Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abortion rights group thanks donors

OverSword

This is a thing:

A Washington, D.C. area abortion rights group gives a coat hanger pendant necklace to those who make a monthly donation of $10 or more to the organization.

The group is The DC Abortion Fund (DCAF).

On their website, they are described as an "all volunteer, non-profit organization that makes grants to women and girls in DC, Maryland and Virginia who cannot afford the full cost of an abortion."

Their slogan is "Her Rights Shouldn't Depend On Her Wallet."

Abortion advocates sometimes use the hanger to remind of the un-safe, illegal abortions some women sought in the past, and how far women's rights have progressed since then.

Yet, others are offended by the coat hanger pendant and the symbolism behind it.

25020355_BG1.jpg

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25020355/abortion-rights-group-thanks-donors-with-coat-hanger-pendant-necklace

Idk if I would consider myself pro-choice or pro-life. Im undecided

But I do think the coat hanger is a good point, reminds people that when the process is illegal people still get abortions just in unsafe ways or with quack doctors in a van. So in a way keeping it legal keeps it safe at least.

But should we consider all life sacred regardless of how "developed" they are, isn't it our job to protect all life? Regardless of if people continue to do it.

These are some of the reasons im undecided anyways

Edit: Just to add that I think its dumb when people try and say its a "womens rights" issue. Men are involved in making kids too plus pro-life people are not pro-life because they want to oppress women that's just dumb.... specially since tons of women are also pro-life

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

Could you imagine the outrage if Pro-Death Penalty organizations wore little nooses?

I see people wearing an old torture/execution device all the time.

• Like 8

There's better ways to convey a message. This is about the most tasteless thing I have seen in a while.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as bad press. Now I've heard of the DC Abortion Fund too. :whistle:

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

During the reign of terror the few silversmiths and jewelers who survived the purges made little Guillotines as eartz crucifixes for the masses.

• Like 2

Could you imagine the outrage if Pro-Death Penalty organizations wore little nooses?

I thought they wore crosses..
  • Like 1

Christians use the crucifix as a symbol of good where it was once a Roman punishment.

The Nazis used the swastika. But Hindus and Buddhist use the symbol to show good fortune,

It all depends on how an individual chooses to look at it.

Seems in bad taste to me.

Perhaps they need to put a red enamel fetus on the end of the coathanger?

Perhaps they need to put a red enamel fetus on the end of the coathanger?

I would wear that. But people do call me strange.... :hmm:

• Like 1

Some parts of the world women have no choice at all.

I would wear that. But people do call me strange.... :hmm:

I can respect that. :tu:

I see people wearing an old torture/execution device all the time.

Now if you could only grasp what it means :)
  • Like 1

Some parts of the world women have no choice at all.

[media=]

Here is a world leading statistician who conclusively proves that we have reached "peak-child" and global population will not exceed 12 billion ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXGEwp_q-M

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Here is a world leading statistician who conclusively proves that we have reached "peak-child" and global population will not exceed 12 billion ever.

I'm sure there were million dollar statisticians who said that the stock markets and morgage loans would never collapse, yet they did.

Personnally I'm going to have to wait and see what happens. I don't believe that people will throw their traditions regarding family size aside anytime soon.

Like 12 billion wouldn't be way too many anyway. We're at 7 billion now and really things are just getting worse for those nations with massive population growth. Doubling their population isn't going to help.

The current growth rate, from 1960 to 2010 is basically linear...

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_pop_totl&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=population%20of%20the%20earth

Edited by DieChecker

I'm sure there were million dollar statisticians who said that the stock markets and morgage loans would never collapse, yet they did.

Personnally I'm going to have to wait and see what happens. I don't believe that people will throw their traditions regarding family size aside anytime soon.

Like 12 billion wouldn't be way too many anyway. We're at 7 billion now and really things are just getting worse for those nations with massive population growth. Doubling their population isn't going to help.

The current growth rate, from 1960 to 2010 is basically linear...

https://www.google.c...on of the earth

If you watched the documentary (i know it's an hour, but it's worth it), there is demonstrable evidence that we have reached peak child and that when this group of children are adults we will have reached peak population. The documentary already shows that birth rates have dropped naturally as child mortality has decreased. It also points out that our ideas are outdated on how many children women are having in poorer countries, with almost every country dropping birth rates to 2 children per woman.Edit: that graph you linked is somewhat misleading as population growth is exponential when you look at a large timeline. Equally, the decline in population growth is also exponential

Edited by Professor Buzzkill

The graph may be misleading, but it is also true.

We can show statistically where growth should be heading, but it is like the weather, models may be wrong.

I plan to live to see 2050 at least, so I'll be there to see if these models hold true. And if they don't I'll probably rant about it, like I do with the idiot weathermen on the TV, who can't tell when it is snowing outside unless they stick their head out a window.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1