Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UM-Bot

Paintings shed light on Earth's atmosphere

8 posts in this topic

Researchers have been able to piece together clues about the environment by looking at old paintings.

While to the untrained eye a sunset in an old painting might seem like little more than a fascinating work of art, to scientists these images from the past can also carry important clues indicating the state of the environment at the time they were painted.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264241/paintings-shed-light-on-earths-atmosphere

with so much pollution in the air for the last 200 years or so our brains perceive greens and reds has changed dramatically

Paintings are not photographs, and there is this little thing called "artistic license", which might suggest the colours used in paintings are designed to be evocative, rather than true-to-life.

Using art in such a manner seems to me to be inherently unscientific and unreliable.

2 people like this

My thoughts exactly. But if many different artist from different places start painting more red in their skies in between a certain time period you've found a pattern. Which does tell us some information about the skies in those times. Although you can question the accuracy because most painting from different time periods are often romanticized.

All other scientifics aside this is a BEAUTY of a picture. Wish that I had the time and view to paint like this!

What if we used Pablo Picasso, to explian human evolution. AHH, Yes, look how we have evloved!

I cry :) I mean, all them colors are just artist's way of expressing his feelings, or feelings about that environment... Ilogical.

If I were deciding which climate change studies to fund, I would probably not choose this one. One has to wonder if the things they learned were worth the investment.

We still get atmospheric conditions that are as clear as some of those in the paintings, but they are under exceptional conditions. The exceptional ones are the ones people (and artists) remember and paint. So I'm wondering about sample bias. The other question is change over time: how much was there? Did they make any attempt to determine variation? So many questions.

Doug