Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street Lamps?

Just came across these and thought that it belonged here....

The first picture is another example of somebody that finds something in a picture that vaguely evokes a UFO when nobody actually reported seeing a UFO when taking the photograph.

I remain of the opinion that if someone were to be getting ready to take a picture and an actual unknown airborne object were to show up in the sky in front of him, it would catch his attention. If nobody saw anything unusual when the picture was taken, it's most likely because there was nothing unusual there in the first place. Again the most likely explanations are birds, bugs, kites or dust on the negative.

The second picture is most probably yet another one of those hanging street lamps. I have seen so many street lamp pictures misrepresented as UFOs that I've lost count ! :rolleyes:

A Texas witness in rural Hunt County reported an "unexplainable object visible in the background" of a family photo taken near Quinlan that cannot be identified, according to testimony in Case 52992 closed March 26, 2014, as an Unknown Aerial Vehicle from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.

The family photo was taken in April 1957. The case was submitted to MUFON December 27, 2013, and was investigated by Texas Field Investigator Thomas Diamond.

"Look over my right shoulder just above the propane tank and to the right of the telephone pole," the witness stated. "I've enlarged it on my computer and it looks like a cigar with flames coming out the back. I'd never noticed it until I enlarged the photo."
62f73b8db13c27aff9a805cbf29a7dda.jpg

I have to say, that little girls looks just like Templetons daughter - is she an alien or something!!

solway-firth-spaceman.jpg

• Like 4

I have to say, that little girls looks just like Templetons daughter - is she an alien or something!!

I cannot believe you just posted that, I was a mere 30 seconds away from doing so myself......WOW... The likeness was spooky enough but the timing of your post is spookier :)

edit to add: some smarty pants will point out that it was quite a common hair cut back in the day.... :alien:

Edited by quillius
  • Like 2

I cannot believe you just posted that, I was a mere 30 seconds away from doing so myself......WOW... The likeness was spooky enough but the timing of your post is spookier :)

Great minds and all that my friend

Great to see you back posting mate :D

Great minds and all that my friend

Great to see you back posting mate :D

so I should ignore the timing aspect and put it down to a mere coincience then :P

thanks mate, so under it at the moment I must be crazy spending even a few minutes here....maybe its my drug of escapism lol

• Like 1

By the way, there are two very amusing threads on ATS concerning a 2011 clip from Norway where some people claimed there was a UFO in the sky during a tragic incident. It was evidently a hanging street lamp. But there were some people in the thread who flatly refused to accept it. Not sure if I'm allowed to put links to other forums so if you're curious, just check out the "Oslo Explosion UFO" and the "UFO in Oslo Attacks?" threads on ATS. Very entertaining !

There is also a page about it on the "Latest UFO sightings" website:

http://www.latest-uf...plosion-in.html

Again, very entertaining to read the comments of the believers and the more rational people trying to bring them down to Earth" !

• Like 1

Looks like she is holding some kind of alien creature too !

• Like 1

Looks like she is holding some kind of alien creature too !

My favourite type of Alien :D I have 2 aliens from the same system living with me.

This is interesting. The one UFO I saw back in 01, gave me a light show in a way. Swirling around the sky, making a loud engine noise, impressing with it's ability to disappear into thin air, reappear and then finally stop on top of a town nearby and start flashing as a stationary satellite or lamp might. I figured it was attempting to disguise itself as a satellite...no idea why they would hang there during the daytime, so clearly out of place.

By the way, there are two very amusing threads on ATS concerning a 2011 clip from Norway where some people claimed there was a UFO in the sky during a tragic incident. It was evidently a hanging street lamp. But there were some people in the thread who flatly refused to accept it. Not sure if I'm allowed to put links to other forums so if you're curious, just check out the "Oslo Explosion UFO" and the "UFO in Oslo Attacks?" threads on ATS. Very entertaining !

There is also a page about it on the "Latest UFO sightings" website:

http://www.latest-uf...plosion-in.html

Again, very entertaining to read the comments of the believers and the more rational people trying to bring them down to Earth" !

Thanks ufoscan, I hadn't seen that before, and it was pretty entertaining! :tu:

This from your links should be enough for most folk to put it to bed...

http://telly.com/RQNBF

Cheers.

This is interesting. The one UFO I saw back in 01, gave me a light show in a way. Swirling around the sky, making a loud engine noise, impressing with it's ability to disappear into thin air, reappear and then finally stop on top of a town nearby and start flashing as a stationary satellite or lamp might. I figured it was attempting to disguise itself as a satellite...no idea why they would hang there during the daytime, so clearly out of place.

Interesting Donnie...can you provide any more info please? :mellow:

Cheers.

This is interesting. The one UFO I saw back in 01, gave me a light show in a way. Swirling around the sky, making a loud engine noise, impressing with it's ability to disappear into thin air, reappear and then finally stop on top of a town nearby and start flashing as a stationary satellite or lamp might.

.. or a helicopter?

• Like 1

On that first photo, with the Marine (I think) in the foreground: look just beyond his elbows and there's a long, thin shadow on the ground right where the shadow of a streetlamp-supporting pole might be. There don't seem to be any other such shadows.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

well you can I suppose as long as you dont subscribe to there being a real phenomenon and want to treat it all as misidentification, but hey if thats the conclusion you draw from sightings thats fine. I am quite sure that this isnt the case and there is a phenomenon (at least one) that we have yet to understand.

To deny that there are misidentification is a dangerous line of thought. It allows the introduction of issues that make finding any real phenomenon difficult.

The fact of the matter is you cannot draw any conclusions from those photos. They are curiosities at best.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting Donnie...can you provide any more info please? :mellow:

Cheers.

Well there's not much more to tell really. I was staring up at the sky from the back of my dad's truck. My cousin was there with me. He had dozed off while looking at the stars, which were as far as the eye could see. No clouds that night. We were driving down a lone road headed back home from Uvalde, TX. As I continued to stare at the sky, the aircraft suddenly appeared and was gone in a second. It was white, leaving a blue short exhaust tail behind it. It literally appeared and vanished right in front of me. The crazy thing is, you'd think it was a star or some kind of weather phenomena, but it definitely had an engine from the sounds of it. I was excited and i awoke my cousin, whom I thought was awake too and quickly explained to him what I'd seen. Like a typical UM -mer might react, he didn't buy it for a second. I was upset, "Why would I lie?!" So I kept looking in the direction I first saw it, while he looked the other way. And then again, it reappeared out of thin air. My cousin saw it first this time, asking me, "Is that what you saw?" I nodded as we both watched in disbelief, it gave us an incredible light show. It looked like an orb, round and it didn't have visible windows or anything like that. It hovered around for a good 5 minutes until it rushed to the top of the town behind us and started blinking/flashing as a satellite. Very strange, but amazing nonetheless.

.. or a helicopter?

Helicopters can vanish and reappear at the drop of hat? If so...then I suppose it could've been. :w00t:

Edited by Donnie Darko
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

And i'll also paste this image which is one of the world's most famous 'undebunked' UFO photograph's of all time...

mcminnivilleufo.jpg

...of course, it's the 1950 Paul Trent 'Mcminnville UFO'...and I posted it simply because I think that there is a certain similarity in general shape to all of them...or am I seeing things??
:lol:

I just stumbled on an article claiming to debunk this image, its a bit of a read and has many images, but I will just post the last few paragraphs:

Special Report: The Trent UFO Photos - the "Best" of All Time - Finally Busted?

Walter suggests that the object in question is an appliance motor shroud, approximately eight inches in diameter. "I think Trent walked to the garage one evening, tied a string to an appliance motor shroud via an old bolt, tossed the shroud over a wire and tied the other end of the string to an anchor near the ground, then took the two pictures. Logical, practical, and so much less effort for him than other theories. People just do what they do and Trent wasn't going to go to too much effort just to fool his banker buddy."

But wait - there's more! In the words of UFO researcher Martin Shough on UFO Updates, "I am hearing rumours that certain researchers, one of whom is no stranger to this List, are on the brink of publishing an analysis which they believe is proof of a hoax. I have it on the authority of a third party - a 'usually reliable source' - that cunning digital enhancement has revealed the presence of a string or wire support."

I have been in contact with this Mystery Researcher, who has not authorized me or anyone else to reveal his findings. He was planning to write a book exposing three major UFO photo cases as hoaxes, one of course being Trent. However, he says this plan has been abandoned, and he is uncommunicative about the details of his work. I do not have proof of what he says about the string. However from the seriousness with which he has undertaken other investigations, I am inclined to believe that he has indeed found it.

Do these new findings finally debunk the Trent photos? They would, provided they can be independently confirmed by other researchers, using other high-resolution scans from first-generation prints, or else the original negatives. Until then, people will continue to argue about such matters as the gauge of the wires, and whether the model, if it were a model, would have to be five or six inches in diameter.

LINK

Trent1b.jpgmir7lgcu.jpg

Image on right is a truck mirror

Edited by seeder

I just stumbled on an article claiming to debunk this image, its a bit of a read and has many images, but I will just post the last few paragraphs:

Trent1b.jpgmir7lgcu.jpg

Image on right is a truck mirror

Hi Seeder, i'm sure you know that this is one of those old cases that will run on and on forever, with both sides of the debate making sensational claims and counter-claims!

The fact is that these extraordinary photographs have stood the test of time. They have been analysed and studied to death for the past 64 years....and no one has ever been able to prove that the object was in fact dangling from any type of line [whether directly from the prominent electric/telephone wires...or indeed the fishing pole and line method] ...so please excuse my deep scepticism of the out-dated article from the 'Bad UFO's' site , which I consider to be a as near exact polar opposite site to that awful T.V programme...'Ancient Aliens'...and that the author of the article 'Robert Sheaffer'.. is no more than the antithesis of the resident AA clown 'Giorgio Tsoukalos'. [Nothing will be proved or disproved by heeding either book-selling shonky!]

For instance....in Sheaffer's article he quotes a paragraph that suites his position from Martin Shough's post from one of his old posts from a few years ago in Ufoupdateslist ..

I am hearing rumours that certain researchers, one of whom is no stranger to this List, are on the brink of publishing an analysis which they believe is proof of a hoax. I have it on the authority of a third party - a 'usually reliable source' - that cunning digital enhancement has revealed the presence of a string or wire support.

...but then adds this bit to the end of the quote, without mentioning that it was in fact his own opinion and not Martin Shough's....

However from the seriousness with which he has undertaken other investigations, I am inclined to believe that he has indeed found it.

...when really Martin ended his quote by saying....

Since several people over the years have tried to find such a thing, without success, it will be interesting to see what the new claim amounts to.

http://ufoupdateslis...c/m24-001.shtml

...And Sheaffer also fails to mention that his main 'smoking-gun' evidence that the pictures were faked by The Trents is from Joel Carpenter's abandoned theories that the object was a eight inch model [probably a similar-looking truck wing-mirror] that was hanging from the yard's electrical wires that can be plainly seen in the photographs...and that Trent actually knelt down to take the pictures from just a couple of feet off the ground , for effect.....But then this hypothesis was long ago stomped upon by the likes of Sparks, Rudiak, Shough, Maccabee etc....eg Rudiak said....

The devil is indeed in the details. Here are some other confirmatory photo details not addressed on Joel Carpenter's Web site: 1. The sighting lines to the object from the two photo points do _not_ meet under the only likely suspension point -- the electrical wires between the garage and the house. 2. The relative size difference between the object in the two photos does _not_ match what would be expected from the two photo positions to the electrical wires. 3. The size distance, however, does match what one would expect for a distant object in level flight with the elevation angles found in the photos. 4. The size difference, elevation angles, and azimuth angles are consistent with a distant object flying due west, a very unlikely event to happen by accident in any plausible hoax scenario. If Joel Carpenter reads this, I hope he isn't offended by my criticisms. This is just my peer review of his arguments. David Rudiak

http://ufoupdateslis...p/m27-019.shtml

...but of course this kind of article by Sheaffer et al is by no means new....just like their opposite numbers in the woo woo camps...they have a long history of cherry-picking , twisting facts and intentionally misleading content littering their articles with the sole design of trying to lead the reader to see things 'their way'!...[Never let inconvenient facts get in the way of 'what must have happened!']

http://brumac.8k.com/trent1.html

Cheers buddy.

Well there's not much more to tell really. I was staring up at the sky from the back of my dad's truck. My cousin was there with me. He had dozed off while looking at the stars, which were as far as the eye could see. No clouds that night. We were driving down a lone road headed back home from Uvalde, TX. As I continued to stare at the sky, the aircraft suddenly appeared and was gone in a second. It was white, leaving a blue short exhaust tail behind it. It literally appeared and vanished right in front of me. The crazy thing is, you'd think it was a star or some kind of weather phenomena, but it definitely had an engine from the sounds of it. I was excited and i awoke my cousin, whom I thought was awake too and quickly explained to him what I'd seen. Like a typical UM -mer might react, he didn't buy it for a second. I was upset, "Why would I lie?!" So I kept looking in the direction I first saw it, while he looked the other way. And then again, it reappeared out of thin air. My cousin saw it first this time, asking me, "Is that what you saw?" I nodded as we both watched in disbelief, it gave us an incredible light show. It looked like an orb, round and it didn't have visible windows or anything like that. It hovered around for a good 5 minutes until it rushed to the top of the town behind us and started blinking/flashing as a satellite. Very strange, but amazing nonetheless.

Helicopters can vanish and reappear at the drop of hat? If so...then I suppose it could've been. :w00t:

Interesting...thanks for sharing Donnie. :tu:

Cheers buddy.

• Like 1

Hi guys,...I was just browsing various areas of my home town on google maps today with my granddaughter , we had just about exhausted the built-up parts of Barnsley and so thought that I would scan around the more rural parts for animals [Daisy loves horses etc]...and quite by chance while panning over the old Carlton pit stack that had been 're-ruralised' years ago, I came across this image....

It immediately struck me as a familiar looking image that I have seen scores of times on various UFO sites!...

Before you think that i'm claiming this picture to be a 100% genuine 'flying saucer'....I agree that it is more than likely a bird flying over the old stack, obscured by 'motion blurring' ...[or something of that order?]...but I thought that I ought to share it with you guys as I thought it looked pretty cool....and well...you just never know do ya? lol.
wink2.gif

Cheers .

"When a man finds a conclusion agreeable, he accepts it without argument, but when he finds it disagreeable, he will bring against it all the forces of logic and reason." -Thucydides

Edited by 1963