Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

dead people and second hand clothes

little_ena

That depends upon whether you wash it first, rationally.

And even from the magical sense (heh) you'd still wash it, preferably in salty water.

You should be more concerned about the monitor than about someone's old clothes. Also, it's questionable just how good you might feel wearing something knowing that it belonged to someone else. Personally, I would never do that unless I have no other option.

I suppose it depends on the circumstances. I have worn a dead person's clothes but I knew who they belonged to, my sister-in-law to be. Her mum asked me at the time if I would like any of them, she said she preferred to see them being worn and put to good use, so I did accept a few things, mostly t-shirts and tops. There was also some brand new stuff which she was meant to have for Christmas that year and I was given those too.

Other than that I've got jewellery which belonged to my grandmother, and my godmother's engagement ring.

• Like 1

Considering all of the people who have lived and died, it is virtually impossible to do anything without coming in contact with something that someone else, now deceased had owned.

• Like 1

Never heard about clothes being haunted but some years ago a friend bought a chair at a house sale where the owner had died. My friend's daugher, who had always been very sensitive (if that is the correct word) stated when she saw the chair in her own house that a man was sitting in it. She had never met or seen the man whose chair it was but her parents had known him. My friend asked her to describe the person she was seeing and her desription matched the deceased exactly. Needless to say the chair was immediately removed from the house and my friend broke it up and burnt it. I have experienced her sensitivity myself and it really is quite strange and somewhat disturbing.

• Like 1

I wouldnt at all worry about clothes being haunted as I think that would be so highly unlikely. I did thou once see what was meant to be a true story on one of those paranormal shows of a dress which had a spirit attached to it (must of been the spirits favourite dress or something) but other then that Ive never heard of a connection to clothing. So I think we can wear all the clothing from dead people we'd like!.

I myself do buy from second hand clothing shops. In my country one doesnt get fleas, bedbugs or anything else from those as everything is so clean and well washed, Im sure the health inspector would be right in and the shop in trouble if that ever did occur (I dont even personally know of anyone who's ever had an incident of bedbugs).

Edited by sea-dove

When I die I would rather someone would make use of my cloths instead of them being burnt. Now my jewelry is another story.

• Like 1

For me, not really. If it was someone that I was close to, I might be a little more unsettled because it was someone that I knew, and they are still a part of you even when they're dead. If it was from someone I didn't know, then nah.

And I'd be worried about the clothes being clean or not. :P

But would you wear the clothing that a person died in?

Better yet, would you wear the clothing that a person was buried in?

The latter is far fetched, yeah i know.

Be that as it may...

Be that as it may...

if they were attractive to me and laundered and in good repair, why not?
  • Like 1

Ya used clothes are better when the owners are dead. When they are still alive it can be a struggle getting into their pants !!

• Like 4

I had my deceased grans boots, no ghosts ot vibes from them, but always felt good knowing they went to good use and she would have liked that, unfortunately, they too are now deceased.

• Like 3

I'd be lying if I said that I've never thought about this. But if old articles of clothing could be haunted, I'd be wading nipple - high through ghosts. Some things just aren't made like they're used to or even made at all, so you just have to go vintage for certain things.

I purchase clothes from a second hand shop if there's something nice. All the clothes I pick look new and in crisp condition. I don't get anything really old fashioned. Now other bits and bobs from second hand retailers like ornuments are something else. They're historic. I've bought statuettes and old jars from there. I guess some objects are quite historic.

It is interesting how something as personal as clothing is generally not considered hauntable but buildings and cemeteries are. This is odd as ghosts are very often described as being dressed so there is a connection to clothing. The rules for ghosts sure are weird.

Edited by sinewave

No its not clothes that are haunted, its bedsheets....

• Like 1

hello

I love clothes from op shops,

Is it creepy to buy second clothes after someone is no longer alive? Can weird grandma vibes be attached to clothes? What can people do so they dont bring creepy vibes with them?

Funnily enough I just bought a M51 army helmet (I think it's South African), and it did cross my mind; should i be wearing this thing? Echt why not. I think it's just in your mind- you know it's got a history, so to speak, so it's only natural to wonder about that history.

Be that as it may...

I don't see why I wouldn't.. I would not wear the pants though just because when you die you **** your pants...

I like the idea that we can still buy some used clothes of qualiy today, I dread to think what the charity shops will have to sell in the future, second hand Primark or made in China or Pakistan? Really, would they last that long? Doubt it and sure can not see any of them being haunted, not if the quality clothes of yesterday are not, the tat has no chance.

• Like 3

i have all of my great grandfather's dresses. (not really) i dunno, "weird gramma vibes" huh? i would't put it past her.

i have all of my great grandfather's dresses. (not really) i dunno, "weird gramma vibes" huh? i would't put it past her.

Your great grandfather wore dresses?

• Like 1

There are many accounts of particular items and pieces of furniture being haunted, where the heck the boundaries/selectivity fall is anyone's guess. I dunno, perhaps a specifically special item like a wedding dress would have significantly more attachment to a deceased person's energies... from what I gather, it has to be intense love of something or somewhere. Everyday clothes, even if you love a particular cardigan or victorian tophat or smoking jacket or whatever, I don't think that's enough to ''qualify'' as being attached to. And does the ghost come calling when someone purchases that dresser you loved or that rocking chair? Or is it activated by certain conditions from the new user's environment? I dunno. The accounts I've read are intriguing but 'activity starts when acquire a new item' is the way it usually goes so doesn't seem much different than regular hauntings.

Edited by DancingCorpse