Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Orbiter Finds New Gully Channel on Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Orbiter Finds New Gully Channel on Mars

A comparison of images taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter in November 2010 and May 2013 reveal the formation of a new gully channel on a crater-wall slope in the southern highlands of Mars.

These before-and-after images are available online at http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/new-gully-channel-terra-sirenum-pia17958 .

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

A New Gully Channel in Terra Sirenum

Gully, or ravine, landforms are commonly found in the mid-latitudes on Mars, particularly in the Southern highlands. (Audio by Tre Gibbs. Enhanced color images are 1 km across.)

http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_032011_1425

Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

Source: University of Arizona, HiRISE site - HiClips

Interesting find!!

Scientists have been attempting to determine what processes caused the gully to form so quickly.

A few weeks ago the story of a strange rock that had appeared in a photograph taken by NASA's Curiosity rover managed to make headlines as conventional theorizing gave rise to online speculation ranging from seismic activity to alien intervention.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...hows-up-on-mars

Interesting. It seems as if the scientists have found their own answer to this event, though not definitive.

Scientists have been attempting to determine what processes caused the gully to form so quickly.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...hows-up-on-mars

People just had too go to aliens, I'm really guys? It couldn't be possibly water or some forum of a tectonic shift? It had to be aliens. Face palms this is coming from in et and ancient Astronaut theory.

• Like 1

Flowing C02? I was under the impression that the atmospheric pressure on Mars is much too low to have liquid CO2.

So why exactly scientists don't believe it could have been made by water? What scientists? There's oceans of water underground on Mars.

I don't get it. On earth every satellite can take picture from the cars licence plates. Why the satellites we have orbiting Mars won't do it?

This mystery would have been easily solved.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 2

How often does NASA fake pictures? I have a hard time believing what NASA says because of a possible UFO coverup by the government.

• Like 1

So why exactly scientists don't believe it could have been made by water? What scientists? There's oceans of water underground on Mars.

I don't get it. On earth every satellite can take picture from the cars licence plates. Why the satellites we have orbiting Mars won't do it?

1) NASA scientists

2) There is NO confirmed "oceans of water underground on Mars"

3) Not every earth satellite has the resolution capability to image a license plate. Those are special military satellittes, and not in any way involved in the Mars missions.

How often does NASA fake pictures? I have a hard time believing what NASA says because of a possible UFO coverup by the government.

NASA does not "fake" pictures. If you have a hard time believing what NASA reports, feel free to express your opinions on the Conspiracy section of this forum.

Flowing C02? I was under the impression that the atmospheric pressure on Mars is much too low to have liquid CO2.

Temperature variations.

In the first picture (taken 3 years previously) there is an indication of this gully structure being there. Could it have been a gully largely filled with sand of other small particulates, that were subsequently scoured by storms to reveal the present gully? Just an idea.

Because Mars is so cold that water on the surface freezes. There is no flowing water anywhere on the surface. Ice crystals, maybe, but never any running water. Underground, there might be liquid water, but if it exists, it would be very deep underground. I highly doubt there are oceans underground. Because the planet's core is not hot enough to warm the surface, and the very thin atmosphere means not enough heat is trapped to melt the ice, so there are no oceans of liquid water. Maybe large concentration of ice crystals.

Edited by Ashyne

Based soley on the pace of erosion, I rank Mars the most boring planet in the solar system.

Actually Ashyne, high temperatures on Mars can reach 70 degrees. Your science is weak, probably like your Kung-Fu.

For a "newbie" to launch into ad hominem attacks is very poor form. It is poor form for anyone to do so and your comment doesnothing to suggest that your "science" is strong. Back to the thread: water ice tends to sublimate at the surface of the planet due to the extremely low air pressure (rel. to earth)

• Like 3

Actually Ashyne, high temperatures on Mars can reach 70 degrees. Your science is weak, probably like your Kung-Fu.

Withouth the kung fu part i would say exactly to the point, thank you ! So why not water torrents coming out from underground again?

A while ago nasa has released a picture of gullies showing water reversing in cascades over a crest...

Edited by qxcontinuum

I'm all for light humour but this is verging on racist

• Like 1

Cut out the personal attacks.

Withouth the kung fu part i would say exactly to the point, thank you ! So why not water torrents coming out from underground again?

Read what Keithisco has to say. If you don't get what he means by "sublimation" here is a brief explanation:

Pure water can not exist on the surface of Mars due the low atmospheric pressure. The phase of a substance (whether is is solid, liquid or gas) depends not only on temperature but pressure as well.

Sublimation means that a substance goes directly from the solid phase to the gaseous phase without passing through the liquid phase.

On Earth an example of sublimation is carbon dioxide which sublime from the solid (dry ice) to the gaseous. On Mars water behaves in the same way.

A while ago nasa has released a picture of gullies showing water reversing in cascades over a crest...

There is some evidence that highly concentrated brine (VERY salty water) can exist briefly in liquid form on the surface, however this is so full of minerals that it can barely be described as water.

There is ample evidence of the action of large quantities of water millions of years ago, before Mars lost it's atmosphere.

There are no images showing the results of "cascades of water" in the last few million years because open bodies of water are now impossible on the surface of Mars.

No cover up, no conspiracy just very, VERY basic science.

• Like 1