Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient 'spider' images reveal eye secrets

Still Waters

Stunning images of a 305-million-year-old harvestman fossil reveal ancestors of the modern-day arachnids had two sets of eyes rather than one. The researchers say their findings add significant detail to the evolutionary story of this diverse and highly successful group of arthropods, which are found on every continent except Antarctica.

http://www.scienceda...40410122153.htm

• Like 3

I was surprised to find that our modern preparation methods allowed us to see the individual eyes of the compound eyes of trilobites.

Harvestmen are charming little creatures (with very weak mouthparts), and I find it odd that so many people are frightened of them.

• Like 3

I was surprised to find that our modern preparation methods allowed us to see the individual eyes of the compound eyes of trilobites.

Harvestmen are charming little creatures (with very weak mouthparts), and I find it odd that so many people are frightened of them.

I know what you mean. I'm sick of people saying stuff like "ew, kill it with fire!" whenever they even see picture of an arachnid.

• Like 1

very much agreed. i've always been fascinated by harvestmen, and used to spend hours looking through grass trying to find one to watch. sometimes it seems like the more harmless to humans an animal is, the more people are frightened of it.

• Like 1

Well it must be nice to fear nothing in this world. Congratulations!!!

• Like 1

i'm sure it would be! don't think anyone here said anything like that though.

602105_497961690264312_547741293_n.jpg

But they do deal with the pesky flying insects ... at least they don't demand to be paid ~

• Like 2

I hate to break it to you, but harvestmen aren't exactly the pinnacle of fear.