Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lioness spares baby baboon

seeder

Incredible moment lioness spares baby baboon after killing his mother and gently NUZZLES it... before the tiny creature is plucked to safety by his brave father

A Connecticut photographer has captured a thrilling encounter between a baby baboon and a 350lb lioness in a game park in Botswana. The incredible pictures show the moment the baboon's mother is killed, leaving the baby face-to-face with the roaring predator.

But instead of swallowing the tiny creature, a tender moment ensues where the baby baboon attempts to suckle the lioness and the big cat gently plays along. However, in the fascinating display caught on camera, the little one is finally plucked to safety by his brave father.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2598320/Incredible-moment-baby-baboon-suckles-350lbs-lioness-mother-killed-minute-plucked-fierce-creature-brave-father-lifted-safety-lions-jaw.html#ixzz2yCpf9jI9

• Like 3

This has happened many times before, the most popular one was when a lioness adopted an antelope....

Goes to show how weird our world is becoming, even in the animal kindom

• Like 1

Sentience and understanding the difference between eligible prey and a newborn shouldn't be that strange. Adults are the risk-takers of animal kingdom, babies the ones everybody tries to spare, because they're valuable both emotionally and to survival. It's a rule between the lines in nature that the species keep developing themselves to be more optimal for the given circumstances, plants evolving poisonous enzymes to repel pests and competitors (like the nut trees and chilis), but it's long-since established that parents nurture their children. The concept of adoption is just a natural consequence of these two. We humans adopt animal companions all the time, and often enough they adopt us in return (like my rats who used to come greet me at the door when I came home from work).

Such a nice story. I am not sure 100% but lately, news about animals do make me happy, make me smile, some do touch me deeply as this one has. But mostly, all them news about animals do awake nice emotions, makes me wonna hug them lions, bears... ( however stupid it might sound :D ) With time, animals show us that they are indeed inteligent, do care for other species...

From news about caring, God loving, inteligent humans... I mostly get mad, angry at the world.

• Like 2

Sad thing is the baby may die a slow death from starvation without it's mother. I admit I know nothing about Baboons and whether they adopt orphaned ones, I know some animals do. Maybe somebody could clarify that.

• Like 1

Baboons lives in a very tight social group ~ and adoptions are not uncommon ~ usually sisters / aunts ~ depends on the conditions (food - water) and stress level of the group I guess ~ if the 'father' took such risks chances are the group dynamics is healthy and bond is strong ~

Actually signs of predators 'adopting' the young of killed prey is not that unusual ~ it is just that normally there are no cameras around to document it ...

• Google page of similar behavior seen in leopards link

@Sir Smokes ~

Here are some of my many favorite animal feel good stories ~ Google links

:)

• Like 4

Baboons lives in a very tight social group ~ and adoptions are not uncommon ~ usually sisters / aunts ~ depends on the conditions (food - water) and stress level of the group I guess ~ if the 'father' took such risks chances are the group dynamics is healthy and bond is strong ~

Actually signs of predators 'adopting' the young of killed prey is not that unusual ~ it is just that normally there are no cameras around to document it ...

• Google page of similar behavior seen in leopards link

@Sir Smokes ~

Here are some of my many favorite animal feel good stories ~ Google links

:)

Lovely way to start a day :) Thanks m8

• Like 2

That was an awesome story. Heart touching and emotional.