Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans can smell up to 1 trillion odours

UM-Bot

Scientists have determined that the human nose is far more capable than previously believed.

The widely held belief that we can only distinguish up to 10,000 different smells has been blown out of the water in a new report this week that suggests the real number may be closer to 1 trillion.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264119/humans-can-smell-up-to-1-trillion-odours

Hmmm,1 trillion odours. One things for certain, I don't like to be in a room where everyone has had a bowl of chilli.

• Like 1

U should just walk tru my neighbourhood and this numbers will change very fast, higher ofc by trillions. I am not sure what are some people cooking in their homes but even my dog runs away from some areas.

Id have to say the worst smell ive ever come in contact with was a rotting deer that was stored in a freezer I hauled off for this old man. instant gag reflex Ill never forget that.

And out of all of them, 1 million I'll never want to smell in my life again.

• Like 1

Thats ridiculous, why stop at a trillion?

• Like 1

Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please.

Maximus

Please list all odours used in this experiment, alphabeticaly please.

Maximus

True but it's only suggested.

My skin has an odor when my blood sugar gets a little high. I am not diabetic. It does, however, run in the family. I can smell something on my arms, after a night's sleep, that tells me I need to cut down on the carbs for a couple of days. I cut down on the carbs and take chromium and magnesium immediately upon smelling that odor.

The worst smell I have ever experienced has happened quite a few times. That smell is when people poop blood. When combined with liver failure, the smell is enough to make you faint.

Edited by regeneratia

I don't think any human being will be able to smell a trillion different odors in a lifetime anyway. I doubt I reached the initial ten thousand to begin with.

how many different odours can a dog smell

• Like 1

My smellier half has produced some that were off the scale !