Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seeder

WARNING! Public urged to reset ALL passwords

10 posts in this topic

Heartbleed Bug: Public urged to reset all passwords

Several tech firms are urging people to change all their passwords after the discovery of a major security flaw.

The Yahoo blogging platform Tumblr has advised the public to "change your passwords everywhere - especially your high-security services like email, file storage and banking".

Security advisers have given similar warnings about the Heartbleed Bug.

It follows news that a product used to safeguard data could be compromised to allow eavesdropping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26954540

Glad I don't bank online.

1 person likes this

Glad I don't bank online.

I bank online, but on top of the numerical and name password fields, I have a code generator/pin sentry gadget, where I put my card in, enter my pin, and get two random codes that I HAVE to enter on line to get into my account. I think thats pretty safe

barclays-pinsentry.gif

Ugh.

Gosh, that sounds complicated. And they say that it's so much easier to shop Online.

Yeah, like anybody's data was ever safe in the past when it was exposed to the internet. LOL

Having worked as an ethical hacker both for the government and private firms in the past, I am in a position to say this: Every security system/protocol is breakable. Security systems are meant to delay the breaking-in process and not to prevent it. In other words, they just minimize the risks.

How can people expect OpenSSL to be any different?

People need to worry more about how their governments are harvesting their private data and using it against them rather than about some Chinese kids snooping on their private messages or using their private information for marketing and spams.

Most online banking systems already have transaction cancellation feature that is enabled for a specific period of time once the transaction is done. Linked with your cell number, it shouldn't be a problem.

Still the golden rule: Change your password at least once in two weeks. And check the balance in your online banking accounts at least once in three days.

As for your emails, instant messages, chats, voice chats, and any other private information that has ever been exposed to the internet or to the networks that are exposed to the internet... haha! forget about securing those. They are already being harvested since many years.

1 person likes this

As for your emails, instant messages, chats, voice chats, and any other private information that has ever been exposed to the internet or to the networks that are exposed to the internet... haha! forget about securing those. They are already being harvested since many years.

Sooo true....

1 person likes this

36184757.jpg

Heartbleed Bug: Public urged to reset all passwords

Several tech firms are urging people to change all their passwords after the discovery of a major security flaw.

This is bad advice as the solution is not installed in all servers and companies. You would only change it in those who have implemented a patch.

Posted (edited)

Heartbleed hacks hit Mumsnet and Canada's tax agency

A leading UK site for parents and the Canadian tax authority have both announced they have had data stolen by hackers exploiting the Heartbleed bug.

Mumsnet - which says it has 10 million visits per month - said that it believed that the cyber thieves may have obtained passwords and personal messages before it patched its site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-27028101

Edited by seeder