Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artists 'have structurally different brains'

Still Waters

Artists have structurally different brains compared with non-artists, a study has found.

Participants' brain scans revealed that artists had increased neural matter in areas relating to fine motor movements and visual imagery.

The research, published in NeuroImage, suggests that an artist's talent could be innate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-26925271

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarMountainKid

• Still Waters

• Gunn

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself to be an artist and generally a creative person. Why am I a musician when others are not? Why can I create stories and characters in stories when others don't seem to be able to? Is it just this is where my interest lies, and others could do the same if they concentrated on it?

Maybe it's the innate structure of my brain, as the article states. I do think so. I have very good visual imagery. Being a bass player, the patterns of fingering on the strings always are visual patterns to me. That's how I learned to play the instrument, by visualizing the succession of placements my fingers move on the fretboard.

Most artist tend be visual learners who study patterns, along with a strong imagination. The more powerful the imagination, the more artistic flair. With a little bit of eccentricity to add.