Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian MPs: Prosecute Gorbachev for Treason

Yamato

A group of Russian MPs have formally requested prosecutors to investigate former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev for treason over the breakup of the Soviet Union, a lawmaker said on Thursday.

Ivan Nikitchuk, a Communist party deputy, said recent events and the Ukraine crisis in particular have led five MPs, including two from the ruling United Russia party, to ask the prosecutor general, Yury Chaika, to examine Gorbachev, 83.

"We asked to prosecute him and those who helped him destroy the Soviet Union for treason of national interests," said Nikitchuk, adding that Soviet citizens in 1991 were against the country's breakup.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/10/russian-mps-say-mikhail-gorbachev-should-prosecuted-treason

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.United_Nations

• Harry_Dresden

• Yamato

• Border Collie

ohreally_zps5ad3be8b.gif

Interesting development if I say so myself. I wonder if they find him guilty ...will they try to re-assemble it?

Edited by Jeremiah65

The Empire strikes back....... :gun:

Pure madness of course,I suppose the next step will be MPs calling for Yeltsin to be dug up and put on trial...

The World has gone mad.

Treason: the crime of betraying one's country.

As the Soviet Union no longer exists, how is this proposed case to be heard?

Muppets.

The Soviet Union is long gone, why do people cling onto the past, they need to move forward not backwords, people lived in fear during the troubled times of the cold war

From a Russian nationalist point of view, i can see how they would hold Gorby responsible for dropping the Soviet ball.. hope they're fair and condemn Yeltsin too, for forcing his hand.

From a Russian nationalist point of view, i can see how they would hold Gorby responsible for dropping the Soviet ball.. hope they're fair and condemn Yeltsin too, for forcing his hand.

but the problem is that tits not the 50's or 60's or 70's anymore and if the soviet union still existed we would still wouldnt know about the Korean flight that got shot down by the Soviets.

but the problem is that tits not the 50's or 60's or 70's anymore and if the soviet union still existed we would still wouldnt know about the Korean flight that got shot down by the Soviets.

Russia is riding high on its success in Ukraine and this call of Gorby treason is just solidifying Internal political factors, thats all. The Soviet Union had outlived it's purpose and communism for that fact. What they're angry at is in the speed of the disintegration of the Soviet Union without giving the Russians a chance to change the stationary and open shop under a new entity, instead they have to make do with taking territory back from their old clients and provoking their enemies.