Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A British tourist is to be deported from Sri Lanka because of a tattoo of Buddha on her arm.

Sri Lankan police said Naomi Michelle Coleman, 37, was arrested at Bandaranaike International Airport in the capital, Colombo, after she arrived from India.

A police spokesman said she was arrested for "hurting others' religious feelings" after the tattoo of a Buddha seated on a lotus flower was spotted on her right arm.

https://uk.news.yaho...29.html#O5xRiQ2

• Like 1

Serves her right for pandering to other peoples right to be offended over absolutely nothing...

• Like 4

I wonder what the Compassionate Buddha would have to say about it all .... not seeing how failing to recognise one's own "suffering" or in the case "taking offence" is honouring his life's work personally.

• Like 1

Crazy. I bet while they arrested her for a tattoo of a Buddha, they gave clearance to someone with a tattooed swastika on their forehead.

• Like 2

Crazy. I bet while they arrested her for a tattoo of a Buddha, they gave clearance to someone with a tattooed swastika on their forehead.

Actually that might offend them too - the swastika is a sacred symbol in Buddhism and means nothing like what it stood for with the Nazis. On that note, we had a chinese festival in Melbourne some years ago where the flower arrangements were done in the shape of a swastika - the Jews were deeply offended and the arrangements had to be removed. This world is a little crazy no matter where you live on it I think.

The Swastika in Buddhism

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/swastika.htm

The swastika (Sanskrit svastika, "all is well") is a cross with four arms of equal length, with the ends of each arm bent at a right angle. Sometimes dots are added between each arm.

The swastika is an ancient symbol found worldwide, but it is especially common in India. It can be seen in the art of the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Celts, Native Americans, and Persians as well Hindus, Jains and Buddhists.

The swastika's Indian name comes the Sanskrit word svasti, meaninggood fortune, luck and well being.

• Like 3

At least she was deported...when the cartoons of Muhammad got published by the Danes that resulted in death threats...

Extreme I know..

heres the image

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610239/Just-sleeve-British-woman-deported-Sri-Lanka-Buddha-tattoo-insults-local-religion.html

Edited by Still Waters
Replaced copyrighted image with source link

Well ... she should have just covered it up, but still this is silly. There's tons of people with tattoos of crosses and Jesus and every other Christian variation... I'm not getting my feelings hurt by it.

Well ... she should have just covered it up, but still this is silly. There's tons of people with tattoos of crosses and Jesus and every other Christian variation... I'm not getting my feelings hurt by it.

yep, you cant have a tattoo of Buddha, but you can probably buy the statues in the tourist shops :yes:

heres another story on the same thing, first heres the image

http://weirdcrime.ne...-statue-photos/

Update -

A British tourist arrested in Sri Lanka because she had a Buddha tattoo on her arm said she has been offered a holiday in the country "as an apology".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-27138254

• Like 1

Actually that might offend them too - the swastika is a sacred symbol in Buddhism and means nothing like what it stood for with the Nazis. On that note, we had a chinese festival in Melbourne some years ago where the flower arrangements were done in the shape of a swastika - the Jews were deeply offended and the arrangements had to be removed. This world is a little crazy no matter where you live on it I think.

I wasn't aware of this fact. It certainly made my first comment a bit redundant haha.

Because of its use in WWII, the most common meaning behind the swastika has trumped me to realize there might be a prior history of the symbol.

This is why I love this board. I learn something new everyday. It's brain food!

• Like 2

The real insult, in my opinion, is that they think for even a moment, she'd be interested in going back. Nothing but that ridiculous idea deserves to be frowned upon.

Edited by cisum

I wasn't aware of this fact. It certainly made my first comment a bit redundant haha.

Because of its use in WWII, the most common meaning behind the swastika has trumped me to realize there might be a prior history of the symbol.

This is why I love this board. I learn something new everyday. It's brain food!

The Nazis messed it all up. This and the whole Germanic history of my homecountry including it's mythology. What a shame.

The real insult, in my opinion, is that they think for even a moment, she'd be interested in going back. Nothing but that ridiculous idea deserves to be frowned upon.

I don't see an apology as an insult. :) And sometimes it's good to forgive and forget.

The "swastika" as a Buddhist symbol is not the same as the Nazi variation. It's at an angle and the arms point the opposite way. I would ascribe any identification of the two to ignorance.

• Like 1

I don't see an apology as an insult. :) And sometimes it's good to forgive and forget.

In no way do I mean that she should hold a grudge nor am I against the apology. I just think the offer is nonsensical considering the unnecessary disrespect she was shown to begin with. While I'm sure Naomi is willing to forgive and forget, in her mind, the damage has no doubt already been done.

I'd turn down the offer. If there are those offended enough to arrest her, there are also those offended enough to cause her harm. This is a good example of why blasphemy laws do more harm than good.