Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obamacare's next big surprise

Merc14

Obamacare's next big surprise is just starting to come to light and it is,basically, that is you didn't buy insurance before teh deadline, you are out of luck until the end of teh year. Period. The markets are closed so that there could be some stability in the risk pools. It is the only way insurance can work.

A life changing event like marriage, loss of a job, a new baby, etc. will allow you to purchase a policy but the rest of you folks are out of luck. Short term insurance is, of course, available but that will cost you dearly. So who may be looking for insurance in teh intervening mnths between Mach 31st and teh next open enrollment at teh end of teh year? Sick people of course and what a headline that will make on Drudge or Fox or some other media source not beholden to the Obama regime.

http://www.foxnews.c...578774735426773

Latest ObamaCare surprise: Most won't be able to buy health insurance until end of year

128x128-jim-angle.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

By Jim Angle Published April 09, 2014

FoxNews.com

There is yet another ObamaCare surprise waiting for consumers: from now until the next open enrollment at the end of this year, most people will simply not be able to buy any health insurance at all, even outside the exchanges.

"It's all closed down. You cannot buy a policy that is a qualified policy for the purpose of the ACA (the Affordable Care Act) until next year on January 1," says John DiVito, president of Flexbenefit which has 2,500 brokers.

John Goodman of the National Center for Policy Analysis in Dallas adds, "People are not going to be able to buy individual and family policies, and that's part of ObamaCare. And what makes it so surprising is the whole point of ObamaCare was to encourage people to get insurance, and now the market has been completely closed down for the next seven months."

That means that with few exceptions, tens of millions of people will be locked out of the health insurance market for the rest of this year.

Only about one in four subsidy-eligible people signed up for health insurance," says Robert Laszewski of Health Policy Associates. "That means about 13 million subsidy-eligible people have not yet signed up for health insurance."

Add to that millions more who waited, or thought the policies under ObamaCare were too expensive and decided just to pay the tax penalty.

Although those who failed to buy insurance during the enrollment period could face a government penalty, most will not have to pay that penalty until they do their taxes next year.

“In all likelihood," says Laszewski, "we've only signed up somewhere between one in five and one in seven people who were uninsured prior to the start of ObamaCare."

That means millions are left outside the health insurance market. There is short term insurance, but anyone with a pre-existing condition can be turned down.

Article continues here: http://www.foxnews.c...578774735426773

Edited by Merc14

sounds like open enrolment time in any company that provides you with ins.

wasn't ACA supposed to make sure no one would be denied with pre-existing condition ??? but they also said you could keep your policy, that was a lie. lol

• Like 1

Yes, open enrollment but for everyone in the country. This is a first and was not something that they talked about while selling this thing.

Yes, open enrollment but for everyone in the country. This is a first and was not something that they talked about while selling this thing.

I think you are confused. I think this may be the 8000th time someone told you this..but Obamacare is not insurance. It is a way to link the uninsured with an insurance company. Insurance companies still have their open enrollment. I mean, truthfully, is it really that shocking to you?

I think you are confused. I think this may be the 8000th time someone told you this..but Obamacare is not insurance. It is a way to link the uninsured with an insurance company. Insurance companies still have their open enrollment. I mean, truthfully, is it really that shocking to you?

I understand what Obamacare is and how it works but open enrollment is not a universal as it is now. Your company may have open enrollment but if you wanted to buy insurance outside those bounds, in oother words, on your own then you could easily do so. That is no longer the case because the giovernment is running HOW the insurance companies now conduct all their business. Is that shocking to you? You act as if the government isn't running this thing and is just a neutral observer yet the CBO just upped the ante of what it will cost to 2 trillion dollars, a far cry from the $900 Billion it was originally sold as costing? Do you know how the CBO came up with their initial estimates?.

So did you expect people to be outraged by an open enrollment period? You had to have had an end game here. I for one am not outraged by an open enrollment period, as I deal with it every single year.

• Like 1

well, before ACA you could buy ins at anytime, if you were not getting it at work, not only in november, and you did not get fined if you did not. now what was the reason it was implemented in a first place? allegedly to help unisnsured to get insurance. what did we get so far? millions policies were dropped, despite promises they could keep their policy. now keep in mind ACA did not only mandated you to buy ins. and regulates ins. comp how to do buissnes, but it also expended medicaid, out of 7M signed up, how many of those never had a policy before? and how many had to buy a new one cuz their was dropped due to ACa standarts??? now we also have 3 millions new medicaid customers. so how many of those that ACA was made for, never had ins. before, got policys now in reality?? lol. try to get an aswer like that from them.

So did you expect people to be outraged by an open enrollment period? You had to have had an end game here. I for one am not outraged by an open enrollment period, as I deal with it every single year.

Of course you aren't, you are a proponent of this disaster. How does it feel to be backing one of the most unpopular programs in history and to have been so completely wrong in your choices? BTW, it is going to get even worse when all the really punishing mandates that Obama has put off, in hopes of salvaging the next elections, kick in. You not being outraged isn't a surprise.

sounds like open enrolment time in any company that provides you with ins.

Yeah, it is.

Yeah, it is.

Hmm, not really star, see, your boys in the regime have been crowing about how freeing Obamacare is, that you can leave your job and start up that little business you always wanted and still be covered. I know, stupid rationalizing, something liberals do allteh time to justify their insanity. The thing is, that is another lie because now when Cindy Lou the lefty flake quits her job to start Cindy's apothecary and tattoo parlor and goes to get that healthcare Biden said she could always have, she can't!

When Cindy Lou the lefty flake heads back to get her old job and benefits back the boss says no because he can't afford anymore 40 hour/week employees (plus he is glad to be rid of the litigious Cindy Lou the lefty flake and her war on women mantra)

How is that the same as before Obamacare, when you could leave your job, start a business, call up BC & BS and get a policy anytime?

How is that the same as before Obamacare, when you could leave your job, start a business, call up BC & BS and get a policy anytime?

Losing other coverage (e.g., by leaving a job) gives you a 60-day window to buy an insurance policy any time of year.

It's the same reason you're allowed to join the company's insurance policy when you start a job even if it's not during the open enrollment period: life changes allow for special enrollment periods. These concepts won't be new to anyone who's had health insurance through a job before.

Edited by Startraveler

I understand what Obamacare is and how it works but open enrollment is not a universal as it is now.

I have my doubts that you have ever purchased insurance thru a companies open enrollment - like most Americans.

Losing other coverage (e.g., by leaving a job) gives you a 60-day window to buy an insurance policy any time of year.

It's the same reason you're allowed to join the company's insurance policy when you start a job even if it's not during the open enrollment period: life changes allow for special enrollment periods. These concepts won't be new to anyone who's had health insurance through a job before.

Not when you quit to pursue your dream (see Joe Biden extolling the virtues of unemployment).

I have my doubts that you have ever purchased insurance thru a companies open enrollment - like most Americans.

You have no idea what you are talking about, as usual and your zombie like dedication, to the point of wishing dissenters against democrat policy would be jailed, are quite worrisome. I am sure startraveler feels the same, especially since he is being made to look so incredibly wrong every day, but he isn't stupid enough to admit it.

Listen ninjadude, your philosophy has been tried all over the world in the last 100 years and in every case has failed miserably at the cost of millions of lives. Everything you believe is wrong, as proven by history.

• Like 2

Lol...this is old news!Maybe some people should study politics more so teh don't seem so in the dark...Humans...

• Like 1

Not when you quit to pursue your dream (see Joe Biden extolling the virtues of unemployment).

Yes, Merc, even when you quit. A life event (quitting a job is considered one) allows you to purchase insurance even if open enrollment is closed.

And you say I am a proponent of Obamacare? Personally, I would rather hospitals and doctors refuse to treat the uninsured. But, that's not going to happen, so this is the next best thing to getting the freeloaders to put into the pot.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you have insurance, Merc?

Edited by Agent0range

...... so this is the next best thing to getting the freeloaders to put into the pot.

but they are not, 3million more medicaid customers, due to ACa medicaid expention, you and me will be paying their bills, and they wont put a penny in a jar. that is just one example.

10 million illegals that get treatment, pop babies, and you can't force them to pay. you do not even know who they are.

Yes, Merc, even when you quit. A life event (quitting a job is considered one) allows you to purchase insurance even if open enrollment is closed.

And you say I am a proponent of Obamacare? Personally, I would rather hospitals and doctors refuse to treat the uninsured. But, that's not going to happen, so this is the next best thing to getting the freeloaders to put into the pot.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you have insurance, Merc?

I honestly cannot pin down whether quitting your job qualifies as an qualifying Life Eventy, all I can find is

• A change in income.
  • A change in your status, such as marriage, death of a spouse, divorce, legal separation or annulment.
  • A change in your number of dependents, including birth, death, adoption or placement for adoption.
  • A change in your employment status, or the employment status of your spouse or dependent.
  • A dependent becoming ineligible for existing coverage due to attainment of age.

I know it doesn't for other programs so I guess it will be a test case that will provide the answer.

Why is my insurance status pertinent? Do I need to be a victim to speak out? I am getting screwed by ACA, if that makes you feel better but I will not divulge personal information of that nature on this site.

Code Event 1A Initial opportunity to enroll, for example:

• New employee
  • Change from excluded position
  • Temporary employee who completes one year of service and is eligible to enroll under 5 USC 8906a

1C Change in family status that results in increase or decrease in number of eligible family members, for example:

• Marriage, divorce, annulment
  • Birth, adoption, acquiring foster child or stepchild, issuance of court order requiring employee to provide coverage for child
  • Last child loses coverage, for example, child reaches age 26 or marries, foster child moves out of employee's home and/or becomes financially independent, or disabled child becomes capable of self-support, child acquires other coverage by court order
  • Death of spouse or dependent

1D Any change in employee's employment status that could result in entitlement to coverage, for example:

• Reemployment after a break in service of more than three days
  • Return to pay status from nonpay status, or return to receiving pay sufficient to cover premium withholdings, if coverage terminated

1E Any change in employee's employment status that could affect cost of insurance, including:

• Change from temporary appointment with eligibility for coverage under 5 USC 8906a to appointment that permits receipt of Government contribution
  • Change from full time to part-time career or the reverse

1F Employee restored to civilian position after serving in uniformed services. 1G Employee, spouse or dependent:

• Begins nonpay status or insufficient pay or
  • Ends nonpay status or insufficient pay if coverage continued
  • (If employee's coverage terminated, see 1D.)
  • (If spouse's or dependent's coverage terminated, see 1M.)

1H Salary of temporary employee insufficient to make withholdings for plan in which enrolled. 1I Employee (or covered family member) enrolled in FEHB health maintenance organization (HMO) moves or becomes employed outside the geographic area from which the FEHB carrier accepts enrollments or, if already outside the area, moves further from this area. 1J Transfer from post of duty within a state of the United States or the District of Columbia to post of duty outside a state of the United States or District of Columbia, or reverse. 1K Separation from Federal employment when the employee or employee's spouse is pregnant. 1L Employee becomes entitled to Medicare and wants to change to another plan or option. 1M Employee or eligible family member loses coverage under FEHB or another group insurance plan including the following:

• Loss of coverage under another FEHB enrollment due to termination, cancellation, or change to Self Only of the covering enrollment
  • Loss of coverage due to termination of membership in employee organization sponsoring the FEHB plan.
  • Loss of coverage under another Federally-sponsored health benefits program, including: TRICARE, Medicare, Indian Health Service
  • Loss of coverage under Medicaid or similar state-sponsored program of medical assistance for the needy
  • Loss of coverage under a non-Federal health plan, including foreign, state or local government, private sector
  • Loss of coverage due to change in worksite or residence (Employees in an FEHB HMO, also see 1I.)

1N Loss of coverage under a non-Federal group health plan because an employee moves out of the commuting area to accept another position and the employee's non-Federally employed spouse terminates employment to accompany the employee. 1O Employee or eligible family member loses coverage due to discontinuance in whole or part of FEHB plan. 1P Enrolled employee or eligible family member gains coverage under FEHB or another group insurance plan, including the following:

• Medicare (Employees who become eligible for Medicare and want to change plans or options, see 1L.)
  • TRICARE for Life, due to enrollment in Medicare.
  • TRICARE due to change in employment status, including: (1) entry into active military service, (2) retirement from reserve military service under Chapter 67, title 10.
  • Medicaid or similar state-sponsored program of Medical assistance for the needy
  • Health insurance acquired due to change of worksite or residence that affects eligibility for coverage
  • Health insurance acquired due to spouse's or dependent's change in employment status (includes state, local, or foreign government or private sector employment).

1Q Change in spouse's or dependent's coverage options under a non-Federal health plan, for example:

• Employer starts or stops offering a different type of coverage (If no other coverage is available, also see 1M.)
  • Change in cost of coverage
  • HMO adds a geographic service area that now makes spouse eligible to enroll in that HMO
  • HMO removes a geographic area that makes spouse ineligible for coverage under that HMO, but other plans or options are available(If no other coverage is available, see 1M)

1R Employee or eligible family member becomes eligible for assistance under Medicaid or a State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

http://www.opm.gov/h...nce/enrollment/

Edited by aztek

I honestly cannot pin down whether quitting your job qualifies as an qualifying Life Eventy, all I can find is

• A change in income.
  • A change in your status, such as marriage, death of a spouse, divorce, legal separation or annulment.
  • A change in your number of dependents, including birth, death, adoption or placement for adoption.
  • A change in your employment status, or the employment status of your spouse or dependent.
  • A dependent becoming ineligible for existing coverage due to attainment of age.

I know it doesn't for other programs so I guess it will be a test case that will provide the answer.

Why is my insurance status pertinent? Do I need to be a victim to speak out? I am getting screwed by ACA, if that makes you feel better but I will not divulge personal information of that nature on this site.

You can't pin down whether quitting your job qualifies?? Merc. What is the first bullet point that you just posted? What about the fourth bullet point? It is spelled out in black and white right in front of you and you can't pin it down?

Code Event 1A Initial opportunity to enroll, for example:

• New employee
  • Change from excluded position
  • Temporary employee who completes one year of service and is eligible to enroll under 5 USC 8906a

1C Change in family status that results in increase or decrease in number of eligible family members, for example:

• Marriage, divorce, annulment
  • Birth, adoption, acquiring foster child or stepchild, issuance of court order requiring employee to provide coverage for child
  • Last child loses coverage, for example, child reaches age 26 or marries, foster child moves out of employee's home and/or becomes financially independent, or disabled child becomes capable of self-support, child acquires other coverage by court order
  • Death of spouse or dependent

1D Any change in employee's employment status that could result in entitlement to coverage, for example:

• Reemployment after a break in service of more than three days
  • Return to pay status from nonpay status, or return to receiving pay sufficient to cover premium withholdings, if coverage terminated

1E Any change in employee's employment status that could affect cost of insurance, including:

• Change from temporary appointment with eligibility for coverage under 5 USC 8906a to appointment that permits receipt of Government contribution
  • Change from full time to part-time career or the reverse

1F Employee restored to civilian position after serving in uniformed services. 1G Employee, spouse or dependent:

• Begins nonpay status or insufficient pay or
  • Ends nonpay status or insufficient pay if coverage continued
  • (If employee's coverage terminated, see 1D.)
  • (If spouse's or dependent's coverage terminated, see 1M.)

1H Salary of temporary employee insufficient to make withholdings for plan in which enrolled. 1I Employee (or covered family member) enrolled in FEHB health maintenance organization (HMO) moves or becomes employed outside the geographic area from which the FEHB carrier accepts enrollments or, if already outside the area, moves further from this area. 1J Transfer from post of duty within a state of the United States or the District of Columbia to post of duty outside a state of the United States or District of Columbia, or reverse. 1K Separation from Federal employment when the employee or employee's spouse is pregnant. 1L Employee becomes entitled to Medicare and wants to change to another plan or option. 1M Employee or eligible family member loses coverage under FEHB or another group insurance plan including the following:

• Loss of coverage under another FEHB enrollment due to termination, cancellation, or change to Self Only of the covering enrollment
  • Loss of coverage due to termination of membership in employee organization sponsoring the FEHB plan.
  • Loss of coverage under another Federally-sponsored health benefits program, including: TRICARE, Medicare, Indian Health Service
  • Loss of coverage under Medicaid or similar state-sponsored program of medical assistance for the needy
  • Loss of coverage under a non-Federal health plan, including foreign, state or local government, private sector
  • Loss of coverage due to change in worksite or residence (Employees in an FEHB HMO, also see 1I.)

1N Loss of coverage under a non-Federal group health plan because an employee moves out of the commuting area to accept another position and the employee's non-Federally employed spouse terminates employment to accompany the employee. 1O Employee or eligible family member loses coverage due to discontinuance in whole or part of FEHB plan. 1P Enrolled employee or eligible family member gains coverage under FEHB or another group insurance plan, including the following:

• Medicare (Employees who become eligible for Medicare and want to change plans or options, see 1L.)
  • TRICARE for Life, due to enrollment in Medicare.
  • TRICARE due to change in employment status, including: (1) entry into active military service, (2) retirement from reserve military service under Chapter 67, title 10.
  • Medicaid or similar state-sponsored program of Medical assistance for the needy
  • Health insurance acquired due to change of worksite or residence that affects eligibility for coverage
  • Health insurance acquired due to spouse's or dependent's change in employment status (includes state, local, or foreign government or private sector employment).

1Q Change in spouse's or dependent's coverage options under a non-Federal health plan, for example:

• Employer starts or stops offering a different type of coverage (If no other coverage is available, also see 1M.)
  • Change in cost of coverage
  • HMO adds a geographic service area that now makes spouse eligible to enroll in that HMO
  • HMO removes a geographic area that makes spouse ineligible for coverage under that HMO, but other plans or options are available(If no other coverage is available, see 1M)

1R Employee or eligible family member becomes eligible for assistance under Medicaid or a State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

http://www.opm.gov/h...nce/enrollment/

Thnaks for that and I don't see anywhere there where quitting your job provides you an exemption to secure an ACA policy after the March 31 deadline. What is your interpretation?

You can't pin down whether quitting your job qualifies?? Merc. What is the first bullet point that you just posted? What about the fourth bullet point? It is spelled out in black and white right in front of you and you can't pin it down?

In my experience, quitting your job voluntarily does not offer the same level of priviledges as involuntarily losing employment. and what I posted was very vague and general. The devil is always in the details with these kinds of things and I would think a grown man would've learned that sometime in his life. Apparently not.

Edited by Merc14

I believe the real **** storm with obamacare will come when tens of millions of employer supplied insurance policies are cancelled for not meeting the standards put forth in the ACA.

Of course that won't happen before the mid term elections but when it does the ****s really gonna hit the fan.

Thnaks for that and I don't see anywhere there where quitting your job provides you an exemption to secure an ACA policy after the March 31 deadline. What is your interpretation?

In my experience, quitting your job voluntarily does not offer the same level of priviledges as involuntarily losing employment. and what I posted was very vague and general. The devil is always in the details with these kinds of things and I would think a grown man would've learned that sometime in his life. Apparently not.

The only "priveleges" you don't receive when you quit a job instead of being fired are unemployment benefits. You can quit your job and still get welfare, and food stamps as well as qualify for a handful of other safety net programs. "Change in income" is a very direct statement that leaves no room for any interpretation. You can get a raise at work and change plans to something better, or leave your job and change your plan to something cheaper.

I believe the real **** storm with obamacare will come when tens of millions of employer supplied insurance policies are cancelled for not meeting the standards put forth in the ACA.

Of course that won't happen before the mid term elections but when it does the ****s really gonna hit the fan.

lol, it already has happened, policys that did not comply with ACA have already been dropped.