Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost sleep leads to loss of brain cells

Still Waters

Sleep loss may be more serious than previously thought, causing a permanent loss of brain cells, research suggests.

In mice, prolonged lack of sleep led to 25% of certain brain cells dying, according to a study in The Journal of Neuroscience.

If the same is true in humans, it may be futile to try to catch up on missed sleep, say US scientists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26630647

• Like 2

if so.. then long term insomnia suffers are in the shid

• Like 1

It remains to be seen if the same results can be drawn to Humans and at what rates. But the data so far are a clear indications that sleep is very important and should not be neglected. I can't say I never had any sleepless nights as a teenager, so I guess I may have suffered some damages...

The question is, are these damages absolutely irreversable? What about neuroplasticity? (http://en.wikipedia....Neuroplasticity)

Night shift workers are essential in our 21th century societies in all sort of area such as pruductions, maintenance, ect, There will always be need of those. Are they at great risk?

Edited by sam_comm

Well, even with this article published, I doubt it'll do much of an alteration to anyone's lifestyle; for instance, me being a habitual night owl.. darn, millions of my brain cells must be shriveling dead by now. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Long term sleep deprivation will probably kill you; this has been shown with lab animals. But, the good news from recent research, is that neurogenesis, at least in the hippocampus, is responsive to exercise. Exercise increases synaptic plasticity and reduces inflammation and cognitive decline.

So which is more damaging:

1) Sleeping for 8 hours at 4 segments of 2-hour intervals with 15 minutes of wakefulness between each interval,

or

2) Sleeping for 5 hours at full length, with no interrupted sleep?

And also, does this apply only to night-shift workers/people who sleep in day and wake at night, or it applies to all who follow the damaging patterns of disordered/lack of sleep?

If a night-shift worker/person sleeps 8 hours in the day and wakes to work at night, is this person risking more damaging effects than the same person who sleeps 8 hours at night and works in the day?

The article is very confusing!

Brain damage on the cards for sleep-deprived shift workers

night shift workers who suffer from interrupted sleeping patterns are at a higher risk of brain damage, with prolonged lack of sleep factoring into the permanent loss of brain cells.

Edited by Ashyne

I have done something new and different in my life, using scalar energies. I am sleeping so, so, so much better. I feel like I am going so much more into deep sleep. I remember dreams more. Man, I am going to "dose" the house now. I never ever want to take a pill to sleep.

• Like 1

As a long term insomniac I guess I'm screwed. I figured most of my cognitive impairment was just coming with old age.

• Like 1

As a long term insomniac I guess I'm screwed. I figured most of my cognitive impairment was just coming with old age.

Yeah I'm a long term insomniac too,I also start work at 4am each day.I guess I'm going to be a vegetable in a few years time

• Like 2

I guess we can't take it the other way. IF so, my wife would be the smartest person on the planet. I swear she sleeps more than she's awake. Five minutes after she gets home she's asleep.( A slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)

Edited by paperdyer

My wife even has fallen asleep standing up. It runs in her family. My mother-in-law can do the same thing.

Edited by paperdyer

So college is making us stupid.

• Like 2

photo-thumb-79790.jpg

Crikey. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since I was a teenager. I'm lucky to have more than 2 brain cells left at my age.

• Like 1

How long have the people who created this, studied a number of people in a sleepless environment, or have they just used it as a thesis to get through an exam.AAAaaarrrgh,gotta go my brain just fell out of my ear.

Sleep loss may be more serious than previously thought, causing a permanent loss of brain cells, research suggests.

In mice, prolonged lack of sleep led to 25% of certain brain cells dying, according to a study in The Journal of Neuroscience.

If the same is true in humans, it may be futile to try to catch up on missed sleep, say US scientists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26630647

Do you have any idea just how the electrosmog influences our quality of sleep?

Is this electrosmog deliberately designed to create brain cell loss in us?

I am telling you, last night, I slept for 10 hours straight, feeling like I finally had the deepest sleep for 15 years, ... having first altered some things regarding electrosmog in this house. It seems to be working. Loss of my brain cells is indeed my worst nightmare. (sips my oolong) I am kind of attached to them.

In Science, there was an article about mice whose cranial interstitial space was being measured. When they slept, the interstitial space, the space between the cells and outside the blood supply, grew by some two fold. When the mice were awake, the interstital space between the cells and outside the blood supply decreased, allowing for more use of the neurons. The function of this flux in the interstitial space in the brain was to carry away the brain function's metabolites. Getting rid of the waste from the brain is highly important.

So basically, whatever we can do to improve sleep and to sleep deeply, is beneficial, ... hopefully chemical-free. And whatever alters our ability to sleep is bad, bad, bad and can destroy our health and mentation.

Edited by regeneratia

Now they should do another study to see if any of the cognitive damage could be repaired by administering doses of cannabis. I have read studies that suggest certain compounds in cannabis can aid in braincell growth. Seems like a perfect opportunity for further research.

I never get enough normal, and i am sleep!