Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I need a show like the original Twilight zone

Roy Don

I am a huge fan of the original "Twilight Zone" series. Can anyone recommend a similar show that is available on Netflix maybe? I already seen all the X-files, The outer limits, masters of horror, Tales from the crypt, and Tales from the Darkside etc. I want something that has that mysterious cold war feel that the original series had. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Thanks for the response but I forgot to mention that one. I have the whole series on DVD as well as Alfred Hitchcock, The Masterpiece collection, which features his greatest films like Psycho, The Birds, Rope, Torn Curtain, and my favorite, Rear Window. What I am really hoping for is something like the original TZ series that plays heavily on the post war, space race, cold war paranoia and Apocalypse scenarios, think "The last man on Earth" with vincent price or the "Fallout" video game series. This is one of my favorite genres and I would really like to see something with less emphasis on horror and more on the sci-fi post war thing.

• Like 1

There's a series currently running called Defiance that is post alien war thing, it has a certain western/scifi thing going on like a more serious Firefly.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip, I think I may have heard of this one, I will check to see if it's on Netflix.

Never seen it actually. I always thought it was more of a soap opera, what is the premise?

Thriller with Boris Karloff... I don't know if it is on Netflix but it carries the same shock value as Twilight Zone and I am a big fan of both.

• Like 1

Thriller with Boris Karloff... I don't know if it is on Netflix but it carries the same shock value as Twilight Zone and I am a big fan of both.

I agree there are some superb episodes of Thriller.Have you seen Rod Serling's Night Gallery?I don't think it was as good as The Twilight Zone but Serling wrote alot of the series and there are some good moments

• Like 3

I agree there are some superb episodes of Thriller.Have you seen Rod Serling's Night Gallery?I don't think it was as good as The Twilight Zone but Serling wrote alot of the series and there are some good moments

I love Night Gallery! I don't remember if it was the pilot episode with Roddy McDowell that he was waiting on an inheritence from an old relative and after the relative died, a painting that was along the stairwell kept changing and showing the old man getting out of the grave and coming to get him. Masterfully done... I think the one episode that was brilliant also was Midnight Never Comes or something like that...

I love Night Gallery! I don't remember if it was the pilot episode with Roddy McDowell that he was waiting on an inheritence from an old relative and after the relative died, a painting that was along the stairwell kept changing and showing the old man getting out of the grave and coming to get him. Masterfully done... I think the one episode that was brilliant also was Midnight Never Comes or something like that...

I think I seen that episode, are you sure it was night gallery?

• Like 1

I think I seen that episode, are you sure it was night gallery?

I'm fairly sure, you mean the one with Roddy McDowell? I remember the butler was named Portafoy which is a name that sticks with you. The only other thing I remember was that at the end the year was 1969 but I think most Night Gallery was 1970-1972 so I maybe mistaken. I don't recall the name of the episode though and that would help a lot.

• Like 2

i recall the fox network had a show (i can't recall the title) in 2001. the episodes had a twist ending to them. i don't think all of the episodes were shown because of what happened on september 11, 2001. i wish that show was out on dvd. can anyone recall the show's title?

I'm fairly sure, you mean the one with Roddy McDowell? I remember the butler was named Portafoy which is a name that sticks with you. The only other thing I remember was that at the end the year was 1969 but I think most Night Gallery was 1970-1972 so I maybe mistaken. I don't recall the name of the episode though and that would help a lot.

The segment was called The Cemetary & was one of 3 stories in the pilot episode including The Eyes directed by Steven Spielberg

• Like 1

Creep Show 1 & 2. They are movie length films but split into 3-4 stories each. Stephen King wrote them all.

• Like 1

I seem to remember creep show. Is that the one where the teenagers are all at the beach on a wooden raft and this black blob monster comes up out of the water? I know it has a comic book type of segue into each new story IIRC.

• Like 1

I seem to remember creep show. Is that the one where the teenagers are all at the beach on a wooden raft and this black blob monster comes up out of the water? I know it has a comic book type of segue into each new story IIRC.

Yeah that's from Creepshow 2,the first one is the better film in my opinion

I don't think I seen part 2 before. But I am building a pretty long list from the suggestions so far.

Trilogy of Terror, the one with the Zuni doll...

zuni.jpg

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1

Trilogy of Terror, the one with the Zuni doll...

zuni.jpg

Oh thats a classic,scared me senseless as a young nipper.Theres another one they made a couple of years later called Dead of Night thats worth a watch too

• Like 1

Oh thats a classic,scared me senseless as a young nipper.Theres another one they made a couple of years later called Dead of Night thats worth a watch too

I'll have to see that one then, thanks.

Btw, that Zuni doll one scared me too when I was a kid but I watch it now and I just laugh the whole way through. :D

• Like 1

Is "Ghost Story" available? It's like a poor man's "Night Gallery".

• Like 1

There's also Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Tales From The Darkside (love the creepy theme music) and also I remember Friday the 13th having a series too, to which I don't remember if it was good or not but I remember catching one episode upon waking up and seeing a boy in a hospital bed with a stuffed bear and suddenly the bear looked around then started whispering something to him. Creeped me out for days!!

• Like 1