Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

Construction to Begin on Asteroid Spacecraft

9 posts in this topic

Construction to Begin on NASA Spacecraft Set to Visit Asteroid in 2018

NASA's team that will conduct the first U.S. mission to collect samples from an asteroid has been given the go-ahead to begin building the spacecraft, flight instruments and ground system, and launch support facilities.

This determination was made Wednesday after a successful Mission Critical Design Review (CDR) for NASA’s Origins Spectral Interpretation Resource Identification Security Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx). The CDR was held at Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company in Littleton, Colo., April 1-9. An independent review board, comprised of experts from NASA and several external organizations, met to review the system design.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I thought for a minute that it was referring to taking an asteroid and turning it into a spacecraft.....

I thought for a minute that it was referring to taking an asteroid and turning it into a spacecraft.....

Now that would be cool. Asteroids could make excellent space ships or stations.

1 person likes this

I thought someone might, I just wondered if anyone would by daft enough to admit it.

Posted (edited)

Daft.... I'm sometimes described as that. :innocent:

Edited by DieChecker
1 person likes this

OK - The spacecraft is going to survey the surface of the asteroid for a year then bring back a few 60 gm samples. Unless NASA has an AI we don't know about, I theorize, as I don't want to assume, that there will be some type of human control to the mission?

1 person likes this

OK - The spacecraft is going to survey the surface of the asteroid for a year then bring back a few 60 gm samples. Unless NASA has an AI we don't know about, I theorize, as I don't want to assume, that there will be some type of human control to the mission?

Probably a bit of both. We're getting pretty succesful with remote missions that can act with some autonomy. Ground control will likely be at the stick though.

1 person likes this

What's this WE? NASA has some sort of AI YOU don't know about.

All unmanned spacecraft receive instructions from controllers on Earth, however, given the distances involved, a large degree of autonomy is also needed. Radio signals can take several minutes each way, so spacecraft simply can not be remotely controlled by an operator on Earth, by the time he/she sees a potential danger the spacecraft has already been destroyed several minutes earlier.

Curiosity, the Mars rover, has software which allows it to look for obstacles and drive around them. If it can not do so then it stops and awaits further instructions form Earth.

OSIRIS-REx will thoroughly map the surface of asteroid Bennu before any attempt at collecting samples is made. Experts on the ground will decide where to collect the samples from, but once the command is given OSIRIS-REx will largely be on its own.

This is an exciting time to be an asteroid!

All unmanned spacecraft receive instructions from controllers on Earth, however, given the distances involved, a large degree of autonomy is also needed. Radio signals can take several minutes each way, so spacecraft simply can not be remotely controlled by an operator on Earth, by the time he/she sees a potential danger the spacecraft has already been destroyed several minutes earlier.

Yes, information is currently limited by the speed of light. When we look at the night sky we experience a time delay hallucination.