Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian jet passes near US warship

OverSword

From the article:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea for more than 90 minutes Saturday amid escalating tensions in the region, U.S. military officials said Monday.

In the first public account of the incident, the officials said the Russian Fencer made 12 passes, and flew within 1,000 yards of the USS Donald Cook, a Navy destroyer, at about 500 feet above sea level.

The U.S. warship issued several radio queries and warnings using international emergency circuits, but the Russian aircraft did not respond.

"This provocative and unprofessional Russian action is inconsistent with international protocols and previous agreements on the professional interaction between our militaries," said Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

Read it here

That's less sabre rattling and more teeth rattling ...

• Like 1

When I served in the USN in the early 80's this was a pretty common occurrence, more SOP than anything that "rattled" us, we generally treated it more as training opportunity and not a threat.

• Like 3

I hope that U.S.S Donald Cook was prepared and trained guns on the "bandit".

Why does it seem that America always makes a big deal about something small--blowing it totally out of proportion while building up negatives through the tentacles of our fixed media. Same thing they did to Iraq and Saddam, spewing false accusations left and right concerning WMDs, and yet when they went into Iraq, they sure didn't announce that they were using depleted uranium ammo on the ground and towards the people. Many newborns and children now in that country have numerous physical defects; all the way up to cancer. Unreal, they accuse them of chemicals, and the US were the very ones using it, even our own men will have to contend with the repercussions of depleted uranium. Just like in Vietnam with agent orange.

Edited by NiteMarcher
  • Like 1

And of course the USS Donald F. Trump was minding its own business, doing nothing remotely provocative anywhere near Russian or Ukrainina waters, and is acting all hurt & innocent, of course.

Gulf of Tonkin, anyone ..... ?

• Like 3

Why does it seem that America always makes a big deal about something small--blowing it totally out of proportion while building up negatives through the tentacles of our fixed media. Same thing they did to Iraq and Saddam, spewing false accusations left and right concerning WMDs, and yet when they went into Iraq, they sure didn't announce that they were using depleted uranium ammo on the ground and towards the people. Many newborns and children now in that country have numerous physical defects; all the way up to cancer. Unreal, they accuse them of chemicals, and the US were the very ones using it, even our own men will have to contend with the repercussions of depleted uranium. Just like in Vietnam with agent orange.

what? s you are saying Saddam didnt actually gas all those kurds? and you wouldnt like if a a neighbor ran around your yard naked all night?

Russian airplane was flying near Russian border. USA have its troops over 10.000km away from its borders. Who did provoke who here? I mean, Black sea could be called Russian sea.

What i think is that similar 'enocounters' are happening very often but its not always a 'good story'.

• Like 2

what? s you are saying Saddam didnt actually gas all those kurds? and you wouldnt like if a a neighbor ran around your yard naked all night?

That happened in 1988, if the US had been so concerned about it at the time surely they'd have been able to use that as justification for deposing him in 1991, when I expect they'd have had a great deal of support in doing so. It was stretching it a bit to use that as justification in 2003, i think.

Was it the U.S.S. Taylor that was being buzzed? this ship ran aground in the black sea. :blush: which led to the removal of the ships captain. Cmdr. Dennis Volpe.

Russian airplane was flying near Russian border. USA have its troops over 10.000km away from its borders. Who did provoke who here? I mean, Black sea could be called Russian sea.

What i think is that similar 'enocounters' are happening very often but its not always a 'good story'.

Russia had no direct access to the black sea until they took crimea.
  • Like 1

not strictly true, it was part of Russia until 1954, and they lease Sevastapol as their main naval base on the BS. Besides which, they have direct access to the BS to the east of Crimea, from the Kerch Straits eastwards.

• Like 1

what if the jet crashed into the ship?

they did, they leased sevastopol and feodosia navy bases from ukraine

That is not true at all!

786px-Black_Sea_map.png

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3

the black sea is Russia's only warm water port and access to the Med. - NATO floating about in the black sea is just rubbing Russia up the wrong way.

a few incidents have happened in the late 80's and 90's were Russian Naval ships have rammed US Naval ships in the Black sea. as for incidents regarding Russia coming close to US ship - its something the UK and Norway deals with on a monthly basis. Russia flies its 'bear bombers' around Norway who scramble their fighters, shadowing them as they head towards the UK. were we then scramble our fighter jets. - and its not just a case of them doing it for the fun of it, you can bet Russian spies will be on the ground here in the UK observing RAF airfields to gauge the reaction times.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

what if the jet crashed into the ship?

Sure it would crash... If it was made by 'Bosnian airplane industry'. But it is Russian made airplane, they are known for crushing all over the world, arent they?

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot

When I served in the USN in the early 80's this was a pretty common occurrence, more SOP than anything that "rattled" us, we generally treated it more as training opportunity and not a threat.

A good opportunity for some great pictures, for those on the deck with cameras. Kinda like the guys who used to intercept the Russian aircraft approaching Alaska. :tu:

Sure it would crash... If it was made by 'Bosnian airplane industry'. But it is Russian made airplane, they are known for crushing all over the world, arent they?

I don't think his point was to say Russia makes shoddy aircraft - or even the level of their pilot training being questionable. But accidents do happen, don't they? And in such tense situations it isn't easy to explain away. The real bottom line in all this is Putin feeling that he can do as he wishes because America has a weak, clueless leader. And he is exactly correct. The Ukrainians have to stand and be counted now - IF they do not desire to be under domination by their neighbor. There are NATO allies on the Black Sea and as such the US or any other NATO country has the right to steam there.

I stand corrected. Thought that was all Georgia for some reason.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

This provocative and unprofessional action, to me seems like a distraction one. I'm sure most of the crew on the US Warship had their minds on the Russian Jet, and may have left the Russian slipped through.... something

This provocative and unprofessional action, to me seems like a distraction one. I'm sure most of the crew on the US Warship had their minds on the Russian Jet, and may have left the Russian slipped through.... something

What could they possibly have "slipped through" ?

What could they possibly have "slipped through" ?

gee, if something did slipped through, I be the first one they tell me,

I'm just saying, it seemed to me, an distraction,

if you think different, then please share with us all

:sleepy: Turkey is NATO member, of course there are NATO ships in Black Sea.

Turkey also happens to control Bosphorus, so in other words, NATO controls Bosphorus. Which is funnier fact than it may seem at first glance.

By the way, Russian planes crash at insane rate, because air traffic is how you connect remote areas. It's a huge country with serious climate and absolutely no sense of responsibility. I know everything about Slavic work ethics and I know people who became religious after surviving travelling Russian inner air lines. But they don't see the point in putting in the news every ancient, falling apart Tupolev that crashed, carrying babushkas with live chicken to their early grave.

Yes, yes, that's civil traffic, there must be less rust and loose screws in the military. Aha.