Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crow intelligence rivals that of a 7-year-old

UM-Bot

Researchers have discovered that some species of crow are remarkably adept at problem solving.

To determine just how clever these birds actually are, a series of experiments were carried out in which New Caledonian crows were tasked with solving a number of simple puzzles that rewarded them with some food if they got it right.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264359/crow-intelligence-rivals-that-of-a-7-year-old

• Like 2

Don't know if this is the same research, but it's been evidenced for years now that crows can figure out Archimedes principle.

• Like 3

I have grown quiet fond of crow over the years. I just ate some for dinner last night! Now that I think of it , I eat crow amost daily.

• Like 3

I have a lot of time for crows and ravens, and Australian magpies as well. They're all intelligent and social animals.

Incidentally this link includes video of the crows described in the OP: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/03/27/3972001.htm?topic=enviro

And this link is to a 2 minute clip showing cluey crows learning how to use traffic to break open nuts they can't crack themselves (and even more learning):

• Like 1

It's been known for years that crows are very intelligent animals.

Crows can distinguish humans and recognize their facial features.

Evidence also suggests that they are one of the few non-human animals capable of displacement (linguistics) (communicating about things that are happening in a different spatial or temporal location to the here and now).[20][21]

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ow#cite_note-18

And they can be taught to talk!

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 5

They are very intelligent. Be kind to crows, because if you aren't they will remember the slight for a very long time.

• Like 2

Yes, this is quite old news. Crows are even known to have funerals for fallen comrades. And many studies are now placing them as smart as primates.

Edited by Saitung
  • Like 4

There was a thread a while ago about crows (Or ravens maybe?) using fire...

And many studies are now placing them as smart as primates.

Or your average Yahoo comment's poster .

• Like 1

Now for my masterly plan.... train my crows to bring me bank notes for food .... Mwhahaha ha ha ha!

• Like 2

Crows. Are really smart most birds are also.

There is an African grey in England he is as smart as a third grader lol.

• Like 1

I have grown quiet fond of crow over the years. I just ate some for dinner last night! Now that I think of it , I eat crow amost daily.

crickets.gif

• Like 1

So the question we need to ask now is, which dinosaur is the crow descended from? lol

• Like 2

Now for my masterly plan.... train my crows to bring me bank notes for food .... Mwhahaha ha ha ha!

be carefull they bring you more then enough to keep the food coming once you start feeding them they get angry when they are not fed and can get a large group together with a caw for every dollar they bring you should spend two

• Like 2

Are these Crows compared to 7 year olds that watch the Disney channel?

• Like 1

Give the crow an ipad and see how far it gets. I could go on to make a derogatory remark about Apple products and it's users but...

• Like 1

Crow intelligence rivals that of a 7-year-old

In my experience here at U-M, I'd have to say that this underestimates the intelligence of crows since there are many adults here that crows can certainly outthink.

Harte

• Like 1

Whenever you see a one word answer here on UM, it is a crow posting.

• Like 1

i think it's 'cool' that they are finding out how similar brainage / thought / intelligence is in the animal kingdom.

Plants are next?

I have a lot of time for crows and ravens, and Australian magpies as well. They're all intelligent and social animals.

They grow ever more restless, waiting for the sight of blood on the battlefield.

These are very strong memories for these birds who many times

in the past, waited for a meal while the battle commenced.

Not saying they are evil or anything - animals see food and food alone.

Very clever birds for sure.

Crows are even known to have funerals for fallen comrades.

There was a thread a while ago about crows using fire...

For the more environmentally-sensitive crows, cremation has become the preferred means of internment.

Edited by simplybill

Have you seen the current condition of the American education system? Most types of fungus rival the intelligence of our 7 year olds...

• Like 1