Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

College anti-racism meeting backfires

Eldorado

"Olympia, Wash. -- An attempt to fight racism at a community college may have backfired.

A group of employees at South Puget Sound Community College sent out an invitation to all 300 staffers. The "Staff, Faculty and Administrators of Color" encouraged employees to reply to the invitation to find out the confidential date and time of what was being called a "happy hour" to "build support and community" for people of color.

The invite made it clear white people were not invited."

Full article: http://www.king5.com...-249652471.html

Ignorance is all-inclusive.

Edit: Title of thread edited by anonymous person.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

You only require one side in order to discuss the fixes needed, right? (Sarcasm)

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

it was not attempt to fix anything, it was a chance to throw "no withes" party.

She said it could have been worded differently, but she maintains the staff members of color would have a more honest discussion about race without white employees. - sure they can lie and make up any story they want with no one calling them out.

Edited by aztek

When can we see those involved fired, on the morning shows or in the news being raked over the coals? Bet you won't see any suing or protests either.

• Like 4

"If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community, please feel free to do just that."

Am I the only one that gets burned up by this quote? The only word she left out was "your" racism.

I can't wait for it to be explained to me how this was taken out of context. And she works in the diversity office that is supposed to report any signs of discrimination.

• Like 1

I kind of get the feeling the idea would've been "have minority meeting"

"have white people meeting"

"bring groups together in one meeting and discuss issues that had been raised"

I may be giving her too much credit, I dunno the woman.

I think her hearts probably in the right place, wanting to have a safe place, im sure it WOULD be easier to talk about race issues as a minority w/o white people around. But, just because its easier I don't know that its the right way to deal with it. I think being totally open about this is the best way to do it.

Given that, however, the idea about separate groups, then coming together to talk about issues raised, would probably keep the situation at a less tense vibe.

tricky situation. I seriously dont feel like she was being intentionally racist herself though.

The only real way to fight racism is to just ignore anything that mentions it. I don't think prejudices can ever be removed from human society though.

• Like 3

There are those who believe that only white people can be racist, which is patent nonsense. ANY person of any race can show racism to one not of their own. The Hispanic organization La Raza, for instance means "The Race" in this case the Hispanic "race" which they promote. Al Sharpton, is a rather well know black race-bater who's antics have led to rioting and worse, just Google: Freddy's Fashion Mart, where eight people died.

It's very PC to blame the white man, and I say man because white males usually take the brunt of being called out for racism, but it's not logical, because all people can love or hate those of other races, ethnicities, religions, etcetera. I find it very telling (and illogical) that a college meeting to discuss anti-racism should single out those of one race NOT to engage in the discussion.

• Like 3

"If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community, please feel free to do just that."

Am I the only one that gets burned up by this quote? The only word she left out was "your" racism.

Yup, when whites do this, actually whites would never do this, but for the sake of argument let's say whites did this, then it's white supremacy. When non-whites do this, it's "cultural enrichment".

• Like 3