Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy clown terrifies Staten Island

UM-Bot

A mysterious man dressed as a clown has been appearing on streets all over the New York borough.

In a strange echo of the creepy clown phenomenon that freaked out Northampton in the UK last September, people have been taking to social media sites to post photographs and sightings of another creepy clown figure that has been popping up all over New York's Staten Island.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...s-staten-island

• Like 1

That is a horrible publicity stunt. I mean, it is an attention grabber, but imagine how terrified kids in the area must be to go out when there is a creepy clown wandering around. That **** is terrifying when you are young.

• Like 1

That is a horrible publicity stunt. I mean, it is an attention grabber, but imagine how terrified kids in the area must be to go out when there is a creepy clown wandering around. That **** is terrifying when you are young.

Clowns never terrified me as a kid. Quite the opposite, actually.

And this guy looks like a regular, streotypical, boring clown - nothing creepy about him.

• Like 2

similar story but about a devil baby in nyc scaring people in january 2014

similar story but about a devil baby in nyc scaring people in january 2014

Wasn't that a promo for a movie?

• Like 1

Someone must send this "thing" back to the depths of hell or wherever it comes from! CLOWNS r $hitty.

Would terrify me more now as an adult than when I was young. :P

• Like 3

Wasn't that a promo for a movie?

none the less its scaring people, be it the crazy clown or devil baby, and this story might also be a promo for a movie

Would terrify me more now as an adult than when I was young. :P

Yeah...someone, who cannot be identified, lurking around creeps me out more now.

• Like 1

I have been terrified of clowns from a very young age and still am. Even happy seeming clowns, but this one is scary. What kind of jerk would do that as publicity? Does he think people will be more attracted to any product when the creepy clown makes them pee in their pants from fright when they see him on the street at night?

Where's Seely Booth when you need him! He hates clowns. He shot the clown head from an ice cream truck. He'd take care of him.

I think this is fun. Its better if its in public because then people can keep an eye on him....round 2 of Nottingham clown?

Having a fear of clowns is a strange thing, and I do no understand it. Is the person chemically predestined to have these fears? Does it come from childhood? I've heard people say they were terrified the first time they saw it, which is strange, because fear like that without some sort of trauma seems hard to imagine, but its there. Fascinating.

Having a fear of clowns is a strange thing, and I do no understand it. Is the person chemically predestined to have these fears? Does it come from childhood? I've heard people say they were terrified the first time they saw it, which is strange, because fear like that without some sort of trauma seems hard to imagine, but its there. Fascinating.

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the makeup and caricature of humanity. Clowns seem human, but are just different enough in appearance and action to not appear totally--sort of pseudo-human. John Wayne Gacy didn't help matters.

• Like 2

I have two lines of thought on this...

1. I heard they are remaking Stephen Kings IT, maybe they got the marketing machine rolling early.
  2. He is just copying the guy who done this in the UK last year, who happened to trump him in the 'creepy' stakes.

Edited by Junior Chubb

'IT' done me in for clowns, horrid movie that had me glued in fascination that the director could combine so many elements in the scenes to scare the blooming bejeesuz outa me!

First Northampton, and now Staten Island. These are not isolated incidents. They are growing. Spreading. Soon there will be one at every corner of every block. Only then will we realize that we truly are doomed.

So the Northampton clown finally went on holiday. Even weirdos need some down time. Beep beep, Sir, beep beep.

Yeah Pennywise and John Wayne Gacy has pretty much sealed the fate of clowns as the officially creepiest figure ever, in modern time. But Coulrophobia I think goes back much further. Thinking of the creepy jesters and jokers of early royal courts and nobility, often appearing quite unpredictable and irrational with disturbing behavior and creepy laughter etc.I bet those scared both kids and adults some times.

Portrait-Raphael-Boyon-Jester-992x1537.jpg

Tom Fool from Shakespeare's King Lear is said to be based on the real jester/fool named Thomas Skelton, who had a sadistic sense of humor.

Thomas Skelton was the last court jester of Muncaster Castle with a sinister sense of "humor".The saying “Tom Foolery” allegedly comes from Skelton’s knack to send travelers he didn’t like to their deaths in the quicksands of the River Esk..One story in particular is sinister enough to cause shivers to run down your spine.Known for sitting beneath an old chestnut tree outside the front entrance of the castle, Tom Skelton was often asked for directions. This position also gave him opportunity to witness the comings and goings of people to and from the castle, which is how he allegedly spotted Pennington’s daughter Helwise sneak off with a local carpenter.

When Skelton told his master what he’d seen, he’d been ordered by Sir William Pennington to get rid of the carpenter. Only one method of disposal would work for Tom. The fool got the carpenter drunk on cider one evening and, for a somewhat poetic lark, he used the carpenter’s own tools– mallet and broad chisel– to decapitate the poor, love-struck man. Tom is rumored to have said, “When the lazy dolt wakes up, he’ll have trouble finding his head.”

Skelton then presented his lord with the head of the carpenter, but it is unclear from historical records how the Sir William Pennington reacted.

http://4girlsandagho...of-tom-foolery/

Even masquerade of old times, like in Venice-masquerades, with those expressionless masks, or the long beaks, is quite freaky. Have a look at this.>>

[media=]

[/media]

That Tom fella, I like his style.

I like this clown thing, people want to be scared, it reminds us that we're alive.

Its why we watch horror movies, ride roller coasters, read ghost stories go to haunted houses.

Fear is Fun

This incident, like the one in Northampton, is a good example of our hippocampus and amygdala responding to fear. Or, how we as humans respond to novelty, however benign.

people want to be scared, it reminds us that we're alive.

Its why we watch horror movies, ride roller coasters, read ghost stories go to haunted houses.

Fear is Fun

Have you seen this "instant-scare" BTW? http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264214&hl=

A quick-fix for horror-junkies. :)

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the makeup and caricature of humanity. Clowns seem human, but are just different enough in appearance and action to not appear totally--sort of pseudo-human. John Wayne Gacy didn't help matters.

First thing I thought of too. Considering what Gacey did, it is honestly amazing this guy has not been lynched as a precaution.

To be frank, it seems a downright stupid thing to do.

The pic looks creepy to me.

I prefer Harlequins.

HarleyQ.jpg

• Like 1