Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for Clues to Water's Origins

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers Looking for Clues to Water's Origins

A gas and dust cloud collapses to form a star. Amid a whirling disc of debris, little bits of rock coated with liquid water and ice begin to stick together. It is this stage of a star's formation that astronomers hope to learn more about how water cycles through a solar system, although this is also when some of the least evidence is available to study.

If water is created prior to stellar birth, then all planetary systems will be born with abundant water, giving rise to what could be life-friendly conditions throughout the universe. However, if this water is sometimes destroyed as the disc is formed, then water would not be as common in the cosmos.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

I just saw the thread title and though, when two hydrogen atoms love an oxygen atom very, very much...

• Like 2

Eventually waterbubble planets will be discovered.

And maybe water powered suns.... Hydros?

And maybe water powered suns.... Hydros?

What are you talking about? This is nonsense.

• Like 2

What are you talking about? This is nonsense.

Really? The Earth is filled with water. Three states of it exist in abundance right under your feet and in the air you breathe. It is electrically charging through your veins. Who said there is no such thing as hydo power? Im not sure what you mean by nonsense because the universe seems to be changing in perspective on a day by day basis. Is it not ok to suppose or theorise? Are bubble universes non sense too? And your thoughts on asteroids existing with rings? It seems to me that non sense is being unveiled on a regular basis.

Really? The Earth is filled with water. Three states of it exist in abundance right under your feet and in the air you breathe. It is electrically charging through your veins. Who said there is no such thing as hydo power? Im not sure what you mean by nonsense because the universe seems to be changing in perspective on a day by day basis. Is it not ok to suppose or theorise? Are bubble universes non sense too? And your thoughts on asteroids existing with rings? It seems to me that non sense is being unveiled on a regular basis.

It is ok to theorize, but if you can't propose a plausible mechanism your theories will be ridiculed - and justifiably so.

You could form a star consisting of 66.6% H and 33.3% O atoms. I don't know how this would naturally occur, but if you stuck enough atoms together eventually some form of fusion would occur and the star would ignite.

This star would not qualify as being ``made of water'' though. The temperature is much to high for molecular bonds to exist.

Water is not just 2 H + 1 O. Water is a specific molecular structure.

Water cannot exist as a liquid in vacuum, so the likelihood of water being able to condense into a 'water bubble planet' is nil. Some planets may be found which have a greater percentage of water by mass than Earth, but that will not make them "water bubble planets."

• 2 months later...
Is it not ok to suppose or theorise?

There is a huge difference between a scientific theory and a "hey! I want this to be true!" brainfart - a difference you don't seem to be able to grasp.

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between a scientific theory and a "hey! I want this to be true!" brainfart - a difference you don't seem to be able to grasp.

You might find this interesting...

New Type of Alien Planet Is a Steamy 'Waterworld'

GJ 1214b thus appears to have much more water than Earth does, and much less rock. The alien planet's interior structure is likely quite different from that of our world.

http://www.space.com/14634-alien-planet-steamy-waterworld-gj1214b.html

Needless to add if everything is known about everything there is to know then we might as well all pack up and go home.

Needless to add if everything is known about everything there is to know then we might as well all pack up and go home.

"hey! I want this to be true!"

But where do I say that! lol. In any case you are only putting words in my mouth which shows bad form on your part. It is ok to suppose or theorize, only the truth exists in reality. The reason science asks questions is because not all the answers are known.

A scientific truth comes in three states like water. They can be either solid, on which other truths are founded, or liquid where the truth might change over time, or a gas where the truth is simply unknown, which in itself is a truth.

So how about doing some constructive thinking rather than looking at what I write and telling yourself, "hey! I want this to be false!"

It is ok to suppose or theorize, only the truth exists in reality.

Theorising is fine, but it must be based on an understanding of the subject that is being theorised about. That is how science progresses.

You have no such understanding.

In topic after topic you make wild guesses from a position of ignorance, lacking even the knowledge to recognises how utterly wrong your posts are. That is the exact opposite of how science progresses.

Science knows that it doesn’t know everything; otherwise, it’d stop. But just because science doesn’t know everything doesn’t mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.
- Comedian, mathematician and physicst Dara O Briain

You would do well to read that quote, understand it and act on that understanding. Sadly experience suggests that you will only achieve the first of these three suggestions.

Rather than producing the intelligent conversation on subjects you seem to believe you are generating the reality is that you actually prevent it occurring. Topic after topic becomes derailed from it's original subject and perverted into yet another thread dedicated to debunking your ill-informed and frequently ludicrous ideas.

It need not be like this. There are many people on this site that have a REAL understanding of science. Instead of guessing and then arguing with those that know more than you, you could ASK questions. You could read the replies. You could learn. Then, one day, your ideas might be intelligent theorising instead of clueless wild guesses.

The choice is yours taniwha, no one can make you learn, but you need to choose to learn.

I heard (but I could have heard wrongly) from some tv show, that water is more abundant in space then the average man thinks. This is probably true, but what I wonder is if it is water like we have water.. safe for human consumption.

The universe seems to always hold surprising finds for us. I often wonder what it would be like to be able to easily have space travel, and I and my family would be traveling along and find us a small planet made up of diamond.. (Since we now know the exist)...

sometimes i feel like our life span is to short. If i am only in my 50's now and we are learning so much.. what new stuff is going to be found 100 yrs from now>?

not sure this makes much sense, because basically we humans are nothing but 'sacs of water'.. (loosely speaking).. and if we were out in space without intense protection, we would not be sacs of anything for long...

SO i am not sure how 'water bubbles' would be able to exist

I heard (but I could have heard wrongly) from some tv show, that water is more abundant in space then the average man thinks. This is probably true, but what I wonder is if it is water like we have water.. safe for human consumption.

Most of the water is in the form of molecules spread out unbelievably thinly in gas clouds. There may be vast amounts of it, and if you could collect it it could be made drinkable, but it is so sparsely spread out that it would not be practicable to collect it. It would like trying to get a drink of water by sucking in a very light mist... only much, much worse.

Of course when these gas clouds collapse into stars and planet then it can end up as ice, atmospheric vapour or, on those lucky worlds that are in the habitable zone, liquid oceans.

The universe seems to always hold surprising finds for us. I often wonder what it would be like to be able to easily have space travel, and I and my family would be traveling along and find us a small planet made up of diamond.. (Since we now know the exist)...

sometimes i feel like our life span is to short. If i am only in my 50's now and we are learning so much.. what new stuff is going to be found 100 yrs from now>?

100 years ago the world was in turmoil with the great war. Hopefully in 100 years humans will evolve the great peace.

At least when we die we will ultimately experience the great truth.

I imagine the universe is wet with life and most of it is probably aquatic. And Mega planets swelling with great oceans and lakes, so pregnant that life is practically bursting out of the great depths.