Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists resurrect 1,500-year-old moss

UM-Bot

Despite being frozen in ice for over a millennium, the ancient moss started to grow after being thawed.

Scientists at the British Antarctic Survey collected samples of the moss from the depths of the Antarctic permafrost and placed them in to an incubator at a temperature similar to that of the conditions experienced by live specimens in the summer.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/263946/scientists-resurrect-1500-year-old-moss

As polar caps melt its going to be interesting as to what else is revealed!

Ancient wonders, or viruses trapped in time for thousands of years.

The glory of ice being, what ever is in there is going to be well preserved

Edited by 6.6.6
  • Like 1

How wonderful! I hope there are ancient flowers as well, or tree seeds. It would be amazing to watch something that old spring from the ground and grow.

• Like 1

It speaks to the tenacity of life. We used to believe that life was so fragile and could only exist within certain parameters. Our understanding has come a long way in the last few decades. I just hope we don't wake up something that humans have lost immunity to.

• Like 1

How wonderful! I hope there are ancient flowers as well, or tree seeds. It would be amazing to watch something that old spring from the ground and grow.

That would be neat, but I think I remember the only two higher vascular plants in Antarctica are one species of grass and one composite (daisy family), so trees at least would be highly unlikely.

Image finding an animal that put itself in suspend animation, an animal we never seen before that is billions of years old. It would be amazing find and it would help scientists in evolution department. It would probably be one of the fewest fossil animals to be alive, with remarkable attributes that could be studied and applied to today's science. I am hoping for an animal with attributes we never have seen so far...

Awww,,,but it would be wonderful if there were tree seeds. Maybe carried to the area by ancient birds.

This reminds me of a certain episode from the 4th Dr. Who.....

Awww,,,but it would be wonderful if there were tree seeds. Maybe carried to the area by ancient birds.

Ya, especially if they would sprout! stories like this always make me wonder about the nature of LIFE ... how can life be maintained within stuff like this?! Orrr ... does life somehow Re enter !? I doubt that i guess.. but it dumfounds me how life could still be in that moss .

Edited by lightly