range over a huge area and they do have the occasional aerial predator like the Golden Eagle, and Cougar and Jaguar might ambush them from trees as well.