Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you conjure up a ghost with your mind ?

UM-Bot

In the 1970s a group of researchers conducted a unique experiment to create their own paranormal entity.

Known as the 'Philip Experiment', the endeavor involved parapsychological researchers from the Toronto Society for Psychical Research and aimed to determine if it was possible to manifest an entity using nothing more than the power of the mind.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-with-your-mind

• Like 2

I remember years ago when I first learned Reiki... part of the course was learning how to send healing.. for practice we were told to hold our hands about 20 centimetres apart in front of us and imagine a person forming between our hands.. focus on it.. create a "Thought Form" ... we were to concentrate until we saw the energy between our hands shift... swirl... and start to manifest.... then after a while we were told to let it disappear... I thought it was rather freaky at the time.. thinking that we were creating a non spirit entity ... as we were not calling spirit as part of the 'thought form'... I think it was to teach us how powerful intent can be... I never did understand at the time.. but we were also taught at another healing school .. ( Magnified healing) to imagine.. manifest spiritual potions to help use in our tools of healing... create a mental apothecary.. Then many years later.. I saw a movie on Golems.. those mythical religious beings from the Jewish religion that were manifested by man and could become evil... that to concerned me.. as the objects.. we manifested with our thoughts.. minds.. seemed to have substance... we could feel them.. just like we are aware of tingling sensations.. a puff of air.. heat.. cold.. usually they felt like soap bubbles.. foam.. cotton balls... We could during our healings run our hand a few inches or even much greater distances around our subjects who requested some healing and sense.. feel these anomalies in what we now refer to their auric selves... And we could really pick out where they hurt or had previous injuries... or weak spots that would cause problems later.... sometimes when we slowly hovered our hands over or around these people they could feel it.. either as heat.. cold.. a buzz.. or sharpened or a dulling of pain... often these people had their eyes shut so they had no idea were our hand were... or if we were some distance from them .. they had no idea where we were focusing with our minds.. whilst our hands where waving about feeling the energy... So... to cut a long story short... I have seen it done on a small scale and believe it can be done on a larger scale given the extended focus.. I am not happy with the idea of it.. I sense there is something not quite right in doing this... .. but that is just my gut instinct..

• Like 6

very cool. the human mind is a very powerful thing and this shows the creativity and abilities that are generally overlooked

• Like 1

Very interesting post crystal sage!

I believe that there are powers and abilities of our mind that we have yet to fully scientifically understand.

I think that with focus and practice, one can do amazing things with one's mental powers.

There have been times in my life that I have "sensed" an evil, ghost-like presence, but in retrospect, it was at times that I had seen some scary movies, and mostly when I was younger.

Which comes first, the scary movie or the ghost? For me, the scary movie, yet some might think that because of my awareness of the possibility of there being scary ghosts out there, it enabled me to actually sense their presence...

Now that I'm older, I realize that whatever I focus on, I'll experience.

If I were to feed certain thoughts into my brain about the presence of a ghost, and really deeply focus on it over a long period of time, I'm sure that some evidence would eventually manifest itself pointing to its existence, whether it be a noise heard elsewhere in the house, a shadow seen passing out of the corner of my eye, or even a feeling of it being actually present near me...

In my older years now I've found that such thoughts are not useful to helping me achieve my goals, of being happy, healthy, in love and at peace. I kind of laugh when I think of conjuring up a ghost and think, why even go there? :P

• Like 2

I remember reading about this many years ago it was a very interesting experiment.To me it makes a mockery of seances.Is the footage available anywhere?

• Like 3

I watched that video on youtube(just type in phillip's experiment should be 1st result) and i found it to very interesting. So interesting that i tried my own experiments. I figured that if they could "summon" up a thought form so could i. I don't believe i summoned a thought form but i did experience some rather unusual events. For example i believe i conjured up some poltergeist activity within my house. I practiced mostly at night since no one was around to disturb me, and the next morning i woke up to a loud "bang". Like someone punched my pillow where i was sleeping. And to my surprise i found a pair of socks right where i heard the bang. Which i know that i did not leave those socks there the night before. I tested what i heard by "throwing" them in the exact same spot where i found them and it made the exact same sound that i heard.

Another one of my experiences was i believe it is called "Automatic Writing". I was in a Lucid Dream and i heard someone say write this down and to my surprise when i woke up i found my hand writing on my pillow. Before i regained control of my hand i noticed that i was holding an "imaginary pen". The exact same way i would be holding a pen in real life and it was moving in the same motions as i would be writing. It's a shame i didn't actually have a pen and paper. I would of loved to know what my Subconscious mind was trying to tell me as that has never happened before or since.

• Like 1

Can I assume they had third-party monitoring and scientific controls on their "seances"?

Yeah, probably not. That would take all of the fun out of it.

• Like 3

Many such seances have been proven to be hoaxes. Harry Houdini as I recall spent a great deal of time debunking them and exposing the hoaxers after he sought to talk to his deceased mother and realized it was a fraud. In fact it became something of a crusade with him and he was well qualified to spot sleight of hand and other trickery.

But IF the events described are real, do not discount that the source might not be the human mind but rather be demonic in origin. Dealing in occult practices could open a door to spiritual forces.

• Like 1

Unfortunately,when it comes to seances there are charletons and this includes all mediums who cream cash out of the gullible.

Quite frankly these poor souls will accept anything as proof of contact with deceased loved ones and to take advantage of this, is criminal.

I am 99% sure this was confirmed a hoax. Not at home,but will research when I am off.

• Like 2

All the phenomenon in this story have been explained, debunked and replicated many times by people like James Randi and Derren Brown. Ideomotor action, wishful thinking and simple parlour trickery throughout.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=179035

Feel free to research further.

• Like 3

This can really happen as I have done it.

And I can eat coal and poop out diamonds. I have done it. ;)

• Like 4

I would never accept as reality anything done in one of those magic shows called séances.

Still, it is an interesting question -- whether one can talk to a spirit ("ghost" to me is something a little different). I figure being alone of course I am not subject to fraud although of course I'm an amateur and have to find my own way.

It works quite well. I can't actually talk to them, but I can feel their presence and feel their emotions. The problem is I can do the same thing with living people (who later report no memory of such an encounter) and even of fictions (such as Lady Macbeth -- very interesting. The automatic reaction of course is to conclude these phenomena are creations of my mind, but maybe there is some other way of looking at them.

• Like 1

In Buddism, This is refered to as Tulpa, Frank Im sure you have heard of it?

" It is defined in Indian Buddhist texts as any unreal, illusory or mind created apparition. According to Alexandra David-Néel, tulpas are "magic formations generated by a powerful concentration of thought." It is a materialized thought that has taken physical form and is usually regarded as synonymous to a thoughtform"

Today, we could even refer this to astral projection, that the non physical body as created via concentration in mediation, and allows your thoughtform to travel an astral plane or unmaterial universe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

Edited by The Id3al Experience
  • Like 4

I follow the practice here of trying to avoid pushing the Buddhist view of things, although of course no doubt I do a certain amount of it unintentionally; that is why I avoid Buddhist technical terms. Also, tulpa is not quite what I'm talking about as I have no pretension to have achieved that level. It is more a shade or shadow than a real being.

• Like 1

What about Golem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

In Jewish folklore, a golem is an animated anthropomorphic being, created entirely from inanimate matter.

By my opinion, the Jewish Golem, and the Tibetan Tulpas are the same thing.

And it is similar like elemental beings by some magicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislas_de_Guaita

• Like 1

Remember James Randi was a skilled magician who knew how to set a stage for effect.. or create.. or minimize effects... He always insisted on being fully informed of who was to perform , what skills they possessed and how they were going to demonstrate it... His fame was in debunking.. That was James Randi's performance... to prove everyone was a fake.. He had control of the stage.. had time to prepare... Clients had to sometimes wait for over a year to demonstrate their skills.. everything was at their own expense.. sometimes they couldn't afford to wait him out... Also.. have you heard of Faraday Cages.,.. that minimize or scramble psychic vibrations.. white noises.. sounds that register outside our spectrum to mess with receiving information...

• Like 2

Remember James Randi was a skilled magician who knew how to set a stage for effect.. or create.. or minimize effects... He always insisted on being fully informed of who was to perform , what skills they possessed and how they were going to demonstrate it... His fame was in debunking.. That was James Randi's performance... to prove everyone was a fake.. He had control of the stage.. had time to prepare... Clients had to sometimes wait for over a year to demonstrate their skills.. everything was at their own expense.. sometimes they couldn't afford to wait him out... Also.. have you heard of Faraday Cages.,.. that minimize or scramble psychic vibrations.. white noises.. sounds that register outside our spectrum to mess with receiving information...

huh?

I think you have it backwards.

• Like 2

IMHO, to see this work you have to believe in it. Just take a look at all of the claims of paranormal events on Ghost Hunters. 99% are debunked or don't happen during the investigations. The mind can make it believe anything it wants.

As I've written before, I've seen stuff I can't explain.I have only seen each event once. I would think if the paranorma was involved, I'd have repeat performances.

I believe because, I have seen something? Short story...I was 14 and lived with my father and step mother. They had told me they had a ghost, but I was a non-believer so I never considered it. One night I shut the door up stairs and started to get in bed, when the door began to open. My father walked into the dark room and signed to me, with a finger over his lips, to be quiet. He sat in the bed across the room from my bed. I said “Dad what’s going on?” in a whisper. He looked up at me and signed be quiet again. This went on for several minutes and I finally looked out of my window to see if the police were in the drive way. I sat back down on my bed and then he moved off the bed on the ground and slide under the bed. I then knew my alcoholic father was drunk and out of his mind. I never took my eyes off of his partial exposed arm and leg, and turned the light on. He literally vanished in an instant and was not there. I ran down stairs and told my father, who was still awake, that I just seen a ghost! He asked what did it look like, I said (YOU!) He said that’s it.

• Like 1

Cont....

I would not believe had this not happened to me. I still wonder if it could be a dream or hallucination. I can’t get over how it was my father. It was low light but enough to see the details of his face and hat. They never told me that it looked exactly like my Dad, until after I told them what I had seen. My children now see me at home, when I am at work.

• Like 2

So really, it's just the human mind believing in something so strongly, it really happens? Like, kinda how celestial influence works?

• Like 1

"Stein suggests that group experiences of the supernatural are either the result group projection or products of the fact that human energy — specifically ideas — are more tangible than we think.

"There is no reason to think that ideas travel any differently than, say, radio waves," he said. The same way radio waves can cross great distances, perhaps brain waves can pass through the air, creating physical, telekinetic changes in the environment and shared understanding. "There are so many examples of people around the world coming to the same conclusion at exactly the same time, it's possible that the mind is more powerful than we think."

I agree with Stein in this. I've watched societal patterns for years and marvelled at how ideas spread across the world. Of course, now with the internet, it's much harder to discern this but as a younger man I was fascinated with this subject. From converging technological developments to large social movements. The human is more than just his/her isolated thoughts. We affect one another in ways we don't understand yet.

• Like 3

You've obviously never seen him make a completely chump out of the Uri Geller on the Tonight Show.

• Like 3