Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
DieChecker

Sea Snakes only drink fresh water

4 posts in this topic

http://www.thealmagest.com/study-proves-sea-snakes-survive-only-on-fresh-water/11466

Some of the top physiology books also claim that sea snakes have filters that help them to consume salt water without being affected by the salt content. Lillywhite said that they have tested many sea snakes and none of them drinks sea water. One of the reasons why sea snakes prefer fresh water is because it is less dense than sea water and it forms a film at the surface. During the rainfall sea snakes will consume one sip to 25% of their body mass. During climate change and reduction in rainfall, sea snakes can stay without fresh water for as long as seven months which helps them to survive in drought conditions.

I found this interesting. Apparently the sea snakes only drink when rain water pools on the surface of the ocean.

1 person likes this

That is interesting! ,,, makes me think they evolved from land creatures. ?

wow, i had no idea! Seven months without water? Amazing!

1 person likes this

That is interesting! ,,, makes me think they evolved from land creatures. ?

Of course they evolved from land creatures. They're snakes. Sea snakes make up a subfamily that adapted to marine life.