Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists baffled! 100 tonne boxes

Anton25

Excuse me for asking but wouldn't the wood kind of wear out quickly when used with sand on granite?

Look at the size of those granite boxes.

You really believe that?

You use another block of wood.

Don't tell me,

Chisels (copper; nope too soft. Bronze? Nope too soft). Sand? Erm how does one get flat surfaces to engineering precision like that over a large area in granite?

Your turn.

What?

Excuse me for asking but wouldn't the wood kind of wear out quickly when used with sand on granite?

Look at the size of those granite boxes.

You really believe that?

The method was to use a hand held granite block along with sand and water to sand the larger granite block. Don't mistake ancient humans as stupid. They were extremely intelligent and resourceful. There were thousands of years of trial and error that went into their construction methods. Aliens were not needed to teach them anything.

• Like 3

Is there really a reason to believe any tools at all, other than human hands, were used? If one follows the logic being presented here, these enormous stone boxes, and their lids, may well have been coaxed from the living rock purely through the rubbing touch of skilled human hands.

And why not? These people had endless reserves of time and human capital at their disposal.

Is there really a reason to believe any tools at all, other than human hands, were used? If one follows the logic being presented here, these enormous stone boxes, and their lids, may well have been coaxed from the living rock purely through the rubbing touch of skilled human hands.

And why not? These people had endless reserves of time and human capital at their disposal.

Yeah;

There are numerous drill marks, saw marks, even circular saw marks or so I read. The mystery to me is why the boxes were carved out of a single block rather than being assembled in pieces, which you would think would be easier..

Yeah;

There are numerous drill marks, saw marks, even circular saw marks or so I read. The mystery to me is why the boxes were carved out of a single block rather than being assembled in pieces, which you would think would be easier..

It sure would be easier to do it in pieces. In fact, stone experts today have said it would be impossible to create such a box from a single piece even using modern equipment...much less a 70 ton box and 20 ton lid BOTH carved from the same lump of stone.

Edited by lilthor

A google image search confirms that it is indeed the Serapeum of Saqqara. :yes:

And, in fact, scientists are not "baffled" by this. Roman engineers were moving larger stones (see Baalbek) by this time period... and the stones weigh 70 tonnes, not 100 tonnes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapeum_of_Saqqara

The large statues that the Egyptians moved also were 40 tons or more -- so they'd been doing this for a long time.

It sure would be easier to do it in pieces. In fact, stone experts today have said it would be impossible to create such a box from a single piece even using modern equipment...much less a 70 ton box and 20 ton lid BOTH carved from the same lump of stone.

I wonder if there were religious or cultural reasons for using a single block of stone as there seem no practical ones, seeing as difficulty of manufacture is radically increased. Further, these boxes were used for Apis Bulls so functionally, any stone box would have served the purpose.

I guess in your next post you will show the evidence for this claim ?

There must be some "stone experts" (i think you mean stone masons) you can quote on that ?

I guess in your next post you will show the evidence for this claim ?

There must be some "stone experts" (i think you mean stone masons) you can quote on that ?

No, in this post I'm going to insist that you lift a finger and do a bit of your own research. That will save the forum from seeing a repeat of an interview most all here have seen many times.

I am so sorry to have taken up so much of you precious time. Won't happen again. Sorry !

They didn't have any cardboard boxes in those days, and stone ones last longer.They used them to ship out the Easter Island figures,and they were returned empty.

• Like 1

Giants?? I seen god as a giant.. Did these used to walk the planet.

Did you went to school?

• Like 4

I am so sorry to have taken up so much of you precious time. Won't happen again. Sorry !

Much appreciated. And no, I did not mean "stone mason". The expert interviewed was the owner of a business that produces massive black granite surface plates, ground and polished to within .00005" flatness and are used in industrial inspection rooms and as bases for machining centers. These guys are as close as it gets today to producing the sort of precision granite works found at the Saqqara and elsewhere.

Unreal!

Every time someone starts a fascinating thread, leave it to the kill-joys to come in and the thread!

You guys have your flavor of religion, and I have mine. AS far as I am concerned here at U-M,

MORE ALIENS!!MORE ALIENS!!MORE ALIENS!!MORE ALIENS!!MORE ALIENS!!

post-124371-0-77171000-1398387400_thumb.

Unreal!

Every time someone starts a fascinating thread, leave it to the kill-joys to come in and the thread!

You guys have your flavor of religion, and I have mine. AS far as I am concerned here at U-M,

There is no alien intervention here so why don't you say "More fantasy, more fantasy, more fantasy!" instead. No one is saying you can't fantasize but when you make an assertion that ancient man couldn't create teh wonders he did then you are going to have a problem here because you need proof and none of what is posted here would be construed as proof.

The methodology for creating these massive structures has been shown innumerable times here but the usual suspects, who are immune to reason, keep forgetting to follow the links. Apparently the truth isn't as fun as dreaming about star-ships leaving their home planets orbiting a distant star and crossing the galaxy to visit earth where they proceed to build stone boxes and then bury them. Sounds stupid when you say it like that, doesn't it? That's because it is stupid. Don't be stupid.

• Like 4

Unreal!

Are you saying those kill joys, who attribute the manufacture of these boxes to humans - and not aliens, are religious? It's more humanist than anything.

And, your chant for 'MORE ALIENS'...it sounds like a proclamation of faith to me.

Edited by Mangoze
  • Like 2

In fact, stone experts today have said it would be impossible to create such a box from a single piece even using modern equipment...much less a 70 ton box and 20 ton lid BOTH carved from the same lump of stone.

I looked, but could not find any stone experts who said it would be impossible. It would be a tough task, yes, but not impossible.

• Like 1

Before there were labor unions, workers rights and people complaining about everything there was a guy with a whip.

You really want to be the one to say it cant be done to him?

Humans were not always lazy. With the right motivation all things can be achieved.

Might I add, getting a cardboard box that weighs 100lbs. or more shipped seems to be a monumental task these days.

I think we can all say beyond any doubt that the entirety of outer-****ing-space is too big to say "Aliens don't exist." And not look like a closed minded @55, so I feel the real question is "Are they here?" Are they in our solar system and(more importantly), are they on earth?

Do we have anything they want? Seriously, if we are like ants to them, then why should they pay us any mind?

I don't concern myself with the affairs of ants, so why would they?...

Edited by Midyin

Another site talking about the giant boxes....

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpopular-science/did-ancient-aliens-build-giant-stone-boxes-egypt

The most obvious is, of course, ancient aliens. Whenever people can't imagine how anything got done without the use of modern technology, they assume extraterrestrials must have helped. For instance, I can't imagine how friends used to meet up at bars before smart phones with texting and GPS, so I assume they were delivered straight to the beer garden by bug-eyed creatures in flying saucers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapeum_of_Saqqara

Mariette found one undisturbed burial, which is now at the Agricultural Museum in Cairo. The other 24 sarcophagi, of the bulls, had been robbed.

So one of these giant sarcophagi, used for super important holy bulls, was found unopened with a bull in it. And not a Nephilim. Dang! To bad.

• Like 4

There's two options here, one is terribly sad, the other just terrifying.

The former is we did it and we've forgotten how.

The later is someone else did and for some reason they've not come back.

There's two options here, one is terribly sad, the other just terrifying.

The former is we did it and we've forgotten how.

The later is someone else did and for some reason they've not come back.

Ancient aliens to ancient humans:

- You can't even learn how to cut and polish a stone !

Screw you guys, we are going home. :clap:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2