Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of the 100-million-year old hammer

UM-Bot

A mysterious hammer was discovered in Texas in 1934 embedded inside a rock several million years old.

The peculiar object is an example of an out of place artifact (oopart), a term that is generally applied to the discovery of a modern object that seems to have originated from a time period that pre-dates its invention.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...year-old-hammer

• Like 1

I've always been interested in ooparts, though I do think that the vast majority have rather mundane explanations, or are fakes...

• Like 4

I once got really 'in to' OOPARTS when I first read about them, many moons ago! But Ive learned lots more stuff since then!!

Check this page, scroll down to 'Analysis'

http://paleo.cc/paluxy/hammer.htm

Edited by seeder
  • Like 8

Where's Thor to prove he's right?

• Like 1

Thanks for the link seeder which shows the hammer. I believe this is the same hammer I have also heard referred to as the Llano hammer.

I'm curious why this is in the news again since there does not appear to be anything new about the object.

• Like 1

The Only Real Question here is: Where is the Photo of that Hammer !

It is like a report that a UFO has landed without showing it.

Gee !

Where's Thor to prove he's right?

Thor is currently on holiday. That aside your Alien Gray avatar/icon needs to urgently see an eye-doctor.

His/Her eye is seriously swollen, perhaps some Earthly virus inflamed it ? ? ?

The Only Real Question here is: Where is the Photo of that Hammer !

It is like a report that a UFO has landed without showing it.

Gee !

An image was in my link!!!!!

hamm0606m.jpg

• Like 2

I love this quote "It was a chunk of rock found resting on a ledge, perhaps having tumbled there from within a larger formation." That pretty much says it all. A chunk or rock sitting on a ledge....hmmm, how could it have gotten there?...on a ledge....The chunk means it was not in the original bedrock, but rather a separate peice. This reaks of hoax. perhaps it was a peice that was altered and placed there???

And don't get me started on the "coal" handle.....okay, now you've got me into it. Supposedly only part of the handle has turned to coal. What? How can part of the handle turn to coal and not all of it? Do they even know how coal is formed? Very suspicious.

Not to mention that it's awfully coinceidental that there was a large clam shell fossil attached to it.

• Like 2

The mystery is why it's there, not that it's a 100-million year old hammer, because it's not that. That's absurd.

• Like 1

The mystery is why it's there, not that it's a 100-million year old hammer, because it's not that. That's absurd.

yep! 100 million years is just a tad before man arrived. :lol:

• Like 1

When are people gonna understand that Anything from Texas Is Bigger,Older, better ? ITs just the way it is peeps !Now on to the real deal ! Tee-Bone Steaks the size of N.Y grilled like you like -em !

• Like 1

This is the hammer Noah used to build the Ark with :yes:

• Like 2

This is the hammer Noah used to build the Ark with :yes:

That's a few years before the flood, maybe his grandfather's hammer? :unsure2:

Turn-of-the-century Texans had many claims of "discoveries". Between 1880 and 1940 we had sightings of UFOs, buried ancient walls, Viking burial mounds and other things turn up. Most are agreed by the locals to have been publicity stunts.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

An image was in my link!!!!!

hamm0606m.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I only read the article, and with the confusions of links etc. did not see any links in that. That said, I would say the rock looks too neatly chiseled

out - to fit the hammer. So my guess is that it is a fraud.

• Like 1

There are other OOPARTS that are even more amazing than the hammer, just type in ooparts on google. I look at all these artifacts and can't help but think that we've not been told everthing.

• Like 1

There are other OOPARTS that are even more amazing than the hammer, just type in ooparts on google. I look at all these artifacts and can't help but think that we've not been told everthing.

I think this statement in Wikipedia states it best "The term is used to describe a wide variety of objects, from anomalies studied by mainstream science and pseudoarchaeology far outside the mainstream to objects that have been shown to be hoaxes or to have mundane explanations."

• Like 3

Too bad none of those out of place artifacts have ever turned out to be actual out of place artifacts.

• Like 5

ever notice how everything that is interesting is also controversial?

can't get a straight answer to anything. very frustrating. It's like, why read? whatever you find that is interesting,

already has twenty authorities saying "FAKE"!!

• Like 1

can't get a straight answer to anything. very frustrating. It's like, why read? whatever you find that is interesting,

Forget reading, just let common sense and awareness of mankind's development be your judge

If there was nothing to discuss would it be interesting?

The hammer is clearly not what it is being claimed to be. There is also the spark plug in a rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coso_artifact

It's a 1920s spark plug that is encase in a similar way to the hammer. The spark plug was found in 1961. So only 40 years to cover a spark plug.

Is it a hammer that was partially encased in a concretion? Yes.

Is it over a hundred years old? No.

My experience is that creationists are not and will not be truthful because it conflicts with their unalterable belief the bible is correct.

Let us assume that the hammer is 'only' 700 years old. Seven hundred years ago there were no Europeans or Asians in Texas. The native Indians did not work in iron so this tool is really an out of place artifact. The idea that it might be as old as a seam of coal is ludicrous. The best explanation, if the 700 year old hypothesis is correct, is that the hammer came to the London,Texas location via trading among the Indians. It was manufactured in Europe or Asia and somehow found it's way to the new world via a rare and unrecorded maritime contact, perhaps a shipwreck, or from a single wandering European who, over time, found himself in the Americas.

Decide for yourself, here is a great site to check out: http://www.discovery...ts/OOPARTS.html real or not, the possibility of these being genuine is staggering, and of course everything posted on Wikipedia is 100% accurate and factual since anyone and everyone with an opinion can be a contributor. I am not a Christian and I am not pushing their (websites creators) agenda (especially the Dino ****), the articles surrounding these items are fascinating to read, (until they get preachy).

Edited by ancient astronaut

hmm

ok, two hundred million years?

i doubt it.

i'm more inclined to believe the other report of it being around 700 years old instead.

Edited by JGirl