Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Cherry tree from space' blooms years early

UM-Bot

Scientists have been left baffled by the accelerated growth of a seed that had spent a year in space.

A number of seeds, including cherry stones from Japan's 1,250-year-old "Chujo-hime-seigan-zakura" tree, had been sent up to the International Space Station as part of an experiment to see what affect space would have on the seeds and their subsequent growth.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...oms-years-early

• Like 1

Yeah haaaa, biotecture for macro structures......

• Like 1

They need to chop this tree down and examine its growth rings.

I say make end tables.

• Like 1

Huh. That's a curious finding.

I agree with taniwah that the growth rings should be examined. I think they do this with a sideways "ring" extraction without killing the tree.

Not sure, though. Perhaps the should have planted 2 trees and sacrificed one for full examination.

I wonder if children born to astronauts also have rapid growth. :P

Lame joke...

• Like 1

it's not a cherry tree from space

it's a cherry tree from seeds that were sent into space

it's no wonder there are so many gullible people out there

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

Lets mate a few mice in space for a year and see what happens. With out gravity I can see a bunch of odd things happening. Things that evolved on Earth will always have a reaction to a 0 grav enviroment. A twist on this doesn`t time slow the faster you go as demonstrated with the nuclear clock.

• Like 1

it's not a cherry tree from space

it's a cherry tree from seeds that were sent into space

it's no wonder there are so many gullible people out there

I don't know about anyone else, but I already knew they were seeds sent to the ISS for a year, then returned.

• Like 2

No no no..it is Cheery Trees from space, dont you see...its the Triffids...the Triffids are coming!

But sure, those who respond have read the article and would have seen the references but posted according to their wonts, as I do too...

Its amazing though that a few more around the country have also budded before their known observational time period for budding, one at only 2 years old.

I hope they update when the fruit s are mature and some brave soul tastes one, though from memory they were rather bland, the ornamentals that is....

The weeds in my yard in Arizona have sprouted this year quite a bit as compared to years past. This is the most weeds I have seen ever so maybe it has nothing to do with space but instead what is going on this year on earth. What they should have done was plant two seeds of the same age in the same soil, the one that went to space, and one that didn't, and see how they compare side by side in their growth cycle.

Lets mate a few mice in space for a year and see what happens.

I am proud to admit that a mouse is much too small for me to mate.

Harte

I don't know about anyone else, but I already knew they were seeds sent to the ISS for a year, then returned.

i'm not referring to people here specifically

i'm referring to the way news and other information is presented to the masses

• Like 1

i'm not referring to people here specifically

i'm referring to the way news and other information is presented to the masses

That is why the "Cherry tree from space," is in inverted commas, so those that understand basic punctuation know not to take that part literally.

Now that we have got that out of the way shall we get back on topic?

post-103357-0-19276700-1397377775_thumb.I bet the cherries will make one hell of a banana split.

"From a scientific point of view, we can only say we don't know why." say the scientists.

Well because 99.99999%. Of life on earth and its cosmic origins is also not known despite science taking numerous claims of success in reserches on the matter.

Edited by qxcontinuum

post-103357-0-19276700-1397377775_thumb.I bet the cherries will make one hell of a banana split.

Yeah. You might even say, it may be out of this World. ;-p

couldn't space conditions be simulated for the seeds that got sent out, rather than all the hubbaloo?

also, the article is referring to one tree out of how many that is ahead of its schedule?

i just don't think it is all that compelling.

Edited by JGirl

couldn't space conditions be simulated for the seeds that got sent out, rather than all the hubbaloo?

No as micro gravity cannot be simulated on earth. Research projects like this on are carried out to investigate

the options for onboard food production on long run space missions, like the Mars mission.

On board food production will reduce the amount/weight of food that must be lifted off with the space craft from

earth, resulting in a positive effect on the space crafts payload volume and propellant demand.

Less weight=less propellant demand/weight=less lift off mass (Earth)=less deceleration mass (Mars)=

less lift off mass (Mars)=less deceleration mass (Earth). In addition, the space craft structures can be sized

down accordingly=less mission costs.

For your pleasure:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Columbus/Plant_growth_experiment_starts_in_Columbus

Edited by toast