Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fred Phelps won't have funeral

questionmark

March. 21 (UPI) -- No funeral will be held for Fred Phelps, Sr., the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, who died shortly before midnight late Wednesday.

The 84-year-old former leader of the controversial church, who was excommunicated in August 2013, died at a hospice in Topeka, Kan., shortly after his estranged son Nathan Phelps announced his father was "on the edge of death".

While the family offered no explanation for why there would be no funeral, his former church, known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals, tweeted out a statement giving "thanks [to] God for Fred Phelps Sr.'s passing."

I guess the explanation is that they are scared pooless that some picketers would play a little tit-for-tat.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

It would be biker heaven.

• Like 1

What do you expect from a bunch bigoted piece-of-**** cowards?

• Like 3

What do you expect from a bunch bigoted piece-of-**** cowards?

Welcome to the circle of hate.

• Like 2

They protested military funerals. They said those children in Connecticut died because of their parent's sins. No one is going to miss him. Just how it is.

• Like 3

They protested military funerals. They said those children in Connecticut died because of their parent's sins. No one is going to miss him. Just how it is.

The Amish children that the man killed while they're in school, they were going to protest their funerals. Thankfully a fox affiliate, offered them time on his show as a deal in return that they give the parents time too morn. They did the interview on the day of funerals so they couldn't attend the protest. That was the only time you ever see me thankful of Fox News. The evil sob is dead, I just wish they would have the courage too put on a funeral that way we could show them that were better than they are by having signs of love. Like god love everyone, he doesn't hate as we picket his funeral. Even men of hate are beloved by god is another one we should do.

• Like 1

The earth just rid of one more pile of crap.i wonder if he likes hell

Edited by coolguy
  • Like 1

Welcome to the real f#$%';\ world.

I love you.

• Like 1

I hope he has a grave so I could perhaps spit or dance on it, if I'm ever in the area

I imagine that his grave will be wonderful to visit in the winter. It should stay very warm.

Me thinks you people are to moved to hate to quickly.

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” The Phantom Menace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeAQ_TCWglw&sns=em

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

"Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." The Phantom Menace

It also lead to the eventual balancing of the force.

Me thinks you people are to moved to hate to quickly.

"Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." The Phantom Menace

Not quite, it is just a question of who sows wind will harvest storms. The funeral picketing was invented by Phelps, not by us.

Phelps's son sends out a message of hope at the time of his fathers death;

Fred Phelps is now the past. The present and the future are for the living. Unfortunately, Fred’s ideas have not died with him, but live on, not just among the members of Westboro Baptist Church, but among the many communities and small minds that refuse to recognize the equality and humanity of our brothers and sisters on this small planet we share.
I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been.
I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.

Even more, I mourn the ongoing injustices against the LGBT community, the unfortunate target of his 23 year campaign of hate. His life impacted many outside the walls of the WBC compound, uniting us across all spectrums of orientation and belief as we realized our strength lies in our commonalities, and not our differences. How many times have communities risen up together in a united wall against the harassment of my family? Differences have been set aside for that cause, tremendous and loving joint efforts mobilized within hours… and because of that,
I ask this of everyone — let his death mean something. Let every mention of his name and of his church be a constant reminder of the tremendous good we are all capable of doing in our communities.

The lessons of my father were not unique to him, nor will this be the last we hear of his words, which are echoed from pulpits as close as other churches in Topeka, Kansas, where WBC headquarters remain, and as far away as Uganda. Let’s end the support of hateful and divisive teachings describing the LGBT community as “less than”, “sinful”, or “abnormal.”
Embrace the LGBT community as our equals, our true brothers and sisters, by promoting equal rights for everyone, without exception. My father was a man of action, and I implore us all to embrace that small portion of his faulty legacy by doing the same.

The message is - bigotry doesn't have to win.

Br Cornelius

I hope he has a grave so I could perhaps spit or dance on it, if I'm ever in the area

Does anyone see the absurdity in this reaction? I dislike what he did so much.. that I'm going to do it, too!

Round and round we go.

• Like 3

Does anyone see the absurdity in this reaction? I dislike what he did so much.. that I'm going to do it, too!

Round and round we go.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

I guess the explanation is that they are scared pooless that some picketers would play a little tit-for-tat.

The guy is dead. Victory for humanity. Now let's move on.

(And of course we all know there will be a funeral they just don't want you to know where and when.. hmmm....I wonder why ?)

I don't expect to see him on the other side. My suspicion is he'll fall short of grace. You can't lead a life hating on people and expect to go to be rewarded in the afterlife.

I don't expect to see him on the other side. My suspicion is he'll fall short of grace. You can't lead a life hating on people and expect to go to be rewarded in the afterlife.

He was following his Bible to the letter, by all rights he should be one of the elect. That is why I have no respect for Christians since to follow its dictates would make you like Phelps - and that is been honest.

Br Cornelius

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

It's one thing to be guilty of being imperfect. It's another to celebrate it.

He was following his Bible to the letter, by all rights he should be one of the elect. That is why I have no respect for Christians since to follow its dictates would make you like Phelps - and that is been honest.

Br Cornelius

i don't think he had a single belief anywhere in his shrivelled and cancerous soul. All he used it for was very selectively as a vehicle for hatred.

• Like 1

they can mourn him (or not, since that's what it looks like) in whatever way they see fit. i'm not about to forgive the man for all the harm he did, but i don't think there's any use in trying to hurt people still living. revenge is a pretty empty thing. especially when the person is question is dead.

i don't think he had a single belief anywhere in his shrivelled and cancerous soul. All he used it for was very selectively as a vehicle for hatred.

Here is an interesting interview with his son which might make you reconsider that. Phelps was genuine in his beliefs, but was possessed by the type of madness which grips all zealots, and why religion is generally such a dangerous force in the world

Br Cornelius

Round and round we go.

You see I don't believe in religion so I don't believe Fred is burning in hell now.I would however like to think I could upset his family in the same way they have,and will continue to do so,to other people who have lost loved ones.They don't care about other peoples feelings so why care about theirs? Maybe its me but I don't follow this "turn the other cheek " business