Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arrested for drinking tea in public

OverSword

OK, ok...In my opinion this man is guilty of drinking out of a can in public while being black. Racist cop can't admit he made a mistake.

from the article:

So, it’s a warm day, and you’re standing in a parking lot, drinking a refreshing can of iced tea. Suddenly, a random dude walks up and demands your beverage. You show him that it is in fact iced tea and that you aren’t publicly intoxicated. He tells you to give him the can and you say no, figuring this stranger can get his own iced tea.

Incidentally, the random dude is a plainclothes police officer. Despite the fact that you’re drinking iced tea, you are flung to the ground and put in a chokehold, because we all know that folks just can’t be drinking iced tea all willy-nilly in a parking lot like that.

This is exactly what happened to rapper

Christopher “Xstrav” Beatty, who was handcuffed and arrested by

Officer Rick Libero of the Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement

for drinking a can of Arizona iced tea in the parking lot of a liquor store in Fayetteville, North Carolina last April. Luckily for Beatty, a friend was right there, capturing the arrested on his camera. It’s also important to note that Officer Libero did NOT immediately identify himself as a police officer.

Read it here

• Like 3

All depends on the funny laws, in Iowa you can go to jail for just "pretending to be drunk in public".

This is why I think cops should have to wear a camera on their cloths at all times with all the videos having full disclosure to anyone who is being prosecuted

• Like 4

The cop should be arrested for assault and kidnapping, or false um... restraint? There's some kind of law against holding people against their will I'm sure.

This story is really, "Huge ego doesn't like being told "no" so attacks."

• Like 3

I'm curious as to why the shown video started where it did. He said he started it when they got out of the car and the officer didn't identify himself as such, but it didn't show that part. It's not unusual for people to open a can of something and add liquor so it doesn't appear they are drinking in public, which is against the law in the majority of places.

I've done it knowing full well anyone in close proximity could smell it.

Edited by Michelle

The cop should be arrested for assault and kidnapping, or false um... restraint? There's some kind of law against holding people against their will I'm sure.

This story is really, "Huge ego doesn't like being told "no" so attacks."

Huh? No one that get's arrested does so at will, so how exactly could that be a law?

Anyway..can we please stop posting articles and calling them police officers? Once again..this is a security guard.

I'm just curious if he was being loud or disruptful and that is why the officer was drawn over to them?

Or if he just decided he didn't like the way he looked and needed to sniff his tea? (that sounds so ridiculous)

If he was just standing in the parking lot minding his own business, then the cop was in the wrong, for sure.

Very sad that this type of crap still happens.

Anyway..can we please stop posting articles and calling them police officers? Once again..this is a security guard.

Where do you get the idea that "this is a security guard"?

• Like 3

I don't know the full story, but if the rapper was guilty of being black and in the wrong place at the wrong time, the cop deserves some sort of punishment here. I have consumed a plastic cup with iced tea in it in a parking lot and especially at my age, it would really freak me out if a cop came up to me and demanded to sniff the tea, too.

• Like 1

Huh? No one that get's arrested does so at will, so how exactly could that be a law?

I was kind of wondering about this. I might be mistaken, but this was at a ABC store, and the plainclothes was an ABC officer. ABC stores are state run or affiliated with the state, yes? Would that make the officer a cop like in the police, or a store officer like a security guard?

• Like 1

He was in the parking lot of a liquor store. The officer had a justifiable reason to inspect the contents of the can. Other than that though the officer was out of line.

• Like 1

He is not a cop, and he is not a police officer. He is a glorified security guard for the Alcoholic Beverage Control. And yes, he should be fired.

I was kind of wondering about this. I might be mistaken, but this was at a ABC store, and the plainclothes was an ABC officer. ABC stores are state run or affiliated with the state, yes? Would that make the officer a cop like in the police, or a store officer like a security guard?

That is why I'm going with security guard. North Carolina is a commonwealth. So, like Pennsylvania, all beer and liquor is sold by the state. These are basically just security guards for the state run store, but their title sounds more "official".

Edit: Nevermind, North Carolina is not a commonwealth, but the state still sells the liquor.

Edited by Agent0range

He was in the parking lot of a liquor store. The officer had a justifiable reason to inspect the contents of the can. Other than that though the officer was out of line.

I didn't realize that liquor store parking lots were exempted from the Constitution.

Just perused the Constitution and can't find the part where it says it doesn't apply in liquor store parking lots.

Wrong. Officer Rick Libero of the Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement. Alcohol enforcment are police.
  • Like 1

Wrong. Officer Rick Libero of the Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement. Alcohol enforcment are police.

Oh boy..and hear you go with your half informed comments. They are not the DEA. Alcohol and beverage control...do you know what that is? ABC Store? Put 2 and 2 together buddy. ABC Store is the state run Alcohol and Beverage Control Store. It is a liquor store, and this is a state hired security guard for this store. Would you call a game warden who checks fishing licenses a police officer? Exact same thing. That's what happens when your source is The Daily Sheeple...you only get half the story.

I didn't realize that liquor store parking lots were exempted from the Constitution.

Just perused the Constitution and can't find the part where it says it doesn't apply in liquor store parking lots.

So questionable behavior should never be investigated either? There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the contents of a can that someone is drinking in front of a liquor store in a state where the public consumption of alcohol is against the law. That is not infringing on anyone's civil liberties protected by the constitution. Being arrested/detained for drinking tea is however...

• Like 2

I'm curious as to why the shown video started where it did. He said he started it when they got out of the car and the officer didn't identify himself as such, but it didn't show that part. It's not unusual for people to open a can of something and add liquor so it doesn't appear they are drinking in public, which is against the law in the majority of places.

I've done it knowing full well anyone in close proximity could smell it.

I thought the same thing so I found the video that shows the whole thing. Raw video starts at 0:25.

[media=]

[/media]

This is the very first topic of a police abuse case on this forum that I agree that it is abuse. The cop does not show his badge until 2 minutes into the confrontation. And while the man did somewhat resist arrest I believe in this case he had every right to.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

Oh boy..and hear you go with your half informed comments. They are not the DEA. Alcohol and beverage control...do you know what that is? ABC Store? Put 2 and 2 together buddy. ABC Store is the state run Alcohol and Beverage Control Store. It is a liquor store, and this is a state hired security guard for this store. Would you call a game warden who checks fishing licenses a police officer? Exact same thing. That's what happens when your source is The Daily Sheeple...you only get half the story.

A game warden can arrest you, so is a LEO, so for all intents and purposes a cop. Nothing at all like the security guard at an office building or a rent-a-cop. Get your facts straight. Do you get tired of this? I do. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

So questionable behavior should never be investigated either? There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the contents of a can that someone is drinking in front of a liquor store in a state where the public consumption of alcohol is against the law. That is not infringing on anyone's civil liberties protected by the constitution. Being arrested/detained for drinking tea is however...

I don't think drinking out of a can or cup is questionable enough to mess with the person. He could have observed for a moment and determined if the guy was drunk? Cops and such really need to back off a little .. and quit kicking butt before they even know if the person is guilty of anything! It's disgusting and completely wrong policy to force people to the ground immediately and start beating on someone that is not an obvious THREAT .

• Like 2

I don't think drinking out of a can or cup is questionable enough to mess with the person. He could have observed for a moment and determined if the guy was drunk? Cops and such really need to back off a little .. and quit kicking butt before they even know if the person is guilty of anything! It's disgusting and completely wrong policy to force people to the ground immediately and start beating on someone that is not an obvious THREAT .

I agree that the situation wasn't handled properly though I still think that asking to inspect the contents of the can was within reasonable limits. You are right though that a little more discretion on the officer's part would have been better as well.

• Like 1

another story where a police officer arrests some innocent person doing something that is not breaking the law, therefore I have a question!!!

ARE POLICE OFFICERS ON COMMISSION OR SOMETHING???????????

• Like 1