Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Land Rover designs 'invisible' car bonnet

UM-Bot

The manufacturer has unveiled its concept for a car with a bonnet that the driver can see through.

The augmented reality mechanism works by using live cameras that overlay an image of the terrain underneath on to the front of the car.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ible-car-bonnet

It's kind of like cloaking technology, very cool.

driver is responsible to look ahead at all times when driving forwards (unless a quick look in the mirrors), not under the bonnet

Oh man that is cool. Very helpful when off-roading.

Excellent! Now impatient drivers in a constant state of road-rage will be able to actually see the horrified looks on the faces of the pedestrians they're running over!

• Like 4

This will be mostly a toy for the people who want it. If you were able to see a pothole or other road hazard before you hit it, you'd avoid it. Once you're close enough to see it with this gadget, it's too late! I can see people getting in accidents or in this case wrecks as it will be not accident because tey were watching what's under the vehicle instead of what's in front of it.

This is great for off-road driving as you'd be able to see exactly where teh front wheels are moving over the rough terrain. I'm sure it isn't tuned on full time

• Like 1

How are they going to keep the camera's clean under a 4WD ?

my first thought as well. The test road is pristine.

my first thought as well. The test road is pristine.

I'd also be worried about the lens being broken by stones and other crap coming up from the road.

I like the concept. Very cool and potentially useful.

The concerns(which I did not think of) raised by some of the above commentors will need to be addressed.

They are pretty smart folks, though and I am sure they are taking all these things into consideration. I would think reessed cameras behind bulletproof glass with some kind of cleaning system would be a starting point.

AH-HA, I knew it! The bulletproof glass/window washer fluid lobbyists are behind this!

Edited by AZDZ

AH-HA, I knew it! The bulletproof glass/window washer fluid lobbyists are behind this!

Dang, you got me. You'd have to have gallons of fluid flushing continuously and I own stock!!!!