Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus really crucified in a 'T' shape ?

UM-Bot

A new study has suggested that the traditional depiction of Jesus on the cross could be wrong.

Scientists in Liverpool have based their findings on the controversial Turin Shroud, the ancient burial cloth of Jesus himself that is said to bear his image.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264764/was-jesus-really-crucified-in-a-t-shape

He is in a Y shape on the picture shown....

• Like 2

This is interesting, but it's old news. Researchers for decades have theorized that the 'tau' ("T") cross was most likely the form of the cross of Jesus' crucifixion. This is based on factors as disparate as the physiology and movement of a person affixed to a cross, as well as the relative lack of wood in Palestine at the time. The top of the classic ("Latin") cross would have been wasted wood in an environment where it was a scarce commodity.

These kinds of articles show up every year as Holy Week and Easter approach.

• Like 2

The Romans did not invent crucifixion as a method of execution, though it seems that they perfected it. On the basis of the writings of the Greek author Herodotus, it seems that the Persians were the first to use crucifixion (Herodotus1:128.2; 3:125.3; 3:132.2; 3:159.1). For example, Herodotus tells us that King Darius (mentioned in the Bible) had 3000 Babylonians crucified in about 519 B.C. (4:43.2,7; 6:30.1; 7:194.1). The sources reveal that, two centuries later, Alexander the Great also used crucifixion in his conquests. For example in his History of Alexander, Curtius Rufus tells us that Alexander had 2000 citizens of Tyre crucified after he had conquered that city (4:4.17). The Romans eventually conquered the Greeks (Carthaginians) and it was from them that the Romans probably learned crucifixion. However, as the Romans themselves were fond of noting, crucifixion was also used by many "barbarian" peoples, such as Indians, the Assyrians, the Scythians, and the Celts. It was also later used by the Germans and the Britains (For the exact sources, see Martin Hengel, Crucifixion, trans. John Bowden (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1977), 22-23).

http://www.orlutheran.com/html/crucify.html

So basically, like Saturnalia,

the christians have changed the goalpost to suit them...in other words.....it had NOTHING to do with jesus and for respect to all those who died horribly before him on the cross....I think its best to keep it that way.

• Like 4

I have often wondered if it was really Jesus that they crucified... could maybe Judas have been swapped.. bribes were common in those days.. http://can-you-answe...s.asp?artno=100

Well if it wasn't Jesus on the cross, he would have had to have nails put through his hands and feet so Thomas could be the "Doubting Thomas". Just saying.
  • Like 1

Well if it wasn't Jesus on the cross, he would have had to have nails put through his hands and feet so Thomas could be the "Doubting Thomas". Just saying.

I have seen people going farther than that for fraud.

Naaaaaaa, Jesus was in a pentagon shape, when he was crucified

What might be your source for this?

He is in a Y shape on the picture shown....

As I understand it, the article is refering to an Y shaped cross and not a T, so that Jesus would have had his arms right above his head, in the Y position.

This is interesting, but it's old news. Researchers for decades have theorized that the 'tau' ("T") cross was most likely the form of the cross of Jesus' crucifixion. This is based on factors as disparate as the physiology and movement of a person affixed to a cross, as well as the relative lack of wood in Palestine at the time. The top of the classic ("Latin") cross would have been wasted wood in an environment where it was a scarce commodity.

These kinds of articles show up every year as Holy Week and Easter approach.

It is also interesting to know that the cross symbol actually originate from paganism, and not christianism. The cross symbol can be traced as far back as 2000 B.C in Babylon, Egypt.

See: http://thesimpleansw...cross-is-pagan/ and http://www.examiner....hristian-symbol

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

I have heard that at various points in history crosses were built in quite a few different ways. The shape or style of the torture device used matters not: for the moral of the story was as true then as it is to this very day. If you think everyone should ditch their way of thinking and conform to yours, whether your way is better or not, the majority of the everyone that you think needs to change will be more than happy to murder you in order to feel comfortable about continuing to live in their heathenistic lifestyles without having to hear you try and guilt trip them all of the time... -Sad but true...

• Like 1

This possible I suppose. The Romans had a lot of different methods of torture. When I look at a crucifixion though, I see Jesus hanging in the shape of a Y on the cross. I wonder what prompted this discussion?

• Like 3

The UM Bot brought it up ~

Whether it was in the shape of a "T" or "Y", it doesn't change the reason or the significance behind why He was crucified in the first place.

• Like 4

I don't think you can use the Turin Shroud as evidence of anything except perhaps fraud

• Like 3

Different peoples used different designs for their crosses. Romans the t, glade the impeller used a single stake, the Japanese used the Y.

I have heard that at various points in history crosses were built in quite a few different ways. The shape or style of the torture device used matters not: for the moral of the story was as true then as it is to this very day. If you think everyone should ditch their way of thinking and conform to yours, whether your way is better or not, the majority of the everyone that you think needs to change will be more than happy to murder you in order to feel comfortable about continuing to live in their heathenistic lifestyles without having to hear you try and guilt trip them all of the time... -Sad but true...

Well, I don't think that Jesus tried to "guilt trip" anyone. Actions are always louder than words anyway. :)

• Like 1

Just Google "Shroud of Turin duplicated".

Case closed....

Just think how much more economical it would have been to just put the head of the executed on a pike instead.

• Like 1

the romans did that too. The cross is meant too scare as it is to Touter.

the romans did that too. The cross is meant too scare as it is to Touter.

Indeed...

I prefer being crucified in the "double helix" formation.

• Like 1

I prefer being crucified in the "double helix" formation.

Preferably with a friend ?

>>> been a long time AA ... :D <<<<

• Like 1

What are the physiological differences being crucified on different cross shapes? As long as your arms and legs were in the standard configuration, wouldn't you slump down the same way on a cross, T, or Y?

• Like 1

True except for blade's method in which they impelled you missing all the organs.

Preferably with a friend ?

>>> been a long time AA ... :D <<<<

If you're up for it brother.
  • Like 1