Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange noises with nothing to find .

Lucky4some13

I've lived in my home since 2011 with my partner and our three children . We've been experiencing strange things for a few years now but recently things have been happening alot more frequently. 4 nights ago my partner and I were stood in the kitchen talking when we heard what sounded like ' glass popping /cracking' from directly behind him , We had a good look around but couldn't find anything! So we didn't really think much of it and continued with what we were doing .

The following night we heard exactly the same sound again ' glass popping / cracking ' went and checked and again found nothing.

Last night , We were sat in our living room watching television me and one sofa/coach my partner and dog on the one nearer the kitchen , When again a ' glass cracking ' sound was heard only this time alot LOUDER so LOUD we all jumped , The dog barked and all the hair on her back was stood on end . My partner and I both looked at each other then my partner went into the kitchen spent a good 10 minutes checking everything even the kitchen window. And again found nothing. Nothing had moved nothing was out of place ! No broken glass and nothing had fallen . Nothing what so ever .

My partner believes in paranormal but always tries to debunk and come up with a logical explanations but he is baffled to what it could be.

This has now made us think back to previous incidents which we had brushed aside . The first unexplained thing was when my partner was running me a bath late at night he came down when it was ready and i went straight up , Shortly after I noticed something was drawn on the bottom of the bathroom window . As i looked closer i realized it was a word using joined writing either saying 'we' or 'me' i knew it had just been done as the window was condensate d and the writing was clear . I Went downstairs and asked my partner what he had written but he looked at me confused he had no clue was I was talking about . We both went back up to look and he then scribbled on the window with his finger . 10 minutes later I had noticed that his scribble had faded due to more condensation but the writing was still perfectly clear . We later realized that to write where it was someone or something would have had to move various items on the window sill . We are both certain it was none of our family members playing jokes .

Which leads to the second incident . It was late at night all the kids were all asleep I was on the computer and my partner was watching tv not far from one another when from the other side of the living room we heard a loud crashing noise it sounded like the children's toy garage was dropped from a height onto the wooden flooring and had bounced and rattled about. We turned the main light on and looked but again there was nothing out of place the garage hadn't moved!

So we are still left scratching our heads as to what's going on and would love to know if anyone else had experienced anything like this? Would love to be able to debunk it all but at the moment it all a little strange . Any help or comments would be appreciated . Thanks .

Can you give us more details about the house itself, age, neighbours, structural materials and what kind of land it is on or surrounded by?

Thanks.

• Like 3

I live in a rural area . I don't know for sure but i think it was built 1950s . It's a terraced housed made of bricks . My neighbours are middle aged keep themselves to themselves never had any problems .

I'd say that as long as it's not scaring you and you're not getting any negative vibes, damage, bad effects from this presence then see if you can make contact. Could be interesting to see what happens. Try a medium if you don't want to get personally touched by what could be a "troubled spirit". Maybe it's a playful poltergeist?

It could be lots of things.

Do you have a basement? It could be the bricks or stones (depending on the construction) that are shifting/settling.

If it happened in the winter or when it was cold then I suspect there could be cracks in the foundation then water gets in, freezes and as a result the cracks get bigger.

The whole structure of the house could be going through daily shifting due to temperature, especially if it is brick. Could be that the house itself has cracks and some of the fissures are gradually getting bigger.

However..if anything in the house uses natural gas or propane then I would check to make sure there is no leaking or that any ignition devices aren't malfunctioning.

ALSO...check the electrical system, there may be a short someplace either in the wires or the fuse box.

• Like 3

Thanks for your replys . We don't have a basement solid concrete floor . House is well maintained and structurally sound. The only noises we usually get are from the stairs creaking due to expanding and contracting . It is a really distinctive sound of glass cracking or popping . Like we said it happened behind my partner literally feet away sounding like something had fallen into a glass but from height kinda mixed with and ice breaking sound there was nothing behind him but cupboards and nothing was moved or broken or cracked in any of them . I'm not scared more puzzled .

what do you mean by glass "popping" like cracking or someone stepping on broken glass?

more of a cracking rather than a crushing sound .umm it's really hard to describe as it doesn't sound like anything but the nearest i can think of is like in the movies when large cracks appear in shark tanks or whatever and they add that cracking/ popping sounds but it was so short and loud it was more like an air rifle pop . Or imagine walking on a frozen lake and the ice is cracking under you but with more of a high pitched twang. Bet that doesn't help much .

Edited by Lucky4some13

Where is your water heater located, how old is it and do the noises occur soon after hot water has been used?

Concerning the window writing; you say objects are sitting on the sill, shampoo bottles and other bathing items? How wide is the sill?

The crashing noise. without something being out of place is tougher. I don't know what to tell you there.

• Like 2

No doubt there's a ghost down there throwing things about and then carefully putting them back. He's just looking for a little harmless entertainment.

'

The water heater is modern it was put in just before we moved into the house in 2011 to replace the old out of date system . Never had any problems we hear the usual noises pipes creaking as the expand and contract i don't think it's anything to do with that as it was checked recently . Also the first time we heard the cracking it was the other end of the kitchen to the water heater .

Yes shampoo bottles etc . The sill is is roughly 12 inches deep and the bottles and others items were pushed up against the frame but not touching the glass. I forgot to say the letters on the window were a fair size over two panes of glass lower case w or m on one side and e on the other side but perfectly aligned as if they joined through the frame .

I appreciate your responses thank you .

For the most I'm inclined to agree with AZDZ about the pipes and water system. I've got a fridge making loud ice cracking noises too. What systems are behind the walls of the rooms where you've heard the crashing noises?

I don't understand the writing on the window being strange as sometimes it can leave marks from hours or days earlier.

How old are your children?

As for the huge crashing noise coming from the living room, it's hard to say what that was because I wasn't there. It could have been anything. It's all worth investigating, have a full check on your appliances and the foundations of the house, even looking for a paranormal answer will help.

NP, happy to try to provide answers.

Heated pipes can move far from the source. Especially if the water temp is high. Was the noise in a line from the WH to a bathroom or other spigot, garage laundry sink, perhaps?

An m or a w shape could easily be made by a few fingers contacting the glass as a bathing item is reached for. Add soapy fingers to the mix and why they don't fade like a fresh clean set of prints does, may be the answer.

Ok so a better way to describe the sound is a light bulb exploding and a pane of glass cracking but there was no shattering sound. the fridge isn't in my kitchen , as it's in my utility room . My partner is pretty clued up with d.i.y and knows whats what so we have ruled out pipes and any other things in the house appliances etc. He always has a answer , but this time he's stumped. Also he's very musically minded and can pick out any little sound and pin point where it's come from . The water heater is in the corner of the room by a window directly below the bathroom we were the other side of room but more central .

The writing was there as soon as i got into the bathroom before i had touched anything and my partner had only ran the taps and turned them off again , He hadn't touched anything in the window . My children are 4 ,6 and 9 but this happened really late at night and all of them are deep sleepers and were 'dead to the world' so it wouldn't have been them , Plus there doors rub on their door frames so we always here them open them . If it was from a few days previous it would have steamed up but this was clear and you could see runs of water running down the window from the letters and to be fair a w or a m is easily explained if anything had been touched but in the window next to it furthest from the bath was the e which isn't consistent which simply grabbing a bottle of shampoo from the window and fingers brushing the window.

The loud crash we heard when sat in the lounge on the computer there's nothing behind where we heard from apart from a window no electrics, radiators and plumbing of any kind. . It was so loud i thought it sounded like a massive object being thrown around and bouncing but my partner is convinced it sounded more a plastic toy as it sounded quite hollow like a plastic tub or toy garage but from a height as it sounded like whatever it was was bounced 2 or 3 times . It would be good to debunk these things that we're experiencing . I understand that without seeing it or should i say hearing it it's hard to understand properly and it's hard to describe too because it's so short and sharp before you know it's happening it's stopped .

I would love to know if other people have heard very loud noises without finding anything and I've researched and found nothing similar the claims always seem to be they hear a sound and find something out of place whether it's big , afew items or just a single item that wouldn't make the sound they heard .

Edited by Lucky4some13

Looking over the thread I see no one has yet suggested a critter infiltration so that's my last card.

Beyond that being ruled out I leave it in the hands of your partner to discover the causes.

Good luck. Please let us know if the reasons are uncovered.

Edited by AZDZ

We thank you for your help in trying to debunk this AZDZ due to our location we don't suffer with critters or pests only spiders and the occasional ant in summer lol. We keep snakes in our utility room but we can rule them out as all the glass in the vivs are ok and they make more of a thud than a crack when they strike the glass . So yeah I can't see it being a critter .

Well suggested though .

• 2 months later...

Hi I just want to comment that this exact thing just happened to me and my wife. We were talking in the kitchen when we heard this loud glass breaking sound (our house is a pretty quiet house, I never heard a sound like this before) we look around the kitchen even the windows all around thinking someone probably broke a Window with a rock or something but we didn't find anything. Like 2 hours later we where at the living room and again the same sound but louder my dog even when to the kitchen barking like some one was there. But nothing. We didn't use any hot water previous hours and we don't have an ice maker. Like I said our house is been allways very quiet. ( my English is not that good so my apologies if I made a mistake in the writing) thanks.

What kind of roofs do you have on and around your house?

...due to our location we don't suffer with critters or pests only spiders and the occasional ant in summer lol. ... So yeah I can't see it being a critter .

Well suggested though .

Can you be 100% sure?

perhaps to rule it out, leave a little food on the floor.

Can you be 100% sure?

perhaps to rule it out, leave a little food on the floor.

The thread opener joined 04 Apr 2014

The thread opener posted on 04 Apr 2014

Last activity of the thread opener 04 Apr 2014

Mayfly.

• Like 3

Once you've ruled out the obvious.. ice-makers.. mice in the dinnerware.. varmints in the attic.. windchimes.. house settling.. even noises from neighbors that may travel great distances in the night air.. you are left with the mysteries of the less obvious. You might try setting up some night motion cameras and doing some EVP work. If in fact it is a paranormal event the noises leads me to believe it wants attention and may want to communicate. Sooner than later is probably a better idea.

The home is old it could have lots of engery in it.take pics and do evps

Damn one post wonders, come back!

This story has me intrigued, i want answers!

Damn one post wonders, come back!

This story has me intrigued, i want answers!

Whatever was causing it has done away with the OP. So if you ever start hearing unexplained popping or crackling then it's time t ****!!