Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus really crucified in a 'T' shape ?

UM-Bot

Another issue is that I saw an interview with a distinguished congressman from Texas who sits on the House committee for science who when questioned about climate change brought up Noah's flood as an example of past climate change. And this guy is on the science committee. This is incomprehensible to me. Such willful ignorance is intolerable and must change. The US is becoming a laughing stock

• Like 4

The difference between being Religious and Mentally ill is that a mentally ill person can't function in society for long.

It you mean to point out that religious people have slightly different chemistry. I'd agree with that. But it is also true that your brain/body chemistry alters with your actions and beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are.

I'd not argue against the fact that humans are basically primed from birth to be religious. And that those who are non-religious simply are aware of that and dismiss it consciously.

I would argue against the statement that religion is useless. I'd argue against dismissing traditions that pass on our societies morals and ethics.

One can believe that Revelation is logical, and hold a job dealing with microcomponents.

The brain chemistry that when I dream a four eyed cat talking to me there is no cause for alarm.While this same brain chemistry exists in lower levels that makes a waking state belief of a creator of the universe sending himself as a sacrifice makes sense to some.

We evolved to be social structured animals, and morals are a part of it way before your Mosaic/Jeebus hocus pocus.

Somebody asked about a judgmental deity? How is it possible for a well-meaning person to believe a book with passages like that in it?

Most people are fed from the pulpit.Then there are those that believe the creator can say & do what ever it wants.

Most people are fed from the pulpit.Then there are those that believe the creator can say & do what ever it wants.

I've actually done an experiment several times that goes as follows.

1. Go to church. Listen to Message. (The Message is the preaching part.)

2. Go home, wait 1 or 2 days.

3. Email/facebook/call/talk to a person who was there also. Ask them the SUBJECT of the last Message.

Non-Scientific Result: More then 50% don't remember. Almost none of them remember any of the specifics of the Message. Most Christians, IMHO, get their religion from the Bible.

We evolved to be social structured animals, and morals are a part of it way before your Mosaic/Jeebus hocus pocus.

And Christianity (In the US) is the current and primary means of passing on that social structure.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Somebody asked about a judgmental deity? How is it possible for a well-meaning person to believe a book with passages like that in it?

Soddom and Gamorah were physically destroyed. And all the people killed. I'd be more concerned with a Judgemental Deity that was currently killing entire towns in the real world.

This is the same issue with the Final Judgement. If a person is a Christian, then they are supposed to learn from the words of the Bible and not act like the people who are mentioned. If a person is not a Christian, then I don't know what the problem is? Why be upset about a mythical Judgement? Especially one that is supposed to be 2000+ years in the future. I don't stay up at night worrying about the Norse Ragnarok and how I'm not going to get into Valhalla.

Another issue is that I saw an interview with a distinguished congressman from Texas who sits on the House committee for science who when questioned about climate change brought up Noah's flood as an example of past climate change. And this guy is on the science committee. This is incomprehensible to me. Such willful ignorance is intolerable and must change. The US is becoming a laughing stock

I remember seeing that and being saddened. I reminded me of reading about the things Muslim Clerics say now and again.

Was he really crucified? I just don't know anymore.

And Christianity (In the US) is the current and primary means of passing on that social structure.

It's just passing along myth as if it was reality.

The Holy Spirit is self delusion.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265319&st=45#entry5143560

Was he really crucified? I just don't know anymore.

Here is a podcast to listen to if interested?

I've actually done an experiment several times that goes as follows.

1. Go to church. Listen to Message. (The Message is the preaching part.)

2. Go home, wait 1 or 2 days.

3. Email/facebook/call/talk to a person who was there also. Ask them the SUBJECT of the last Message.

Non-Scientific Result: More then 50% don't remember. Almost none of them remember any of the specifics of the Message. Most Christians, IMHO, get their religion from the Bible.

Atheists are immoral, and miserable?

How to remain Christian.

Check this mindlock out.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's important what shape the tool of crucifixion was. Of course nowadays because of Christian influence all such executions are depicted on a cross, but it does seem to me a straight upright pole was more likely.

One wonders where the symbol of the cross came from; I know the Egyptians had lots of crosses in their iconology.

Check this mindlock out.

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The guy quotes the bible as literal truth to support the notion that climate change is nothing to worry about and in the next breath talks about conditions in the age of the dinosaurs and sees no logical contradiction. Religious freedom is fine but we can't rule ourselves by fundamentalism or disaster will be the result. I don't know what distresses me more, that people like this are setting our policies or that the majority of Americans seem to have no problem with it
  • Like 2

I'm not sure it's important what shape the tool of crucifixion was. Of course nowadays because of Christian influence all such executions are depicted on a cross, but it does seem to me a straight upright pole was more likely.

One wonders where the symbol of the cross came from; I know the Egyptians had lots of crosses in their iconology.

I don't think the cross became the symbol for Christianity until after it became the official religion of the Roman empire. I would look there for it's roots

I think it may be that to be elected to Congress as a Republican you are required to be scientifically illiterate, while the Democrats instead mandate economic illiteracy.

• Like 1

I think it may be that to be elected to Congress as a Republican you are required to be scientifically illiterate, while the Democrats instead mandate economic illiteracy.

You may have a point but I would dispute that republicans are any more economically literate as supply side economics doesn't work as without demand supply is worthless
  • Like 1

Well at least they don't think you can alter human behavior and economic responses by passing laws.

Well at least they don't think you can alter human behavior and economic responses by passing laws.

I'm not so sure about that
  • Like 1

Have you even looked at my profile, and signature pic?

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The guy quotes the bible as literal truth to support the notion that climate change is nothing to worry about and in the next breath talks about conditions in the age of the dinosaurs and sees no logical contradiction. Religious freedom is fine but we can't rule ourselves by fundamentalism or disaster will be the result. I don't know what distresses me more, that people like this are setting our policies or that the majority of Americans seem to have no problem with it

How about people that defend slavery in the Bible as "context" of the time?

Atheists are immoral, and miserable?

Interesting. Miserable? How could an Atheist be miserable? They do what they want within the law, so they should actually be happier then Christians.

Immoral? Yes, possibly they are more immoral.

Your ethnic atheist lady is only handing out one side of the story, which is always dangerous.

How to remain Christian.

Huh? I already practice those. Anyone that reads this entire thread will see that about me.

I don't think the cross became the symbol for Christianity until after it became the official religion of the Roman empire. I would look there for it's roots

However, the cross symbol was already associated with Christians in the 2nd century, as is indicated in the anti-Christian arguments cited in the Octavius[7] of Minucius Felix, chapters IX and XXIX, written at the end of that century or the beginning of the next,[8] and by the fact that by the early 3rd century the cross had become so closely associated with Christ that Clement of Alexandria, who died between 211 and 216, could without fear of ambiguity use the phrase τo κυριακoν σημεiον (the Lord's sign) to mean the cross, when he repeated the idea, current as early as the apocryphal Epistle of Barnabas, that the number 318 (in Greek numerals, ΤΙΗ) in Genesis 14:14 was interpreted as a foreshadowing (a "type") of the cross (T, an upright with crossbar, standing for 300) and of Jesus (ΙΗ, the first two letter of his name ΙΗΣΟΥΣ, standing for 18),[9] and his contemporary Tertullian could designate the body of Christian believers as crucis religiosi, i.e. "devotees of the Cross".[10] In his book De Corona, written in 204, Tertullian tells how it was already a tradition for Christians to trace repeatedly on their foreheads the sign of the cross.[11] It is important to note that the crucifix, that is a cross upon which an image of Christ is present, is not known to have been used until the 6th century AD.[12]

http://en.wikipedia....Christian_cross

Christianity became a majority religion in the course of the 4th century, and eventually replaced the imperial cult as state religion in 391, initiating the gradual decline of Greco-Roman paganism over the course of the following century.

http://en.wikipedia....in_ancient_Rome

Christians using Cross < 200 AD.

Romans adopt Christianity = 391 AD = Approximately 200 years later.

Edited by DieChecker

http://en.wikipedia....Christian_cross

http://en.wikipedia....in_ancient_Rome

Christians using Cross < 200 AD.

Romans adopt Christianity = 391 AD = Approximately 200 years later.

I'm not sure that is exactly accurate but I don't have anything to show differently at hand. The way I understand is that even in the time of Constantine the cross wasn't in use, at least widely by Christians as a symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Rho_(Labarum)

Edited by spacecowboy342
  • Like 1

Interesting. Miserable? How could an Atheist be miserable? They do what they want within the law, so they should actually be happier then Christians.

Immoral? Yes, possibly they are more immoral.

Your ethnic atheist lady is only handing out one side of the story, which is always dangerous.

Huh? I already practice those. Anyone that reads this entire thread will see that about me.

LOL!

You animal...

I've heard this theory a long time ago in church, I was under the impression it wasn't even a cross, but a straight pole. The nails didn't go through his hands either, they went through his wrists.