Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Saru

Are robonauts better than astronauts ?

4 posts in this topic

Are robonauts better than astronauts ?

2.jpg

Click here to watch video - 02:48s

Michio Kaku explores whether we are better off sending robots in to space instead of people.

I couldn't get the vid to play here on my work computer, so I don;t know what position he takes on this, but my feelings are that while robots can be very useful in space exploration,

I still think that using human crews offers much more versatility, and flexibility than robots do... A robot can only do what it is programmed to do, while a person can "re-program" themselves for

spur of the moment tasks "on-the-fly"...

Plus if people never go to space.... people will never go to space... (if that makes sense)

Robonauts are not better than Astronauts, but before we go anywhere it would be sensible to send a few Robonauts to test the conditions of the place we intend to explore.

He makes a great point, no need for food, or air, or a return trip and if the robot "dies," build another. It's not a bad compromise until the day come when we find a cheaper and safer way to go into space, and if you could actually control them like an avatar, that would be quite an accomplishment. There is still the problem of a time delay, even at the speed of light it takes a bit for the signals that control your avatar robot to reach them. So you can't just start walking towards a cliff, you have to plan ahead, carefully.