Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 Dead in mass stabbing in Calgary

Thanato

The man suspected of fatally stabbing five people in their 20s at a northwest Calgary house party is the son of a veteran police officer, according to the chief of police.

Matthew de Grood is in custody after four males and a female died following the early-morning stabbings in the city’s Brentwoodneighbourhood, just north of the University of Calgary campus.

Josh Hunter and Zackariah Rathwell have been identified as two of the victims. The pair were members of Calgary band Zackariah and the Prophets, which held its debut album release party Saturday.

Calgary Police Services Chief Rick Hanson said de Grood will likely be charged with five counts of first-degree murder later today.

The stabbings happened around 1:20 a.m. MT on Tuesday at a house party celebrating the end of university classes, police said.

"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," said Hanson at a news conference Tuesday.

De Grood, who attended the University of Calgary, was planning to attend law school, according to multiple sources.

Edited by Thanato

Whats with all the mass stabbings these days, geesh

Lordy I'm hoping this isn't going to end up as some sick trend.

• Like 1

Is there a common factor of Religion behind these stabbings?

I'm almost speechless.

Other than killing someone with your fists the most up close assault, is with a knife. This seems to have become the new mode with spree-killers.

And before anyone wants to introduce guns to the discussion, there are currently threads available that are discussing it. If you can't find one, start your own thread. :) Thank you very much!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

And before anyone wants to introduce guns to the discussion, there are currently threads available that are discussing it. If you can't find one, start your own thread. :) Thank you very much!

Just in spirit of being a smart ass i have to point out that your technically the first one on this thread to mention guns :P

• Like 8

Just in spirit of being a smart ass i have to point out that your technically the first one on this thread to mention guns :P

Dammit!

• Like 1

Have random mass killings always been a part of society? Or is this a modern day phenomenon?

They say Jack the Ripper was the first "serial killer", but I suspect that he was the first one talked bout in any detail.

• Like 4

Have random mass killings always been a part of society? Or is this a modern day phenomenon?

Yes, they've always been a part of society -- or so we suspect. In some cases such murders are "sanctioned" (people killing members of other cultures, races, religions, etc) and in some cases their position gives them an immunity (I'm thinking of Caligula and some of the other Roman emperors.) Those who perform human sacrifices might also be considered to be mass murderers -- likewise executioners (though society deals with those by granting them some sort of social dispensation. Essentially, society also sanctions mass murderers.)

We see such things in the animal world, where one member of a group will kill a number of others of the same group.

• Like 1

They say Jack the Ripper was the first "serial killer", but I suspect that he was the first one talked bout in any detail.

There's a world of difference between a serial killer and a mass (or more properly a "spree") killer.

One kills many over time, one kills many in a short space of time.

• Like 1

Where's the link or did you make this up?

• Like 1

wow, that is scary, maybe drugs? I feel for the families.

I have no idea about Canada, but I was talking recently with a 21 year old in the U.S. and he was, at some point in his life, on meds for ADD or something similar. He said it caused him to be calm on the outside but with pent up rage on the inside. Now this could just be his personality and is anecdotal to be sure, but I do wonder if SOME children who are given these drugs might later have episodes of violence. And of course there are illegal drugs that cause psychotic episodes as well.

This certainly shows that violent events are not limited to guns; knives, screwdrivers, baseball bats, automobiles, anything can be used as a destructive and deadly weapon in the wrong hands and/or wrong state of mind.

Sorry I forgot the link, it was a CBC article.

Anyway, This just keeps showing that it is not the tool that is used but the person who uses it.

It was a sad day. In fact there was another stabbing in Regina that left 4 wounded, no one was killed luckily.

• Like 2

Is there a common factor of Religion behind these stabbings?

Atheism probably. (Teasing!)

• Like 1

That is horrible to hear about. I guess it just goes to show that if someone is crazy enough, they are going to kill people regardless of what kind of weapon they have. You can buy a serviceable carving knife at the dollar store for goodness sake.

• Like 1

Atheism probably. (Teasing!)

The group in China were Muslim extremists I think - not sure. In the US I heard nothing about religion mentioned. It was some mentally ill teen. This one no mention of religion either.

I have no idea about Canada, but I was talking recently with a 21 year old in the U.S. and he was, at some point in his life, on meds for ADD or something similar. He said it caused him to be calm on the outside but with pent up rage on the inside. Now this could just be his personality and is anecdotal to be sure, but I do wonder if SOME children who are given these drugs might later have episodes of violence. And of course there are illegal drugs that cause psychotic episodes as well.

This certainly shows that violent events are not limited to guns; knives, screwdrivers, baseball bats, automobiles, anything can be used as a destructive and deadly weapon in the wrong hands and/or wrong state of mind.

I've always considered medication to be a last resort(be it for physical or mental illness) for conditions that prevent you from properly functioning in day to day life.

Well when Cain killed Able he single handedly wiped out 25% of the human population on the planet - if you believe the Bible that is - so yeah, it's always been a part of society.

• Like 1

Well when Cain killed Able he single handedly wiped out 25% of the human population on the planet - if you believe the Bible that is - so yeah, it's always been a part of society.

Highest per capita kill ratio EVER!!