Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beginning interest in Microbiology

Orcseeker

So I've just gained a strong interest in microbiology. I've looked at a couple documentaries and introductory videos. I'm going to invest in a 1000x microscope as well too see some small organisms.

Any microbiologists here with any information on what direction I should best take as a beginner?

Are you seeking this for academics or for personal interest?

So I've just gained a strong interest in microbiology. I've looked at a couple documentaries and introductory videos. I'm going to invest in

a 1000x microscope as well too see some small organisms. Any microbiologists here with any information on what direction I should best

take as a beginner?

I`m not a microbiologists but I own an OPTIKA B353PL microscope. Important for me was that the m. is a

trinocular one (stereo view and the option to mount a cam on separate).

Are you seeking this for academics or for personal interest?

Personal interest for now. Possibly academics in the future. I'm currently pursuing a graduate career in IT after completing my course in computer science.

I`m not a microbiologists but I own an OPTIKA B353PL microscope. Important for me was that the m. is a

trinocular one (stereo view and the option to mount a cam on separate).

Just had a look at it. Looks very nice! A bit too expensive for me though. Do you have a camera attached to it? You been looking at some microorganisms? I'm aiming to get a decent microscope to see and view bacteria, algae, etc.

Personal interest for now. Possibly academics in the future. I'm currently pursuing a graduate career in IT after completing my course in computer science.

You'll want a compound microscope that has several objective lenses, typically ranging from ~4x to 100x. The achieved magnification is the product of the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. If your eyepiece is 10x and you are using the 100x objective lens, then it is 1,000x.I'd suggest learning about oil immersion, which increases resolution at the higher magnification, and staining techniques, particularly Gram staining.I am sure the max magnification for an optical microscope is about 1,500x.

You'll want a compound microscope that has several objective lenses, typically ranging from ~4x to 100x. The achieved magnification is the product of the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. If your eyepiece is 10x and you are using the 100x objective lens, then it is 1,000x.I'd suggest learning about oil immersion, which increases resolution at the higher magnification, and staining techniques, particularly Gram staining.I am sure the max magnification for an optical microscope is about 1,500x.

I have heard of the oil immersion but was unsure on the process. That explanation on magnification has definitely cleared any things I wasnt sure about up for me though, thanks. Are you a microbiologist or is this a hobby of yours?

I have heard of the oil immersion but was unsure on the process. That explanation on magnification has definitely cleared any things I wasnt sure about up for me though, thanks. Are you a microbiologist or is this a hobby of yours?

I have a Biology science degree and have had a few years of microbial experience as well as some post-grad studies.

Oil immersion is not difficult, just need the correct lens, often it is an 100x or perhaps 40x lens and immersion oil. You just place a drop or two of immersion oil onto the coverslip between the lens. The oil has a higher index of refraction and less light is scattered between the specimen and the lens, increasing the resolution.

Using staining methods and various biochemical tests, you can determine the species of an unknown microbe. Part of the final, or at least ours, was to identify two unknowns provided by the professor. We had to first get a pure culture, and then go through the gambit of tests and state what we thought it was.

I have a Biology science degree and have had a few years of microbial experience as well as some post-grad studies.

Oil immersion is not difficult, just need the correct lens, often it is an 100x or perhaps 40x lens and immersion oil. You just place a drop or two of immersion oil onto the coverslip between the lens. The oil has a higher index of refraction and less light is scattered between the specimen and the lens, increasing the resolution.

Using staining methods and various biochemical tests, you can determine the species of an unknown microbe. Part of the final, or at least ours, was to identify two unknowns provided by the professor. We had to first get a pure culture, and then go through the gambit of tests and state what we thought it was.

That sounds interesting. Sometimes I think I should have taken such a direction myself.

I was looking into getting this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200677290163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Do you think that satisfies everything?

Hmm I will look into the process of such tests. I will also get my hands on some immersion oil.

Just had a look at it. Looks very nice! A bit too expensive for me though. Do you have a camera attached to it? You been looking at some microorganisms? I'm aiming to get a decent microscope to see and view bacteria, algae, etc.

Not yet, I`m just waiting for the adapter for my cam.

The first stuff I watched was: home dust. Very interesting!

Edited by toast

That sounds interesting. Sometimes I think I should have taken such a direction myself.

I was looking into getting this one: http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649 Do you think that satisfies everything?

Hmm I will look into the process of such tests. I will also get my hands on some immersion oil.

This particular model does not state that it has an immersion lens. Often it is the highest objective lens, but it is not specified that it has one, which would lead me to think it does not. You would probably want to get confirmation from the seller or check the manufacturer's site for that.

Two other features that may be nice to have, but certainly are not a requirement, are a moveable stage, whereas the stage can be moved via two knobs, so you do not need to move the slide by hand each time you want to look at a different area. The other is having a condenser, which can increase resolution at the higher magnification. It produces similar results to oil immersion, but I believe using immersion oil still produces better results. Using a condenser is less mess though.

Edited by Insanity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This particular model does not state that it has an immersion lens. Often it is the highest objective lens, but it is not specified that it has one, which would lead me to think it does not. You would probably want to get confirmation from the seller or check the manufacturer's site for that.

Two other features that may be nice to have, but certainly are not a requirement, are a moveable stage, whereas the stage can be moved via two knobs, so you do not need to move the slide by hand each time you want to look at a different area. The other is having a condenser, which can increase resolution at the higher magnification. It produces similar results to oil immersion, but I believe using immersion oil still produces better results. Using a condenser is less mess though.

I contacted the seller and it does not. Although I like the idea of taking photos of what I'm seeing under the microscope. It is possible to use oil immersion and a camera in one?

Thank you for the invaluable information thus far. You also wouldn't happen to know the average price I'd be looking at for a model you've specified?

I contacted the seller and it does not. Although I like the idea of taking photos of what I'm seeing under the microscope. It is possible to use oil immersion and a camera in one?

Thank you for the invaluable information thus far. You also wouldn't happen to know the average price I'd be looking at for a model you've specified?

I'd imagine it is possible, the oil immersion lens is in the objective piece, and the camera would be placed in the same place as the eye lens, or possibly with it. They're at two different locations. I am afraid that other than looking at prices myself, I wouldn't know the current average cost, I haven't had to purchase one in many years.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd imagine it is possible, the oil immersion lens is in the objective piece, and the camera would be placed in the same place as the eye lens, or possibly with it. They're at two different locations. I am afraid that other than looking at prices myself, I wouldn't know the current average cost, I haven't had to purchase one in many years.

I have decided to go with this one after contacting the seller with the specifications you listed: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40X-2500X-LED-Digital-Binocular-Compound-Microscope-w-3D-Stage-1-3MP-USB-Imager-/141275192082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e4a85b12

Fingers crossed, seems like a good price.

I have decided to go with this one after contacting the seller with the specifications you listed: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40X-2500X-LED-Digital-Binocular-Compound-Microscope-w-3D-Stage-1-3MP-USB-Imager-/141275192082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e4a85b12

Fingers crossed, seems like a good price.

That does look like a decent microscope. A quality scientific instrument usually is not cheap, but that one seems reasonable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That does look like a decent microscope. A quality scientific instrument usually is not cheap, but that one seems reasonable.

Thanks for all your help Insanity. Really appreciate it.