Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lab loses 2,000 vials of deadly SARS virus

UM-Bot

France's Pasteur Institute revealed the blunder after it discovered that the vials had gone missing.

Authorities are now conducting a thorough investigation in to the incident to determine the whereabouts of the vials and how they managed to disappear.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...adly-sars-virus

da fah? Oh no, that's not scary at all!

how the feek can you lose 2,00 virals of a virus that was in a lab?

• Like 4

news correction:

"The research institute announced to the public on Sunday (April 13) that some 29 tubes containing 2,349 fragments of the SARS virus (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) have been missing since January 2014, however it also reassured the public that the samples were not potentially infectious."

http://www.euronews.com/2014/04/15/l-institut-pasteur-files-case-over-2000-mising-samples-of-sars-virus/

It's 2,000 samples missing but only 29 tubes missing.

• Like 2

The topic is missleading as the missing vials just contained fragments of the virus those do not pose a threat to humans. This fact is

also mentioned in the article.

But I see a general problem here that was uncovered by the published incident. 2.000 vials of a biological substance went missing and

its still unknown where these vials are now. That is an indicator therefor that the quality/sample storage management systems at the

institut are some kind of rotten. The Institute Pasteur is also dealing, in cooperation with Laboratoire P4/Lyon, with samples classified

to Biosafety Level Class 4, means with infectious agents like Ebola, HIV, Marburg/Hanta/Lassa virus and equivalents. The number of

labs globally that are approved and equipped to handle BSL4 samples is just at approx 50 and the levels to reach such standard are the

highest possible. So if the systems failed with relative harmless substances already, the question must be asked if the institutes sample

security systems for BSL4 agents are at the same stage of bad quality as for the biosafety levels below class 4.

• Like 3

The topic is missleading as the missing vials just contained fragments of the virus those do not pose a threat to humans.

Except for the possibility that if stolen they could be engineered to pose a threat to us.

Forgetting all that though, what I would like to know is why people handling dangerous viruses. Weren't properly trained or why there wasn't proper security with these sorts of things.

Mark my words, stolen vials of something will be the thing that causes the zombie

apocalypse. Well off to get prepared, good luck everyone. It was nice knowing you.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant
  • Like 1

Except for the possibility that if stolen they could be engineered to pose a threat to us.

It`s not like LEGO.

Forgetting all that though, what I would like to know is

why people handling dangerous viruses.

The handling of viruses and infectious substances is required within clinical trials, scientific research and diagnostics.

Weren't properly trained or why there wasn't proper security

with these sorts of things.

You can be sure that the Standard Operation Procedures are well-defined but the reality does not always reflect the SOPs contents.

Edited by toast

But I see a general problem here that was uncovered by the published incident. 2.000 vials of a biological substance went missing

Not 2,000. Check the link I posted. 29 vials containing 2,000 fragments.

• Like 1

Not 2,000. Check the link I posted. 29 vials containing 2,000 fragments.

I added my post after your 2nd post and there was/is no need for an update of my post as the numbers mentioned

in the media still vary. Anyway, it is unlikely that the number of virus fragments has been counted based on the fact

that the dims of a virus are approx 50nm (0,00005mm). But the numbers are not the key issue here so nitpicking will

not make anyone smarter.

Loses? ok. Those freaks need to be psychologically evaluated and so much more.

I'm pretty damn sure it was stolen, it's not just teleporting.

the viruses grew legs and walked out in protest ...

only 29 vials ???? :cry:

~ I wonder what kind of damage just one vial can do ~

I think that if they can lose those so easily then they need to do something about how they contain things...security? What about the other dangerous things that is there? What's going to go missing next?

*sigh*Who was on charge that night? Have they been fired(Hopefully)And how do you loose stuff like this?It really boggles my mind.

Mark my words, stolen vials of something will be the thing that causes the zombie

apocalypse. Well off to get prepared, good luck everyone. It was nice knowing you.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: