Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists discover Big Bang's 'smoking gun'

UM-Bot

The extraordinary find is being hailed as one of the most groundbreaking discoveries in cosmology.

One of the fundamental concepts behind the Big Bang theory is that an infinitesimal fraction of a second after the universe came in to being there was a period of super-rapid expansion known as "inflation". The new discovery, made by an American research team using a special telescope located at the South Pole, is of the space-time ripples left behind by this expansion during the earliest moments of the cosmos.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ngs-smoking-gun

• Like 1

Hopefully they'll elaborate on what these gravity/space-time ripples are that they can be seen with a telescope and how it supports the big bang theory.

Hopefully they'll elaborate on what these gravity/space-time ripples are that they can be seen with a telescope and how it supports the big bang theory.

They have. Have a look at this tread and look at some of the more recent links posted there.

• Like 1

Wondering if life elements can "ride" these particle waves.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Maybe you should discover these "life elements" first?

Trying figuring out how things work, then ask such questions.

The article, linked below, discusses the scientific implications of the new discovery, and prospects for future research based on it. This new discovery appears to be a watershed moment for astrophysics, and physics in general.

Solid evidence for quantum gravity, new prospects for gravitational wave astronomy, possible clues to the unification of the three forces, exclusive of gravity in a grand unified theory, or even a theory of everything, including gravity.

http://www.gizmag.co...thsonian/31245/

Edited by bison

Not to throw water on the party but the last sentence of the article: "If this is confirmed, it's hugh."

Anyway, wasn't the Cosmic Background Radiation discovery also the "smoking gun" of proof for the BBT?

Not that I have a problem with this news, I am just curious how many times they have to prove the BBT before it's truly considered proven?

• Like 1

Not to throw water on the party but the last sentence of the article: "If this is confirmed, it's hugh."

Anyway, wasn't the Cosmic Background Radiation discovery also the "smoking gun" of proof for the BBT?

Not that I have a problem with this news, I am just curious how many times they have to prove the BBT before it's truly considered proven?

So they should stop all research? We know gravity, atoms, sub-atomic particles exist, we can't possibly again any new information.

1)THE EXPANSION OF THE UNIVERSE :

#And it is We Who have constructed the Universe with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it. (Qur'an, 51:47)#

2)Singularity, creation of the universe

''Do not the Unbelievers see that the Universe and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?(Qur'an, 21:30)

3)Future of an expanding universe AND THE BIG CRUNCH:

''That Day We will fold up Universe like folding up the pages of a book. As We originated the first creation so We will regenerate it. It is a promise binding on Us. That is what We will do. (Qur'an, 21:104)

1)THE EXPANSION OF THE UNIVERSE :

#And it is We Who have constructed the Universe with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it. (Qur'an, 51:47)#

2)Singularity, creation of the universe

''Do not the Unbelievers see that the Universe and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?(Qur'an, 21:30)

3)Future of an expanding universe AND THE BIG CRUNCH:

''That Day We will fold up Universe like folding up the pages of a book. As We originated the first creation so We will regenerate it. It is a promise binding on Us. That is what We will do. (Qur'an, 21:104)

You can parrot the Quran and post verses that have little to do with the topic. You're a clever one. Edited by Rlyeh

So they should stop all research? We know gravity, atoms, sub-atomic particles exist, we can't possibly again any new information.

I didn't say that. I asked two questions

wasn't the Cosmic Background Radiation discovery also the "smoking gun" of proof for the BBT?

Both questions have to do with why they are wrapping this discovery up in a shiny new bow and rolling it out as if this is the clincher, this is what they needed to prove thier theories correct.

They already had that with the discovery of CBR so why not roll this out as supplemental proof which works in conjunction with the CBR rather than pretend this is what they needed all along.

The answer is, they don't believe we are bright enough to remember the CBR News so it's a opportunity for all new flag waving and trumpet tooting in the name of science.

Hopefully it won't ever be considered "proven", because science is supposed to be based on falsification, not "proof". Proof is for math. Science seeks truth by defining what is false.

I didn't say that. I asked two questions

Two questions that demonstrates your misconception of research and discovery. Proofs are final, scientific research is not.
Both questions have to do with why they are wrapping this discovery up in a shiny new bow and rolling it out as if this is the clincher, this is what they needed to prove thier theories correct.
It is a new discovery.

Scientific theories are required to support the evidence, your "prove their theories" is a redundant statement.

They already had that with the discovery of CBR so why not roll this out as supplemental proof which works in conjunction with the CBR rather than pretend this is what they needed all along.

The answer is, they don't believe we are bright enough to remember the CBR News so it's a opportunity for all new flag waving and trumpet tooting in the name of science.

You can only speak for yourself about not being bright enough. Edited by Rlyeh

Hopefully it won't ever be considered "proven", because science is supposed to be based on falsification, not "proof". Proof is for math. Science seeks truth by defining what is false.

You mean, it isn't about science being correct, it is about religion being incorrect?

Most amazing thing is how every few planets has its own star/sun

Most amazing thing is how every few planets has its own star/sun

Sure you haven't got that backward?
  • Like 1

What strikes me in this discovery is that it is finally shown that gravity is quantized, if my understanding is correct. Perhaps this can lead to a theory of quantum gravity, which would be a big help in combining gravity with quantum mechanics.

What strikes me in this discovery is that it is finally shown that gravity is quantized, if my understanding is correct. Perhaps this can lead to a theory of quantum gravity, which would be a big help in combining gravity with quantum mechanics.

I don't think this discovery shows that gravity is quantized.

Proving that would be an incredibly huge discovery, because there still is considerable debate on whether or not gravity "should" be quantized.

The present discovery provides powerful evidence in favour of the inflationary model of the big bang, and the existence of gravitational waves. Both of these theories have been accepted as true for decades.

I think this discovery parallels the recent observation of the Higgs boson in many ways - both discoveries help validate theories that most physicists believed to be true.

Quantized gravity is far from a widely accepted theory - and it isn't even a fully complete theory yet. The theories describing gravitational waves or the Higgs boson were sufficiently complete that everyone knew what gravitational waves and the Higgs boson "should" look like, and consequently once we had sufficiently precise measurement techniques and collected sufficient data it was relatively straightforward to determine if we had seen these objects or not.

Nobody is exactly sure what quantized gravity "should" look like. There are a lot of different ideas, but no consensus. Hence it is possible we have already "discovered' quantized gravity, we just don't realize it yet.

The BICEP2 data would eliminate about 90% of inflationary models, Andrei Linde, a cosmologist at Stanford University in California, told a packed auditorium at MIT the day after the BICEP2 announcement (see picture below). Many of those models do not produce gravitational waves at detectable levels, said Linde, who is one of the founders of inflation theory.

But he said that the findings would agree remarkably well with ‘chaotic inflation’, a simple version of inflation Linde developed 30 years ago. In Linde's model, inflation never completely ends, stopping only in limited pockets of space, while continuing with its exponential expansion elsewhere. Chaotic inflation would produce not just our Universe but a multiverse containing many pocket universes, each with its own laws of physics, an idea that critics say would be untestable.

Linde also says that gravitational waves would seem to rule out an alternative model to inflation known as the cyclic Universe, in which two ‘brane worlds’ — three-dimensional universes floating inside a higher-dimensional space — collide to produce the Big Bang. That theory does not produce gravitational radiation.

http://www.nature.com/news/gravitational-wave-finding-causes-spring-cleaning-in-physics-1.14910

Well it is known that the universe was created by Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry, so it all makes sense :yes:

In the video, linked below, Andrei Linde of Stanford University, one of the 'founding fathers' of cosmic inflation theory is told about the new discovery. He soon remarks that the signs of gravity waves just detected are: 'purely quantum gravity feature of what was produced in the big bang'.