Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jeb Bush on 2016 decision

questionmark

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush said Sunday that he will base his decision on whether to run for president in 2016 on whether he thinks he can mount a campaign that would transcend the modern-day mechanics of such a run.

Bush, the second-oldest son of former president George H. W. Bush and younger brother of George W. Bush, spoke at an event marking the 25th anniversary of his father's presidency at the library and museum that bears the patriarch's name. The event was closed to reporters, but moderated by

Fox News anchor Shannon Bream and portions of the event were later broadcast on the Fox News Channel.

In a rambling answer that suggested he has given serious thought to the prospects of running for a job once held by his father and brother, Bush said he would decide whether to run for president by the end of this year. He appeared to bemoan the thought of having to spend time attending political cattle calls in early-primary states, suggesting that some candidates might devote too much time to questions such as, "How am I going to get to win the Muscatine Pork Roast straw poll, or something like that."

Read more

He needs to stay where ever he is right now - he'd be wasting his time and a lot of other people's money.

His major concern should be his health first. Those coattails from his younger brother are just as dangerous as banana peels.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 2

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush discussing immigration reform on Fox News this Sunday:

"I'm going to say this and it will be on tape, and so be it. The way I look at this is someone who comes to our country because they couldn't come legally, they come to our country because their family's dad who loves their children was worried that their children didn't have food on the table, and they wanted to make sure their family was intact. And they crossed the border because they had no other means to work to be able to provide for their family. Yes, they broke the law, but it's not a felony. it's kind of -- it's a -- it's an act of love. It's an act of commitment to your family. I honestly think that's a different kind of crime that should be, there should be a price paid, but it shouldn't be -- it shouldn't rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families. And the idea that we're not going to fix this but with with comprehensive reform ends up trapping these people, when they could make a great contribution for their own their families but also for us.

So I think we need to get beyond the harsh political rhetoric to a better place. The great number of people who come to this country come because they have no opportunities in other places. They may love their country, but they come here because they want to provide for their families. And they can make a contribution to our country if we actually organized ourselves in a better way."

• Like 1

Did he just say anything?

Did he just say anything?

Oh yes - he's saying that if you want him for president then you need to get over the idea of restricting immigration - or doing anything substantive about illegal crossing of our borders by Mexicans. I believe that he is genuine in his sentiments and I even admire him for it but that stance makes him unelectable.
  • Like 2

The same SOB's trying to push this guy are also the ones who threaten to fund against Rand Paul.

• Like 1

In other news, Donald Trump continues to play with the idea of running (on his own, specific terms) for the governorship of New York State, and Wiley Coyote is on tap for consideration as Attorney General.

Who will save us from these hackneyed, unoriginal buffoons who think they have the chops to govern?

A pox on all their houses. . .

Oh yes - he's saying that if you want him for president then you need to get over the idea of restricting immigration - or doing anything substantive about illegal crossing of our borders by Mexicans. I believe that he is genuine in his sentiments and I even admire him for it but that stance makes him unelectable.

Thanks and then, i thought that might have been what he was saying. ..personally , i doubt the sincerity of his "sentiments" or that he has any admirable qualities . .. call me judgmental :)

• Like 2

Obama gave Bush the bipartisan pass he might have otherwise been in need of. And it's all clear now for Jeb. Sky's the limit.

These illustrious leaders of ours (that we either root for one of or the other) are BFFs behind closed doors. They probably joke with each other: "Man do we fool the %*$ out of people or what?!"

• Like 1

Not necessarily unelectable, but probably unnominateable.

Thanks and then, i thought that might have been what he was saying. ..personally , i doubt the sincerity of his "sentiments" or that he has any admirable qualities . .. call me judgmental :)

Then you would be wrong on both counts.

Jeb's the best of all the Bushes. He would have been prez instead of his brother, but he lost the election for Fla. Governor.

He later won that office and served very admirably.

His wife is Mexican. His children are the "little brown ones" that George H.W. Bush famously referred to.

Jeb would make an excellent president. Too bad he won't be nominated. Same for Rubio. All because of immigration demagoguery.

Harte

• Like 3

Jeb doing a better job he might but don't think Daddy Bush wont sit still for it ~ even if he would his buddies would have a thing or two to meddle about it ~ those back scratches leaves a mark and favors are in need of returning ~

~

Not necessarily unelectable, but probably unnominateable.

Then you would be wrong on both counts.

Jeb's the best of all the Bushes. He would have been prez instead of his brother, but he lost the election for Fla. Governor.

He later won that office and served very admirably.

His wife is Mexican. His children are the "little brown ones" that George H.W. Bush famously referred to.

Jeb would make an excellent president. Too bad he won't be nominated. Same for Rubio. All because of immigration demagoguery.

Harte

Harte, I beg to differ with you.

"Admirably" is debatable (my son and his family live in Florida). I think it's a stretch of imagination to say, "Jeb would make an excellent president (emphasis mine). He, like his brother W., was a governor with decidedly mixed results.

They were both effective in enforcing capital punishment, however, even with a tasteless patina of 'Christian' fundamentalism added.

To say "Jeb's the best of the Bushes" is akin to saying, "Jethro is the best of the Beverly Hillbillies."

A pox on all their houses--Clinton, Bush, Romney, etc. The US does not need family dynasties.

• Like 2

Harte, I beg to differ with you.

"Admirably" is debatable (my son and his family live in Florida). I think it's a stretch of imagination to say, "Jeb would make an excellent president (emphasis mine). He, like his brother W., was a governor with decidedly mixed results.

They were both effective in enforcing capital punishment, however, even with a tasteless patina of 'Christian' fundamentalism added.

I disagree, and I was living in Florida at the time too.

Bush modernized Florida government. He also revolutionized education in Florida.

Bush is a Republican. You expected him, as governor, to reduce capital punishment? That's a laugh.

So, when do you expect Obama to cut Federal Income taxes for the rich?

The Washingtom Policy Center said:

While many two-term governors leave office with slumping favorability ratings, Governor Bush enjoys favorability ratings of 63 percent among Floridians. Governor Bush proposed and signed into law meaningful education, spending and taxation, health care, and environment policies that have set a transformative course for the state.

near the end of Bush's term of office. (source)

Note the approval rating, and keep in mind that Florida is majority Democrat (then and now) with regard to voter registration. Read the pdf and tell me what's so objectionable.

So, what does everyone (or just you) find unacceptable about Bush? The Name?

Harte

• Like 1

One more step toward elitist governance...aka...the modern Monarchy. Why not just embrace Feudalism and we all become property of your local fiefdom.

Jeb Bush doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. Too many people remember his brother...too many people remember the "new world order" speech of Daddy Bush and people are terrified of it. The Clintoons are no different in that respect...we established a system to avoid concentrating power within a particular family...we need to remember what can happen when that system is ignored...despots, tyrants and monarchs...bad idea. Each new family member in charge makes it easier for his next family member to assume control...

No Bush...No Clinton...

The clever folks out there should look at one simple motion in the next upcoming election...remove all incumbents and elect no one that has held a high office before...they are already tainted with corruption.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

I disagree, and I was living in Florida at the time too.

Bush modernized Florida government. He also revolutionized education in Florida.

Bush is a Republican. You expected him, as governor, to reduce capital punishment? That's a laugh.

So, when do you expect Obama to cut Federal Income taxes for the rich?

The Washingtom Policy Center said:

near the end of Bush's term of office. (source)

Note the approval rating, and keep in mind that Florida is majority Democrat (then and now) with regard to voter registration. Read the pdf and tell me what's so objectionable.

So, what does everyone (or just you) find unacceptable about Bush? The Name?

Harte

My grandchildren continue to be in Florida public schools. Their parents continue to report a dysfunctional and substandard system.

What concerned me about Jeb's gung-ho support of capital punishment was the patina of Christianity he placed upon it--hypocritical at best.

As a metaphor yes--I am against the House of Bush, House of Clinton, House of Romney, House of Kennedy, House of Frankenstein--America needs no royalty names in play. All Bushes are linked to the Nazi-collaborator Prescott Bush's ill-gotten gains, and currently to a way of governing that is elitist and over-moneyed.

I must admit that Jeb's view on immigration is rational and even--dare I say it?--compassionate.