Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do animals sometimes rain from the sky ?

UM-Bot

Stories of frogs, fish and other creatures falling from the sky like rain have been told for centuries.

One of the earliest recorded examples of this phenomenon took place in AD 77 when small frogs and fish were reported to have fallen from the heavens in a deluge that lasted several minutes.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...in-from-the-sky

Why is it always or almost always just one species rather than a mixture as you would expect if a dust devil or tornado picks up whole ponds and puddles? For example, why ONLY jellyfish? Also such a phenomenon should mix in some birds with the fish for example, or as it transfers from land to sea or vice versa it should be a mixture of fish AND frogs, insects, birds, rats, etc.

And why is it always or almost always a large number of the same animals as in an overpopulated pond rather than just one smallish pond falling in the way of that mini-tornado? It's like these tornadoes go over 50 ponds to pick up the members of just one species from each, because if it were one large body of water it would definitely have to be a mixture.

• Like 4

The story started out uplifting, but then came crashing down.

its raining meatballs, well meat does come from animals

Reminescent of Charles Fort's The Book Of The Damned when frogs, bloods and other strange substances are raining down on Earth.

I suppose a rational explanation is that something lifted them up in the first place, unless they appeared out of nowhere! Tornados and storms carrying them around seems like the best explanation for a rational mind, beyond that it becomes too troubling to consider..

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

The one thing that this article doesn't say is the cases/reports are documented. Without proof, they're just stories. As Rolci stated, why only one type of creature at a time?

Yeah, I always heard this is some type of weather phenom. While the apparent singular species is curious, I think that when fish are involved, more than one type has been found on the ground. Not sure, though.

Why is it always or almost always just one species rather than a mixture as you would expect if a dust devil or tornado picks up whole ponds and puddles? For example, why ONLY jellyfish? Also such a phenomenon should mix in some birds with the fish for example, or as it transfers from land to sea or vice versa it should be a mixture of fish AND frogs, insects, birds, rats, etc.

And why is it always or almost always a large number of the same animals as in an overpopulated pond rather than just one smallish pond falling in the way of that mini-tornado? It's like these tornadoes go over 50 ponds to pick up the members of just one species from each, because if it were one large body of water it would definitely have to be a mixture.

Good point that's what makes the explainations really weird to me too.

When I was a child there was a sudden spot downpure of rain and a dark cloud but not the whole sky was dark and I saw something in the rain and I ran to see. There were hundreds of little tadpoles and baby toads that came down and started hoppying all over the ground.

I ran and brought my parents to see. My dad told me a whirlwind probably sucked up eggs from a nearby swamp and they hatched in the sky and then came down with the rain. Being imaginative, I asked is that where the saying "it's raining cats and dogs" came from and it really rains them too?! LOL

He said I don't think so but it happens with fish a lot.

I never thought about it much until I was having lunch with a friend and she said to someone that she saw it rain frogs and they were making fun of her. I found out it was the same year only she and her friends saw it happen about 15 miles away from where I lived. I didn't really know it was considered a folklore until then.

• Like 2

Because they feel like it???

Horrendous avatar you've got there but your comment gave me quite the chuckle :innocent:

why ONLY jellyfish?

I do not think that these storys carry much truth but jellyfishes might be allegeable by uplifting by a tornado.

The reason for jellyfish only might be resulted on the fact that they do not have the dynamic swim capability

like fishes who quickly escape from such regions. And I think jellyfishes are too stupid to escape as they are

the Beavis and Buttheads of the oceans. ("Look, a tornado" "Yeah, cool" "Look, the whale can fly" "Cool, lets

stay here and wait for what will happen next" "Yeah, cool")

It's not REAL unless the JURY of UM sees it for themselves. :innocent:

• Like 1

Why did the chicken cross the sky? because it couldn't find the road...? um.. yea. okay bye.

Edited by Jyre Cayce

Aliens

From an article I read a while back, the vast majority of all "animals" raining from the sky" cases were actually just animals washed inland during floods or that were flushed out of storm drains after intense rains. Most of the time people never actually saw them fall from the sky, just saw the aftermath and came to conclusions. In some very rare cases, waterspouts and birds have also been responsible for some of these carcasses/animals dropped inland.

Waterspouts seem the most likely source, some are very ephemeral but others are quite strong. I have seen several "thin" waterspouts and one really nasty powerful one over the Caribbean Sea, the latter looked quite capable of lifting a school of fish or tearing a boat to shreds. Tornados and other whirlwinds can be shrouded in rain so that they are difficult to see; what looks to be merely a powerful rainstorm to the casual observer might conceal a tornado. I notice that most of the animals mentioned are ectothermic (cold-blooded) and if sucked up high into the atmosphere and nearly (but not quite) frozen even fish might very well survive quite a long transport through the air, warming up again where they fall.

• Like 2

Since they are usually creatures around water, that might tell you something. Maybe a vortex of doom spun them into the sky and back down with a storm. I'm sure it's an obvious answer, but we're all speculating still.

• Like 1

The reason why there are rains of only one species may be because of differing weights from species to species. Just throwin it out there.:)

Just once I would like a tornado to pick up a Brinks truck and make it rain Money...

The phrase 'Raining cats and dogs' came from England because cats would chase mice on the roofs, then dogs would chase the cats and when the storms came it'd blow the animals off the roof. ^-^

• Like 2

Just once I would like a tornado to pick up a Brinks truck and make it rain Money...

This did happen once(or twice), but not due to a tornado...

Years ago some dumbarse security guard forgot to secure the rear doors of an armored truck.

While going over a bumpy bridge, the rear doors flew open and thousands of dollars of bagged quarters fell out(either on the bridge or the road below, I don't recall)

The bags burst open, and people were scooping-up the quarters before the police could arrive and secure the scene.

An unknown amount was never recovered(the missing amount was never officially reported)

OK, sorry, back on topic.

• Like 2

The phrase 'Raining cats and dogs' came from England because cats would chase mice on the roofs, then dogs would chase the cats and when the storms came it'd blow the animals off the roof. ^-^

:lol:

A tornado's eye can lift anything in it's path. There have even been cases of cows being picked up by them.

Years ago, back when I was in high school, my AP History teacher taught us that the phrase "raining cats and dogs" came from the fact that cats/dogs would curl up in straw roofs for warmth. But straw roofs aren't the sturdiest structures in the world especially when they are soggy and wet. So every once in a while someone's roof would cave in and dogs and cats would rain down on them.