Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
The Puzzler

Celts and Gauls means 'yellow heads'....

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As I was doing my Finnish and Sami language studies, I became interested in the word 'hel' , this word has a life of its own but noticing that in Hebrew Helel means bright, shining, my instinctual feeling that a relationship is possible between the two, I investigated some more.

Sami language has the g/gh sound for k, like Semitic, where the Finnish language uses k/c like many euro words do.

A good one is the number 6 in Sami is ghutti but is kutti in Finnish. Ghutti, lol, I won't even start on that one but I'm heading to the Goths and Guti next for it.

My main premise here is that I'm going to claim that many PIE words actually derive from a Finno-Ugric root, simply because that language appears very old in the areas it is and PIE is a later language so it seems natural that IE speakers actually used words from earlier speakers, it's not uncommon in history to change your language, Greeks did it. I can even find the earliest Linear B form of Mycenae in Finnish, mukana.

So, the Germanic word hel as bright comes from proto Germanic ghul, but apparently harks back to PIE kel, to hide, conceal. Hole, hill, think of kurgans, hills that hide, conceal things, usually round, sometimes hollow, holy even..

At first this seemed a good root word for Celts. The hiders, people who conceal, but it didn't seem to fit as a tribal name.

Bright hel may actually come from a different root.

It's also in Hebrew remember as hel in Helel, a name for Lucifer as he fell, like Phaethon did, whose name also means shining, bright, you can also find the phae root in Hephaestus, who was also cast from Heaven (by Hera) more like fire there than hel, but the same context.

These words spread out with a clear g sound, such as glow, gel, glass and with a y as yellow. Yellow is so named because it's bright, look carefully and you can see gold pop out at you, it means bright, golden, like the Sun, Helios.

It was reported the Aesti/Estonians used the word glisis for amber, like glass and spoke a language like those of Britain, how interesting for this reference to a Finnic people, historians brush the comment off with he obviously was mistaken...

Heli is circular into Latin, think of a halo, a bright, golden circle, this encompasses this word. Wheel, jol,Yule, cello, cell every word with these variations comes from this same root of apparent PIE kel.

Finnish hella means a stove, hot and bright, a bit like the Christian hell, not the Nordic hel, which relates more to the IE version of underground.

Finnish yellow is Keltainen, they use k.

Seems to me then that this might be a name of the Celts, yellow heads, maybe like Sumerian black heads.

With a G sound you get back to the gel, gol sound, which seems quite likely this word could be the exact same word as yellow with the gh sound. Gauls.

If anything the Gauls and Celts are consistently described as having yellow hair.

Edited by The Puzzler

Posted (edited)

Now I'll make mention of a similarity in Basque and Finnish a word: kuole

Then I'll remind everyone that Berbers and Sami share the same mitochondrial genes from 7000bc.

I know Berbers aren't basque but they represent a middle ground between the two.

I can recognise forms of this word, kuole and hal would be one.

Kuole in IE would be Hal.

Now, kuole means die, in Basque hil means die. These words are basically the same.

Anyone who thinks this is Lego linguistics can check that and get back to me if they like...

Ill mention Valhalla here, the hall for the great slain warriors, the dead.

Hal/hil means die. Kel in PIE means to cover, hide - think kurgans again or in England great barrows.

How interesting that the kurgans, burials are places to die.

Ilargi in basque means the month. The moon dies, these are ancient concepts, a new moon, when it's dead, you can't see it indicates it's name, the new moon is an important phenomenon in many cultures. It indicates a month. It also probably equates to the death of pan and Achilles. Ak hil les name in basque simply means the goat is dead, like pan is dead. A pan is a whole, the full moon, a frying pan, a round object, like a full moon.

Goat is ak in basque, but goats, rams, moons and death is all very closely related within this.

Ilargi translates to 'kill the light" with argi being a word well known as light, Canopus is one of the brightest stars in the sky, he was also the pilot of the Argo, the Argo is replete with sources to light. Ark is another form of this word, the ark. It's no coincidence you see the light, when you find god or death.

The Golden Fleece itself, of Colchis, a realm of Helios was probably the sun itself, guarded by a dragon, as usual.

Helle fell off this golden ram and created the name for the Hellespont, the name of a similar landform at the mouth of the Vistula, into the Baltic from Poland, in ancient times is also helle, you can check old maps for this, I'd show you but I'm on an iPad and don't know how to copy paste on it lol.

Edited by The Puzzler